Training ground

borisatha - 14/8/2017 20:50

I'm lost.
All this cat this, cat that.
Do any of these cats produce players. For instance how many of these cat players have come through at say, Chelsea, Man City?

Err, Nathan Ake? Didn't some tinpot club pay £20 million for him?

Chelsea have off loaded quite a few this year. Ake, Chalobah, Solanke, Abraham to name a few.

Man City, Chelsea and Everton supply more players than any other teams to the England age groups.

Raheem Sterling was taken by Liverpool from QPR.

Saints have provided quite a conveyor belt of talent in recent years. eg Bale, Shaw, Walcott, Chambers, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Dyer, Lallana, Stephens

blandford_cherry - 14/8/2017 15:01

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/plans-submitted-for-new-training-complex

To me it looks like AFCB have purchased a large chunk of the old Canford Magna Parkland Course and the buildings are fashioned around the existing Clubhouse.

Because it floods so you can't do anything with it, the Riverside course was offered by the owners as a SANG, basically a sop, to compensate for loss of public open space to sway Borough of Poole Planners to give Planning Permission for 324 properties on the other side of Magna Road.

makes sense now when the club said they were in discussions with councils. Poole for the training ground which then enables the new stadium in Bournemouth. Probably the first cross council cooperation in years :hihi:

What's going to be very interesting to see is how the club intend to fund building a training complex and new stadium at more or less the same time. Two massive undertakings, the two biggest physical assets a club can own, projects most clubs work on for years each never mind simultaneously. It's immensely ambitious!

Has Eddie Mitchell put in tender to carry out the works, or is he to busy training the SAS, MI5 etc in anti terrorism tactics.??

So it would seem the top clubs mostly produce players not quite good enough for them, but make a few bob selling them on..
Where as the lot down the road produce good players but can't hold on to them and they also sell them on.

northstandmark - 15/8/2017 09:46

What's going to be very interesting to see is how the club intend to fund building a training complex and new stadium at more or less the same time. Two massive undertakings, the two biggest physical assets a club can own, projects most clubs work on for years each never mind simultaneously. It's immensely ambitious!
It is definitely ambitious, but we are fortunate in that this comes at a time when the relative cost of such infrastructure in proportion to a PL club's revenues is at an all-time low. TV revenues have been going up much faster than construction costs.
So we may have hit a "sweet spot" where it just makes sense to get everything done now.
Not to mention that many clubs would no doubt envy having the chance to build both at the same time, (hopefully) ensuring a certain continuity (architectural, technological, etc.) between stadium and training ground.

CherryBare - 15/8/2017 13:04

I'm guessing the land must of cost a few bob

maybe not as much as we might think. The owners needed to sell and it was not zoned as land for house building so it would possibly have no more value than agricultural land. The buildings/clubhouse would have some value but I suspect the club may have got this at a reasonable cost.

redharry - 15/8/2017 07:41

I can see the training ground being developed over quite a number of years
i was trying to figure out the timeline but I imagine it will need to be in place before breaking ground on the stadium?

USCherry - 15/8/2017 14:10

redharry - 15/8/2017 07:41

I can see the training ground being developed over quite a number of years
i was trying to figure out the timeline but I imagine it will need to be in place before breaking ground on the stadium?

What will be needed at first are the facilities for the first team squad, since that is what is being taken (along with the Athletics stadium) for the footprint of the new ground. Academy and development squad facilities could follow over a longer period.

I think it is also likely that the new athletics track and associated facilities would need to be in place before breaking ground.

canadiancherry - 15/8/2017 12:01

northstandmark - 15/8/2017 09:46

It is definitely ambitious, but we are fortunate in that this comes at a time when the relative cost of such infrastructure in proportion to a PL club's revenues is at an all-time low. TV revenues have been going up much faster than construction costs.
So we may have hit a "sweet spot" where it just makes sense to get everything done now.
Not to mention that many clubs would no doubt envy having the chance to build both at the same time, (hopefully) ensuring a certain continuity (architectural, technological, etc.) between stadium and training ground.

It's very exciting. As I've said before it's the training ground which was going to hold us back at this level.

The Brighton example, whilst we jest is a good one. If you look at their facilities and then compare ours which is basically a field with a fence round to give some privacy from dog walkers, a player is likely to choose Brighton.

The Eddie Howe factor keeps us ahead of the game, this type of training complex as well puts us on another level entirely.

As said previously, if used correctly the new training centre could be used as another income stream by signing players with abilities at a young age, and then if they don’t make our first team squad, sell them on.

It’s probably also the reason why Joe Roach did an about turn and decided to stay with AFCB.

SteveJonesLegend - 15/8/2017 15:15

4FCB - 15/8/2017 14:53

It’s probably also the reason why Joe Roach did an about turn and decided to stay with AFCB.

Is Joe still with us then????

Yes, a coaching restructure was announced recently but Roach remains overall Head of Coaching at our academy, having u-turned on his previous decision to retire.

Rough timeline imo
13 weeks planning - second week in November
Buildings will be modular again and go up either straight away or early New Year
Main work will be ground works, so levelling of relevant areas in New Year with a view to planting the extra trees for privacy and seeding/laying pitches in spring, players start training at Christmas maybe earlier
Dismantle existing training pitches after that (Jan 19) means plenty of time to get the Nou Court ready for for the season opener in August 2020

I see Brenford will start building there new stadium in the early part of the new year according to sky sports, will finish the build in early 2020, that's for a 17500 stadium. We better get our fingers out if we're going to have the stadium finished for the start of the 2020/21 season. I wonder why it's going to take so long us to submit our planning application for our new ground?

;