Thoughts v Boro

I feel slightly embarrassed/annoyed at being so excited for that game - a bit of a let down! They should have had a pen.

One player who seems to create something from nothing is dembele, maybe not starting, but was way to late bringing him on today.

Personally don't think the Phillips hand ball was a penalty, however I thought the Smith one was.

Think we should have also played Smith at right back and a left footed player at LB.

Onwards and upwards, some tough games to come, but games are running out for other teams, we need to lose 3 and forest and Huddersfield win 3. Not there yet but close

I can’t believe that was anything other than two teams playing out a game in mid table while their contracts ran down…

Scott Parker is a vanilla borefest cardigan ruining a good squad. Third manager in a row, you’d wonder if that was possible until you realised our CEO is an ex copper that got the job through being someone’s son in law and is as qualified to run a football club as the kids working the food outlets, just not as bright.

I know there will be a lot of talk of stretching the advantage over Forest by a point and the clean sheet, No easy games blah blah.. by the Parker apologists but jesus, sweet jesus who wants to watch football like that. I’d get it if we had a crap squad and were trying to stay in this division. We don’t we have a ridiculous squad yet still the walking catalogue model cliche picks two midfielders to play out front wide against a back five that had no pace. He committed the cardinal sin of putting a right back out left and combining him with another right footer thus bunging up the 50% of the only two ways he knows how to create a goal. All the subs were too late…

His process is more important than your entertainment. If that’s ok with you than fair enough. 5 on target shots in 270 mins and not one of them would I have let in had I been in goal. That stat with our squad is just frightening.

It’s abysmal. You work hard all week to watch that snooze fest. I know this won’t be a popular view….. Anyway… see you at Cov.

Neil ramping up the personal attacks. But best of all is when he uses counter arguments and tries to dismiss them as having no value.
Actually ND did the same with Tindall.

Last edited:
Business end of the season and we are not doing the business. First half was woeful, dreary stuff. Simple passes going astray. A lack of any form of creativity and Cantwell constantly dragging himself back into the central areas when he should have been on the left wing. Huge open spaces on the left ahead of Smith but no-one there. Again we persisted with the nailbiting goal kicks and Phillips passing the ball straight across goal two yards out. It was enough to make your hair fall out. Second half improved when Parker brought on Anthony, a winger playing as , well , a winger. Then taking off Billing, dropping Solanke back and putting Lowe upfront. Capped off with giving Dembele 7 minutes.
I didn't get it. I didn't get any of it.
3 games. 2 PTS. 0 goals. We're ramping up well for the run in !

Hudders winning ...they are up for it..up for catching us... but probably won't quite make it.
But before anyone says They are Crap...and they have said that before... running parallel to comments about what a ' marvellous' squad We have ( we certainly have Not in Reality).......there is ONLY one thing(s) that counts... R- E- S- U- L- T- S
Reading's RESULT today shows us that ..rubbishy Reading.. desperate for points.
This time of season there is little between top and bottom when it comes to form and RESULTS.....squad sh*t means bugger -all !

Well I enjoyed the game. Most important thing was to extend our advantage over Forest which we did against well organised opponents. On to Coventry on Monday.
I thought I might be the only one reading the comments up to this one!
Yep, after the lunchtime score it was more important not to lose, and we didn't. Thought boro offered minimal up front, but kept shape and defended well. We had a couple of reasonable chances, hit the bar, and a few times we were one good pass away from being through (heard that a few times this season).
Atmosphere was good, it was close, tension was high, and could have gone either way up to the last kick. And as you say, a point better off than we were this morning, I'll take that

Business end of the season and we are not doing the business. First half was woeful, dreary stuff. Simple passes going astray. A lack of any form of creativity and Cantwell constantly dragging himself back into the central areas when he should have been on the left wing. Huge open spaces on the left ahead of Smith but no-one there. Again we persisted with the nailbiting goal kicks and Phillips passing the ball straight across goal two yards out. It was enough to make your hair fall out. Second half improved when Parker brought on Anthony, a winger playing as , well , a winger. Then taking off Billing, dropping Solanke back and putting Lowe upfront. Capped off with giving Dembele 7 minutes.
I didn't get it. I didn't get any of it.
3 games. 2 PTS. 0 goals. We're ramping up well for the run in !
i dont get it either. Subs are like for like. its that front 3. " wide guys all the time, and Solanke on his own. Need even an attempt to mix it up, get 2 guys up front, give them something to think about.

I think a draw was a fair result.
Boro, the better team the first half.
Us the 2nd. Not a lot of chances for both side, Boro probably the happier team tonight.

Parkerball stat - in the first 11 minutes only three of our players touched the ball in their half, two had one touch and Solanke had two or three when he went on a run before losing possession.
Playing Smith at LB was a reasonable decision but putting Cantwell on the left wing against quick defenders did not work. In fact none of our forwards possessed the pace and power needed against a resolute Boro defence.
Our brightest spot was resolute defending, marred only by some woeful passing.

With the exception of Smith and possibly Lewis Cook (won’t include Travers in this because I would expect the outfield players to do this) it just feels that there is nobody with a burning desire to win and set the standard to haul us over the line when the levels are “off”. Too slow, too casual, too many touches, too many passes behind the target, underweighted or to wrong feet, throw ins to players in space that bounce up to waist height for their first touch - pitiful. Regardless of Parker’s role in it, do the players hold each other accountable for that crap? Doesn’t ever feel like it.

Parkerball stat - in the first 11 minutes only three of our players touched the ball in their half, two had one touch and Solanke had two or three when he went on a run before losing possession.
Playing Smith at LB was a reasonable decision but putting Cantwell on the left wing against quick defenders did not work. In fact none of our forwards possessed the pace and power needed against a resolute Boro defence.
Our brightest spot was resolute defending, marred only by some woeful passing.
You can play whatever players you wish and the outcome will be the same .
It’s the way we are set up to play is the issue .

;