Training ground

If we increased by 2000, at £30 a ticket over 19 home games is only just over £1m per season. Think even a temp stand of 4000 would cost more than that, plus it wouldn't be ready for the start of the season

I don’t know the exact figures but did do some research a few years ago, I think we would happily get a larger temp stand for that money. Might be wrong of course.

I lean towards spend money on players, establish ourselves as PL/Top Champ club over the next 5 years +, then seriously consider new stadium, or vastle increase Dean Court (if we can buy it back).

Why is now any different to 2015?

We did all the above before and ended up in a position that could have been vastly different had we not been promoted this season.

If we increased by 2000, at £30 a ticket over 19 home games is only just over £1m per season. Think even a temp stand of 4000 would cost more than that, plus it wouldn't be ready for the start of the season

You'd be amazed how quick these structures go up, used to work in this sector, the roof would be the biggest obstacle to overcome.
Both ends at Fulham were built in the close season. ITS basically a giant marcano set.
Didn't Structadean threaten to increase the rent if a bigger south stand was installed.??

How long can a temporary stand last I wonder?

They must have a finite life over a permanent stand so this feeds into the equation.

Plus of course costs of removing the current 'temporary' stand.

It is a fascinating investment decision for accountants. I appreciate not so for normal people.

How long can a temporary stand last I wonder?

They must have a finite life over a permanent stand so this feeds into the equation.

Plus of course costs of removing the current 'temporary' stand.

It is a fascinating investment decision for accountants. I appreciate not so for normal people.

Gillingham have had a temporary stand in place for circa 15 yrs. They do require periodic safety checks on structure and have had to replace the wooden flooring on a few occasions due to wear and tear.

Why is now any different to 2015?

We did all the above before and ended up in a position that could have been vastly different had we not been promoted this season.

Like I said no guarantees, but longer we remain in PL or as top Championship club to keep the money coming in (great timing by us btw, riches now distort competition at Championship level more than ever)the clubs stature, reputation increases over time as a result. Yes, bigger stadium would help with this, but prolonged higher level football achieves this more than anything. Success or relative success, does that more than a stadium or training ground can achieve.

I doubt many of us forecasted a 5 year stay in the PL last time around. Plus we weren;t totally sure about Max's stance around stadium back then, as PL was new territory. None of us know that for sure now (well, a select few no doubt do...), but going by what we do know and reading between the lines, it appears a stadium isn;t a priority in the short term for the current owners/directors...

Its alright saying this could have happened or that could have happened. Running a business of any kind is a risk, and whilst I don;t advocate gung ho or going for broke approaches, theres no getting away from the fact that spending more money on players v other clubs at your level, be it wages or transfers, increases the odds of success. Obviously its nuanced and not as simple as buying everyone in sight. You need to trust the board/owners are able to pick out the right manager, and then sign the right players and make it all come together etc. Allocating signidicant amount of current funds detracts from this, so more likely to struggle to achieve relative success. So far this approach is working.

Maybe Max is trying to bring outside investment, as has been rumoured before, so that funds aren't spread so too thinly.

Last edited:
Like I said no guarantees, but longer we remain in PL or as top Championship club to keep the money coming in (great timing by us btw, riches now distort competition at Championship level more than ever)the clubs stature, reputation increases over time as a result. Yes, bigger stadium would help with this, but prolonged higher level football achieves this more than anything. Success or relative success, does that more than a stadium or training ground can achieve.

I doubt many of us forecasted a 5 year stay in the PL last time around. Plus we weren;t totally sure about Max's stance around stadium back then, as PL was new territory. None of us know that for sure now (well, a select few no doubt do...), but going by what we do know and reading between the lines, it appears a stadium isn;t a priority in the short term for the current owners/directors...
Well we certainly know a bit about his attitude as the club has said officially that he doesn't want to invest in a stadium that he doesn't own and Structadene won't sell.

So I do wonder whether he is desperate to sell, in which case better infrastructure probably makes us a bit more attractive.

Well we certainly know a bit about his attitude as the club has said officially that he doesn't want to invest in a stadium that he doesn't own and Structadene won't sell.

So I do wonder whether he is desperate to sell, in which case better infrastructure probably makes us a bit more attractive.

Maybe, but how much would it cost to build the infrastructure? I'd imagine that would be added to cost for someone interested in buying the club. ALthough I guess, may make life easier for some buyers, in the same way some prefer to pay more for a house that is already decorated/modernised, rather than needing significant overhaul, whereas others like a 'project' and building everything to their own tastes/specifications.

I imagine theres a wider pool of seriously wealthy people interested in buying a PL/top championship v a struggling League 1, Championship club... maybe.

Maybe, but how much would it cost to build the infrastructure? I'd imagine that would be added to cost for someone interested in buying the club. ALthough I guess, may make life easier for some buyers, in the same way some prefer to pay more for a house that is already decorated/modernised, rather than needing significant overhaul, whereas others like a 'project' and building everything to their own tastes/specifications.

I imagine theres a wider pool of seriously wealthy people interested in buying a PL/top championship v a struggling League 1, Championship club... maybe.
True. I expect that football club buyers run in strata, you have the Eddie Mitchells who can buy L1 or 2 clubs, The Maxes who can afford L1 or Championship clubs and then another bunch who can afford lower premier league.

The ones that can afford top clubs always seem to come with issues attached. Although the Liverpool, and Leicester City owners seem OK.

Just can’t see why, if in 5 years before with half a billion pounds flushing through the club why second time around would be any different.

Invest the lot in the playing squad and no guarantees of staying up.

Invest some in infrastructure and no guarantees of going down.

Every single club barring the top 6/7 are one poor season away from relegation. There’s no such thing as an established Premier League side for the vast majority.

Why would the club spunking £30m on a training ground you'll never see make you happy?
Are you really that thick Del or just being your normal argumentative self?
It would mean there was some intent to invest for the future. No I personally would probably never even bother to visit a training ground if one were built. I would be happy in the knowledge that the club is doing it's best to attract better players, to bring forward better younger players for the future, to give the players we have the best facilities for their training and development, to potentially produce the odd young star that could ultimately recoup something toward your £30m figure, to basically just show some intention that we are here for the long haul not just the next season. It was important for Eddie Howe so was he wrong to have wanted it for the club too? Is that enough reasons for you or do I need to offer you more?

Last edited:
The focus appears to be on making us successful as possible on the pitch, which I can understand and back.

Max already has invested a large chunk and although wealthy, is clearly not on the same scale as owners at other clubs.

Some suggest splitting transfer budget/wages with improving the ground/stadium, but I think the people running the club want as much as possible to be used on keeping us in the top flight. Its ok saying we get millions from Sky, but how much goes on wages, transfer fees? Clearly will always been room for improvement, and although simplisitc, directors mgmt are probably thinking 'we could spend x amount less on players, but that increases risk of getting relegated and not getting the income and prestige that comes with being a top flight club. We could use that money to attract better calibre of players'.

Like I say doesn;t guarantee survival, but in general, increases your chances. Building new/bigger ground won;t help us establish ourselves in the short term, and would probably severely detract from our spending budget in the transfer market.

Understand many fans point of view too, re legacy, so its a tough one. Shame for thousands of fans who can;t get in and swell our core fan base.

I lean towards spend money on players, establish ourselves as PL/Top Champ club over the next 5 years +, then seriously consider new stadium, or vastle increase Dean Court (if we can buy it back).
In terms of Max’s wealth, nobody actually knows how much he is worth. He was initially quoted as being worth 150m but he has invested 160m in loans since he has been here and that is before last seasons accounts, so he’s clearly worth a lot more. I’d say it’s fairly likely that he’s a billionaire but to what extent is anybody’s guess.

Are you really that thick Del or just being your normal argumentative self?
It would mean there was some intent to invest for the future. No I personally would probably never even bother to visit a training ground if one were built. I would be happy in the knowledge that the club is doing it's best to attract better players, to bring forward better younger players for the future, to give the players we have the best facilities for their training and development, to potential produce the odd young star that could ultimately recoup something toward your £30m figure, to basically just show some intention that we are here for the long haul not just the next season. It was important for Eddie Howe so was he wrong to have wanted it for the club too? Is that enough reasons for you or do I need to offer you more?
No one is wrong for wanting a new training ground, it’s just not something all fans want.

;