Tyrone Mings

Mings looked pretty assured yesterday and capable of playing in the Premier League. Ake has scored some goals. Hope Chelsea fail - not a nice club.

Oakdale - 8/1/2017 12:20

Do we have the option to bring Cargill back from Gillyhoofball?

I think he may be back already, his loan ended on 3rd Jan (ish) and hasn't yet been extended. Since they've since changed their manager they may not even want to extend it.

By accounts from their fans, he's done reasonably well there in a struggling team.

Cargill was having a stroll on the beachfront with the rest of the squad the other day

??

Lovely day for the players' morning walk on the beach earlier...

#afcb ?? https://t.co/CVPmRHL5Fs

Think time to give mings a few games. Wonder if Eddie will go for a fluid formation similar to Chelsea rather than standard back four.

pedro3187 - 8/1/2017 13:37

Eddie will probably do something crazy like stick Surman at CB and Mings not even on the bench :hihi:

When does Eddie ever do anything that can be described as 'crazy'?

Chris2001 - 8/1/2017 13:55

Eddie will probably do something crazy like stick Surman at CB and Mings not even on the bench :hihi:

I think you could describe some of his recent team selections and in-game decisions as slightly crazy

I was impressed with Mings yesterday, the only performance that really stood out, and could see him taking Ake's place. I do hope Eddie gives him a chance as the sooner he's back the better I would of thought.

Mings has to start in the centre with Cook next week. Only player to come out of yesterday's mess with any credit.

pedro3187 - 8/1/2017 14:00

Chris2001 - 8/1/2017 13:55

I think you could describe some of his recent team selections and in-game decisions as slightly crazy

Really? Pls list them...the only one that really doesn't seem to work is smith in midfield but not crazy. Matching Chelsea's formation was a thoughtful approach. Subs vs Arsenal had some merit as did other options.

What is this anti Howe agenda?

Was impressed with Mings yesterday. Thought he looked really comfortable in defensive situations...kind of like Ian Cox for those who remember.

Now he did make a slip in the first half giving away a chance for Gregory and also caught in possession in build up to the 2nd goal. Probably just a bit of rustiness but if we are slating other players, its only fair to acknowledge Mings wasn't perfect too.

The biggest plus point was that he looked our fittest and most athletic player which is very encouraging given his injury.

Mings looked handy and comfortable on the ball, he will need to polish up his reading of set pieces and opposition runs though.

Might be the only person watching the game who wasn't impressed by Mings, defensively at least, looks fine with ball at his feet but for a big lad he was out muscled I thought twice in first half. could just be rusty of course but when we lose 3-0 to a league 1 side a defender needs to do a lot better than that to escape blame.

Mings was beaten at the near post for the first goal, in fact we had 2 or 3 defenders on or near that near post plus Federici vaguely covering that area, and none of them got close to it. Perhaps they got in each other's way, it certainly wasn't clear who was responsible for marking that header. It might well have been Mings, or another. Like the rest of the showing, it was a disorganised mess.

At least Mings wanted the ball, demanded he got it and when on it got his head up and looked to start something. He even got forward and took one of our only pot shots at goal (even if it did end up in row z). He didn't hide away playing safe sideways 5 yard passes and looking to offload the ball like it was a hot potato as everyone else did. His attitude set him apart if not his actual defensive performance.

But sharing a back four with the laughable Brad Smith, shaky Marc Wilson, the young Jordan Lee (who didn't actually do a huge amount wrong but not much positive either) and then weirdly Pugh playing some kind of a quarter back position - can't have helped. Mings put within our more regular back 4 will be a far better test.

If it was a choice betwen Mings or M.Wilson for Saturday, Mings is the favourite. There;s little sign of the Marc Wilson who's spent most of his career at Premier League level.

;