Thoughts on the match v Peterborough

We had Danjuma in attack who was just MOM v Man U in Champions league.

Had him this year and how many points would we have…. A goal out of nothing in a turgid game was his speciality and we lacked that tonight.
That Derby game was Arnie's first game back from a long injury.....he had missed the previous 11 games!....quite a sizeable chunk out of JTs reign isn't it?......JT was gone before Arnie got back up to speed.....how many more points would we had if he hadn't got that injury?
In fairness some of our best performances under JT came without Danjuma so maybe it's not much of an excuse for either JT or Parker.

That might be the solution. Brooks simply isn't a chalk dust on his boots player and if that's what SP wants from that position he's rarely going to look good, whatever his form.

It’s not the solution because he wouldn’t be playing as a 10, he’d be playing as an 8 and as such would be asked to do a lot more work and be involved in the physical stuff, something that has impressed me with Christie.

That might be the solution. Brooks simply isn't a chalk dust on his boots player and if that's what SP wants from that position he's rarely going to look good, whatever his form.
I’m not sure what type of player he is tbh. Looks lost hugging the touchline, yet when coming infield he often runs into traffic and misplaces simple passes. How long can he live off a six month spell in 2017 for?

Christie and Brooks need to get their shooting boots on, pearson and lerma rarely score from distance

Its a marathon and rogers, lowe, lewis cook should help spread the load.

he is also incredibly skilful, can do things no-one else can, and has created a few goals this season
Last night the AFCB live blog was full of "lovely bit of skill there from Brooks to....", it sounded like he was having a great game. I guess none of these great bits of skill resulted in goals but I think he at least created chances for others.
I'm not ready to give up on the lad just yet but I will admit that his lack of consistency makes it hard to justify making him the first name on the team sheet. The trouble is, I think he needs to be a regular in the side if we are to get the best out of him. He always seems to get spells out ill or injured, just as he is starting to figure out where his teammates are going to be.
I'm sure the effort is there, even if he sometimes does look disinterested. I think that's just his aura, some players do come across a bit like that - a languid style. But I doubt that SP will stand for anybody out there not giving it their all.

Christie and Brooks need to get their shooting boots on, pearson and lerma rarely score from distance

Its a marathon and rogers, lowe, lewis cook should help spread the load.
I think this has to be our plan B against teams sitting deep to hold us to a 0-0.
At some point we need the players on the pitch who are able to "have a dip son !" and then instruct the team to get the ball to them. The second part of this plan is to instruct the rest of the team to follow in every shot from distance to pick up any loose balls for a tap in. I think you do need a change of plan once it becomes clear that the opposition is not going to let you play through them, so something like this could see us turn a 0-0 into a 0-1 from time to time.
We still default to trying to pass the ball into the back of the net with intricate play, when sometimes, against certain teams, it would be more effective to be more direct and hope for a lucky bounce or deflection.

Last edited:
I still dont understand why we dont use brooks as a 10, swear all of his best performances were when he was more central.

Christie on the right and brooks in the middle...
I think Christie in the middle is great at closing down compared to brooks .
When you play lerma and 2 in front like last night , Billing 100% starts and then one other .

the thing is when you play out on the right like brooks, when he cuts in he is looking for the little 1-2 with the striker . When only playing 1 striker it has to be perfect. If we played 2 then I think he would benefit

You’re completely missing the point. Of course we won’t win every game, but we are regularly looking like we won’t create chances during games. Look back on Fulham’s defeats for example, they at least looked like scoring. It’s worrying.

Worrying? Lord help us.
I'll worry when we're bottom half.
Just on the way home on the train and wanted to say how good the traveling support was. Loud for the majority of the game. Great atmosphere and decent away evening.

I'm sure some statto is beavering away on a laptop in a dark attic somewhere, working out expected wins/losses (xW/L) based on the number and location of every arbitrary and accidental event that happens during a football match.
I think it'll be based on the number of Fulham fans saying "yeah we're two points behind, but we're losing so much better than the Cherries" ;-)

I'm sure some statto is beavering away on a laptop in a dark attic somewhere, working out expected wins/losses (xW/L) based on the number and location of every arbitrary and accidental event that happens during a football match.

Sounds like my cue :)

Here's the xG timeline, nothing really that you wouldn't have picked up from watching it. We were dominant. They had 4 chances, all rated less than 1 in 16, we had two big chances - Rogers' early effort (58%) and Dom's late chance (64%) - and a host of other efforts. Too often that final ball went astray though.

Capture.JPG
It's not been mentioned, and I've a split mind on it. If Rogers had pulled the ball back Solanke would have had a tap in, but you'd want a forward with a focus on scoring themselves if it is a big chance.

As someone said (apologies to them, I can't find the post again) the xG vs Luton was heavily not in our favour, but we glossed over it as we took 3 points. Likewise if Dom had scored and we won 1-0 I think the criticism would have been muted. That shouldn't stop Parker from looking at the underlying stats and working out how the team can improve though. When the opposition park the bus (Hull and Peterborough) then the first goal is always the most difficult and in both games we did have the chances to win them.

;