Thoughts on the match v Peterborough

Sounds like my cue :)

Here's the xG timeline, nothing really that you wouldn't have picked up from watching it. We were dominant. They had 4 chances, all rated less than 1 in 16, we had two big chances - Rogers' early effort (58%) and Dom's late chance (64%) - and a host of other efforts. Too often that final ball went astray though.

View attachment 6442
It's not been mentioned, and I've a split mind on it. If Rogers had pulled the ball back Solanke would have had a tap in, but you'd want a forward with a focus on scoring themselves if it is a big chance.

As someone said (apologies to them, I can't find the post again) the xG vs Luton was heavily not in our favour, but we glossed over it as we took 3 points. Likewise if Dom had scored and we won 1-0 I think the criticism would have been muted. That shouldn't stop Parker from looking at the underlying stats and working out how the team can improve though. When the opposition park the bus (Hull and Peterborough) then the first goal is always the most difficult and in both games we did have the chances to win them.
Didn't get a great view of the early Rogers chance, but I thought he'd shift onto his right foot and slot it in, alas I think he went left to the near post which is much harder!

I would have thought Dom's shot on the turn from 6 yards would have seen a larger bump in the xG, although I wasn't sure if it would have counted or been flagged offside.

Brooks' shot from the corner routine also comes to mind, which looked very presentable but also seems to register just a small bump on the second half timeline.

Didn't get a great view of the early Rogers chance, but I thought he'd shift onto his right foot and slot it in, alas I think he went left to the near post which is much harder!

I would have thought Dom's shot on the turn from 6 yards would have seen a larger bump in the xG, although I wasn't sure if it would have counted or been flagged offside.

Brooks' shot from the corner routine also comes to mind, which looked very presentable but also seems to register just a small bump on the second half timeline.

68% for a spin to hit a dropping ball doesn't seem that low, a penalty is only 80%. I also thought the Brooks chance looked under-rated, watching I thought it was a clear chance - it's only down as 1 in 14, although maybe I was more annoyed he didn't make the keeper work, or a defender block it, than thinking he would score. If that had gone in, from a training ground routine, I don't think the tone towards Brooks would be as harsh. He was regularly in space for a switched ball, but we didn't seem to play it often enough or quickly enough.

It’s not the solution because he wouldn’t be playing as a 10, he’d be playing as an 8 and as such would be asked to do a lot more work and be involved in the physical stuff, something that has impressed me with Christie.
I think that's a really important point. The more central he comes then the more robust he needs to be unless the opposition are going to be really kind and just let him have the time he wants.

I think he'd be better off in the premiership where it tends to be less physical in the middle of the park.

he is also incredibly skilful, can do things no-one else can, and has created a few goals this season
What can he do that nobody else can? Most wingers in this league are capable of moments of brilliance, trouble with Brooks is that he delivers these moments at best once every five games. It’s not good enough for a team with aspirations to go up, not even close.

What can he do that nobody else can? Most wingers in this league are capable of moments of brilliance, trouble with Brooks is that he delivers these moments at best once every five games. It’s not good enough for a team with aspirations to go up, not even close.
Well if he's as bad as you say, no-one is going to buy him, so we (the club) should keep encouraging him to be the best he can be.

Sounds like my cue :)

Here's the xG timeline, nothing really that you wouldn't have picked up from watching it. We were dominant. They had 4 chances, all rated less than 1 in 16, we had two big chances - Rogers' early effort (58%) and Dom's late chance (64%) - and a host of other efforts. Too often that final ball went astray though.

View attachment 6442
It's not been mentioned, and I've a split mind on it. If Rogers had pulled the ball back Solanke would have had a tap in, but you'd want a forward with a focus on scoring themselves if it is a big chance.

As someone said (apologies to them, I can't find the post again) the xG vs Luton was heavily not in our favour, but we glossed over it as we took 3 points. Likewise if Dom had scored and we won 1-0 I think the criticism would have been muted. That shouldn't stop Parker from looking at the underlying stats and working out how the team can improve though. When the opposition park the bus (Hull and Peterborough) then the first goal is always the most difficult and in both games we did have the chances to win them.

I am always interested to read these stats (and the ones from the BBC) to see if they were at the same game as me. I am sometimes amazed to understand why they didn't see what I saw. For example, in the first half didn't one of the Boro players scoop the ball over the bar when it would have, actually, been easier to score? Yet there is hardly a flicker on your chart. Why is that?

Brooks isn't what I would call a winger and shouldn't be played as one. Without knowing if there are long term effects of his injury I think he is "out of form" because of way we play him.
If Brooks had the form of his PL days he would be the stand out player in this league. I hope he gets the chance to prove himself but I fear it won't happen.

No Plan B sadly. It was well apparent in 2nd half that slow triangles and attempts to get to the by line for the cut back was never going to pay off against a surprisingly well organised defence. A goal never seemed likely. Better to have bitten the bullet, got a bigger body or two into the penalty box ( Mepham, Cahill) and lumped it long ready for the second ball. Not progressive but much more likely to have paid off than the predictable stuff we saw.

Exactly. I thought long balls to Solanke and feeding off the 2nd balls for last 25 mins might have got us a few more chances. Desperately needed to stretch the game a bit...

Nobody has mentioned the referee yet!!!

IMHO he was really poor.

Allowed too much game management and was very reluctant to get his cards out after a few crunching tackles, including one from Lerma, right in front of us, where he just waved play on!!! :ROFLMAO:

Unbelievable Jeff.

:utc:

Nobody has mentioned the referee yet!!!

IMHO he was really poor.

Allowed too much game management and was very reluctant to get his cards out after a few crunching tackles, including one from Lerma, right in front of us, where he just waved play on!!! :ROFLMAO:

Unbelievable Jeff.

:utc:

Oh god those 3 times where the posh players just fell over and the ref bought it. Surely the ref has to be aware that they are going to try it on?

Also their No.4 Thompson was a right pain in the ****************!!

Honourable mention to the person behind me that puked everywhere but fortunately missed me. Hope they are ok.

Very frustrating that we are so predictable. I may be a football tactics dinosaur but every now and then playing one "over the top" will put doubt in defenders minds for when we do the intricate triangles thing.

Too often we had the opportunity for a quick break and passed sideways and back. Not every attack has to start with 4 touches from each CB and a couple from the keeper for good measure.

Good question, I'd forgotten about this incident. I think it was classified as a clearance from Cahill, and so therefore wasn't a shot. That's what Kris was saying on the commentary. However, watching on iFollow, where we had replays, I thought it looked a bad miss and that Cahill wasn't involved. From the TV camera angle we had it looked like it was going it. I'm guessing (I just report the infogol stats) that if they had thought the Peterborough player had got there first it would have recorded somewhere in the 0.45 to 0.65 range.

So they may well have had one good chance. I've just looked on the BBC site and it is saying 4 chances, 1 on target (the soft free kick) so I think the general consensus was that it was a clearance. (correctly or not)

;