The Newcastle Takeover

That argument doesn't make sense to me. If someone chooses to be a vegetarian, does that mean that no-one else is allowed to eat meat?

I don't really get your point.

If these people owning Newcastle is wrong then they should not have been allowed to take them over - this is what I think should have happened.

What has happened is that they have been allowed to take them over and it's seemingly down to some football manager to decide the rights and wrongs of things and publicly justify them.

Either it's right or wrong to allow these people to run Newcastle. If it's right then each potent employee makes their personal moral decision and that's the end of it. If it's wrong then they should be prevented from running Newcastle.

Either it's right or wrong to allow these people to run Newcastle. If it's right then each potent employee makes their personal moral decision and that's the end of it.

As you point out, The FA have decided that it is 'right'. So Eddie is left to 'make his personal moral decision'.

The press then have the right to ask Eddie about his 'moral decision', don't they?

Where do you stop, though?

Manchester City too (China and UAE human rights issues)?
Sheffield Utd (Saudi)

Why the focus on Newcastle alone?

I agree it's a bit of a sliding scale like you say.

I think the difference is that Newcastle is owned directly by the state of Saudi Arabia so it's owners are directly responsible for the state's actions whereas Man City or Chelsea are associated with a state.

After those you're then making people guilty by passport.

As you point out, The FA have decided that it is 'right'. So Eddie is left to 'make his personal moral decision'.

The press then have the right to ask Eddie about his 'moral decision', don't they?

Of course, but that's not the thrust of the questions as it appears to me. Eddie Howe's moral decisions are up to him and the fact he's taken the job gives people their answer on that. People can agree with him or not but, like eating meat, it's a personal decision that he doesn't have to justify to anyone.

My issue is that people concentrate on the personal morality of footballers and managers when really it's a bigger issue than that and it should be addressed at a higher level.

Where do you stop, though?

Manchester City too (China and UAE human rights issues)?
Sheffield Utd (Saudi)

Why the focus on Newcastle alone?
Thats as pointless as me saying why bother at all? If someone asks the SUFC Manager about it then great.

I saw an Italian club (Verona?) were fined after their fans displayed a banner relating to the Ukraine-Russia conflict. It seems hypocritical to do that when every club has to take a stance in support of Ukraine.

I agree it's a bit of a sliding scale like you say.

I think the difference is that Newcastle is owned directly by the state of Saudi Arabia so it's owners are directly responsible for the state's actions whereas Man City or Chelsea are associated with a state.

After those you're then making people guilty by passport.

My personal opinion is that there is absolutely no way that a nation state should be able to own a football club even indirectly. Easy to say but in reality they will just do it through murky middlemen if a rule was brought in. Newcastle haven't even tried to disguise it.

Thats as pointless as me saying why bother at all? If someone asks the SUFC Manager about it then great.

I saw an Italian club (Verona?) were fined after their fans displayed a banner relating to the Ukraine-Russia conflict. It seems hypocritical to do that when every club has to take a stance in support of Ukraine.

The banner had a Russian and Ukraine flag on it, plus the coordinates of naples.

I don't think it was in support of anything... apart from bombing the city of naples it seems...

Eddie Howe believes Newcastle United’s mid-season trip to Saudi Arabia inspired the club’s impressive run of form.

Only title-cashing Liverpool are above Howe’s side in the Premier League form table right now, with six wins in their last seven outings lifting the Magpies 10 points clear of the relegation zone. A nine-game unbeaten run has quashed fears about relegation and supporters are already dreaming about the prospect of next season.

It is a dramatic turnaround that did not look conceivable when the squad jetted off to the Middle East at the end of January. Newcastle were fresh from claiming their second win of the season against Leeds but were still plunged in a relegation dogfight - sitting 18th in the table and one point from safety.

The week-long trip was seen as an inevitability by some as it gave Saudi Arabia their first look at a football team its sovereign wealth fund had recently acquired. Since the trip, the Magpies have claimed a further five victories and are now comfortably out of the bottom three, with the Newcastle dressing room looking as united as ever.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo...ews/eddie-howe-reveals-moment-united-23374230

On a grey Wednesday at Newcastle United’s Little Benton training ground, Eddie Howe settled into his chair to face the inevitable questions about Saudi Arabia.

Four thousand miles away Boris Johnson had the red carpet rolled out for him in Riyadh as his ministers wrestled with many of the same questions about forging an alliance with a nation that beheaded 81 people in a single grim day earlier this month.

Welcome to the Premier League, 2022. It is a complicated, grim business at times but in that respect it neatly mirrors British life.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...ited-difficult-questions-saudi-arabia-1520718

A man from Weymouth has been charged following reports that a man ran on to the pitch at the Everton v Newcastle United Premier League fixture at Goodison last night (Thursday 17 March).

At around 8.55pm it was reported that a man disrupted the match by running on to the pitch and tying himself to the goal post at the Howard Kendall Gwladys Street End.

Louis McKechnie, 21, from , Weymouth, was charged with Pitch Encroachment and Aggravated Trespass and is due to attend Liverpool Community Justice Court on Tuesday April 19.

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/2...kechnie-ties-goal-everton-v-newcastle-united/

A man from Weymouth has been charged following reports that a man ran on to the pitch at the Everton v Newcastle United Premier League fixture at Goodison last night (Thursday 17 March).

At around 8.55pm it was reported that a man disrupted the match by running on to the pitch and tying himself to the goal post at the Howard Kendall Gwladys Street End.

Louis McKechnie, 21, from , Weymouth, was charged with Pitch Encroachment and Aggravated Trespass and is due to attend Liverpool Community Justice Court on Tuesday April 19.

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/2...kechnie-ties-goal-everton-v-newcastle-united/
No doubt he's one of the 'woke' brigade.

Anything or anyone the disrupts the Corrupt PL is Ok with me...and i'm not sure this guy is entirely and habitually Woke... maybe he just don't like Power and Money Bods having the last say on moral issues involving funding of clubs associated with bullying regimes.
But ..Its all open to conjecture and true facts being proved I guess...so...

Would Eddie be under so much scrutiny if Putin hadn't invaded Ukraine? Yes, questions were there previously, but the sanctions against other owners and greater scrutiny since is just highlighting what previously could be fobbed off.
He may be thinking, ****************, timing of this is all wrong, but he can't now run away
If its a turning point, then great. But on a lesser scale, going back 40 years or more, how many owners of their local town club has skeletons in the closet? It may not have been executions of course, bit if anyone expects football club owners to be squeaky clean, welcome to dreamland

;