Thoughts v Boro

kirsikka

UTC Legend
Parker made a bold choice. Jones being the dangerman for Boro, he decided Smith would be a safer option at left back than Brady. It was a big call to make. If he felt he needed extra defensive cover on that side then you would have thought the industry of Anthony would have been the obvious choice in front of Smith but he played a wildcard in sticking Cantwell out there.

There was a real lack of intensity to the whole match. It was like a game between two sides already on the beach as they had nothing left to play for. When you consider where both clubs are, it was pretty baffling.

Allied to that was some shocking quality. Simple passes and control from both teams you'd be embarrassed to see in a pub league. All round, a terrible first 45 minutes from all 22 players. The second half was marginally better, but no more than that.

We're now three whole matches without testing the opposition keeper. We've lost all incisiveness and inventiveness going forward. The movement is static and the quality of passes is often L2 level.

Kelly's distribution today was at the level that could see Yodel trying to sign him.

Cantwell was... well, I don't know what to make of him. When he arrived I could see what he was trying to do but he seemed to lack the quality or match sharpness to make it happen. Now I'm wondering why he exists. For a player that's supposed to be all about technical ability and clever passes, he played some horrendous simple balls. I was amazed that he wasn't hooked at half time. Parker must have had some masterplan involving him that I couldn't see.

Smith at LB was a man doing a job where he isn't a natural fit. Adequate but no more. Quelle surprise? He was extremely lucky to get away without giving a penalty away. For what it's worth, I thought the handball wasn't one since his hand was down, the parallel the commentators keep trying to bring with the Forest one doesn't hold water since the Forest player's hand was raised. However, the way he took out the Boro player inside the area two seconds later... I can only assume the ref was so focused in indicating no pen he wasn't looking.

We needed Parker has to change the mindset, the approach and the desire of the team at half time. That was a triple fail. Ultimately, it was Groundhog Day with the Sheff Utd game out there with the sides nullifying each other and offering little.

It's still in our hands but we're limping towards the line rather than trying to burst over it. There's still plenty of room for us to throw this away and nerves are really going to start setting in soon. Time for some of the players to stand up and show their quality in the matches to come.

Positive performances:

Smith - Pen incident aside, he did the job asked of him even if it nullified his attacking threat by having him out there. We need him on the other side of the pitch.

Kelly & Phillips - Defensively they were as solid as we could have hoped. To include them here I have to block out what happened when they had the ball at their feet though.

Room for improvement:

Cantwell, Billing, Christie - Where were they? Virtually non-existent out there.

I don't know how many times we expect other teams to bail us out by dropping points but we're there again. The lack of energy was a real worry. You'd expect to see players fighting for everything, straining every sinew. Instead it was lackadaisical. Same from Boro as well to be honest. Both teams bored me today.

Time for Parker to step up as it's been a poor run of performances in the attacking half of the pitch. He needs to change something. Oh, and whilst I'd be delighted if the answer involves Cantwell I'd also be stunned.

Last edited:
Trying to stay positive, but it is definitely difficult after that display of something that resembled football. I did think Ethan Laird played some decent stuff today considering it was his first start he did well. Rest was abysmal though

I am understand that you can’t win every game . I also understand that sometimes loads of injuries and makeshift teams can lose you games .
However we have the biggest squad in the history of the league and we have a manager that is so deluded , that he believes his plan is the master plan.
We don’t dominate games, barely create a chance. It is so disjointed that we rely on Individual quality .
To watch us play, Jesus man you need a lot of patience

Breach of the Trade Descriptions Act if that was supposed to be entertainment.
Parkerball at its best/worst, depending on your viewpoint.

The thing is, that wasn't even Parkerball. We know the patterns of play he wants, for better or worse, and there was absolutely no sign of them out there today. I don't know what that was but it wasn't the usual fare.

Another display of free flowing champagne football. We are truly blessed to be watching this week after week.

My MOTM- Nat Phillips. Purely for the fact that he pretty much picked the ball up in the area and still avoided giving a penalty away. Are referees actually allowed to give penalties against Nat Phillips?

Could have gone either way

Not sure what Billing offers us right now

Laird was a bold choice, did ok

Lowe might have won it with that header, should do better

Another display of free flowing champagne football. We are truly blessed to be watching this week after week.

My MOTM- Nat Phillips. Purely for the fact that he pretty much picked the ball up in the area and still avoided giving a penalty away. Are referees actually allowed to give penalties against Nat Phillips?
You must be creaming yourself.

If/when Parker goes I’ll get behind his successor. Hopefully you’ll go with him though! As I’ve said before, even prior to a match there are no words that look like support from you, just your stream of negative piss.

have fun getting off on this latest opportunity.

;