Tyrone Mings

Wilson by himself had all 3 Villa defenders on strings for an hour. To my eye, Mings initially lined up on the left of their 3, but was moved into the central slot after 20 or so mins, purely because they couldn't get a grip on Callum.

Where on the ball he looked absolutely terrible. He was close to tripping over his own feet on numerous occasions.

Left side of a back three or left side of a centre back pairing is the only role he can play. Anything else makes him look cumbersome.

In Mings' defence, he may well have been pisspoor yesterday, but he looks to have filled out a bit in his legs and seems a bit less like Bambi on ice than when he was here.

Still got found out though.

the epitome of style over substance
looks good, points a lot and seems to communicate with other players but simply not up to it at premier league level
we must have some pretty shite centre backs for him to be anywhere near the england squad

the epitome of style over substance
looks good, points a lot and seems to communicate with other players but simply not up to it at premier league level
we must have some pretty shite centre backs for him to be anywhere near the england squad

Quite a lot of comments about him on the Villa Forum. Plenty of their fans see him as the fault for a lot of goals conceded this season.

"The only time he cleared the ball instead of doin his pretty little Cruyff turn... The rest is history!
I like the bloke but he really thinks he's actually better than he really is.
Reminds me of me in the kitchen, just shouts and points a lot! "

Could be just my misinterpretation of things, but from the "behind the scenes" vid on COWS the pre-match handshake between Mings and JT looked a tad frosty?

I think this is quite sad. Here’s a lad who, through no fault of his own as far as I know, had a bad time here. With injuries he never really got the chance to compete for a place. Got a rough deal from the elbow of Ibrahimovich when he looked like he might have got a run of games and now all some can do is slag him off and claim they knew he was a bad’un from the start. I liked him, was pleased to see him make the difference to a not very good Villa side and drag them up and get no pleasure from his struggling at this level at the moment.

I think this is quite sad. Here’s a lad who, through no fault of his own as far as I know, had a bad time here. With injuries he never really got the chance to compete for a place. Got a rough deal from the elbow of Ibrahimovich when he looked like he might have got a run of games and now all some can do is slag him off and claim they knew he was a bad’un from the start. I liked him, was pleased to see him make the difference to a not very good Villa side and drag them up and get no pleasure from his struggling at this level at the moment.
Don't think anyone has commented on his character tbf.....just passing opinion on his ability the same way we would do if he played well..... nothing sad about it....just a point of discussion .

:agree:

with Ivyhouse.

I saw Mings’s catastrophic injury against Leicester and I was at the battle of Old Trafford when I thought Tyrone was immense against Ibrahimovich.

When we won 3-0 at Stamford Bridge Tyrone, who was again injured at the time, was sat in the away end. It was unclear at the time if he would ever come back from his awful injuries, and it was a little poignant to see him turn out to watch us and mingle with fans.

A couple of months later I went to see the under 21s play Wimbledon at Merstham in Surrey, not far from where I live. Tyrone played for about an hour as one of his first games back. I chatted to him as he walked off and he made a fuss of my dog. If not quite literally, it was the kind of game played in front of one man and his dog.

He had a hard road back, and then hit the brick wall of being behind Nathan Ake in the pecking order. He then goes to Villa where he is acclaimed as a hero and plays a huge role in getting them promoted from the Championship. Not really surprising that he wanted to sign for them. OK he was a bit of a pratt with all the Villa shirt at Bournemouth station nonsense, but fundamentally I think he is a good bloke still.

Last edited:
Mings has been used as a stick to beat Howe with. The implication being that we let someone go who is better than what we've got. Well, he's clearly not better than Ake and we got loads more money for him than we paid for Mepham and Kelly. Meps has looked no worse than Mings did Saturday and we're yet to see about Kelly but fingers crossed.

:agree:

with Ivyhouse.

I saw Mings’s catastrophic injury against Leicester and I was at the battle of Old Trafford when I thought Tyrone was immense against Ibrahimovich.

When we won 3-0 at Stamford Bridge Tyrone, who was again injured at the time, was sat in the away end. It was unclear at the time if he would ever come back from his awful injuries, and it was a little poignant to see him turn out to watch us and mingle with fans.

A couple of months later I went to see the under 21s play Wimbledon at Merstham in Surrey, not far from where I live. Tyrone played for about an hour as one of his first games back. I chatted to him as he walked off and he made a fuss of my dog. If not quite literally, it was the kind of game played in front of one man and his dog.

He had a hard road back, and then hit the brick wall of being behind Nathan Ake in the pecking order. He then goes to Villa where he is acclaimed as a hero and plays a huge role in getting them promoted from the Championship. Not really surprising that he wanted to sign for them. OK he was a bit of a pratt with all the Villa shirt at Bournemouth station nonsense, but fundamentally I think he is a good bloke still.

Had a tough time but wish him well. Shame he couldnt build a career here. Thought that villa shirt stunt was really poor but don’t think he deserved to be booed. Ake is definitely better than him....despite best efforts of media to build him up as some English van dijk.

;