VAR

I thought that in the immediate aftermath, but the replay didn't show it too well, so assumed it was wishful thinking on my part. When I've got my cherry-specs on I can be the most one eyed man on the planet

Just seen the goal again on AFCBTV, looked like a chest to me.

agree, but not sure I'd blame tv. I'd blame modern day whingy "footy" supporters. this has come from people not respecting & understanding refereeing.
Maybe not TV, but certainly technology, and the use of it. Which is everywhere, and the "newer breed" are addicted to it. I have said it before ..... the compulsiveness to "get it right" is bull, because so many things that may have an even greater impact on a match are not reviewable. "Replay" has been insidious in NA sports, with new rules designed to accommodate the technology.

All that said, I watched our game on TV and VAR was looked at a couple of times, and the on-screen coverage/explanation was effective.

But as CB says, each big event is now watched with an element of uncertainty, in a cherry-specs manner. On our goal, announcers first thought that Callum might have been offside (shown that he wasn't), on their goal there was definitely a hint on arm touching ball (not called .... dammit) and then on the non-foul on Josh in injury time, you sit there praying for a call that doesn't come.

agree, but not sure I'd blame tv. I'd blame modern day whingy "footy" supporters. this has come from people not respecting & understanding refereeing.
tv and radio are to blame for creating this culture. 606 under Danny Baker may not have been everyones cup of tea, but it wasn't the 90 minute whinge-fest it became soon after he left.

tv and radio are to blame for creating this culture. 606 under Danny Baker may not have been everyones cup of tea, but it wasn't the 90 minute whinge-fest it became soon after he left.

never listened to it, am allergic to the bbc!

Yeah looking back at the replay there was definitely a handball in the buildup to Sharps goal.

So that begs the question: why did ours go to VAR for no reason at all, and yet the similarly scrappy Sheffield United goal, which as it turns did ACTUALLY have an offence in the buildup, didn’t?

This is what I was worried about. The fact that when and when they don’t decide to go to VAR is seemingly based on nothing at all. I was originally worried that they just wouldn’t use it when it would benefit the top teams, but nope, it’s just going to be arbitrarily s*** rather than s*** in a calculated way. Just look at the Watford one; why didn’t that go to VAR? Clear as day handball!

It’s never been about the technology for me, it’s the same old incompetent officiating baring it’s teeth. Giving an idiot an instant replay isn’t going to help when the same idiot doesn’t even know when he should be using said instant replay.

Yeah looking back at the replay there was definitely a handball in the buildup to Sharps goal.

So that begs the question: why did ours go to VAR for no reason at all, and yet the similarly scrappy Sheffield United goal, which as it turns did ACTUALLY have an offence in the buildup, didn’t?

This is what I was worried about. The fact that when and when they don’t decide to go to VAR is seemingly based on nothing at all. I was originally worried that they just wouldn’t use it when it would benefit the top teams, but nope, it’s just going to be arbitrarily s*** rather than s*** in a calculated way. Just look at the Watford one; why didn’t that go to VAR? Clear as day handball!

It’s never been about the technology for me, it’s the same old incompetent officiating baring it’s teeth. Giving an idiot an instant replay isn’t going to help when the same idiot doesn’t even know when he should be using said instant replay.
They automatically do VAR for every goal.

I've still not watched it again, but the immediate replay on the stream was inconclusive. You see a hand move towards the ball, then someone moved in front of the camera and you see it come off the blokes chest. If that's what the VAR desk saw I can see why they didn't give it

I’m 99% sure they didn’t for their goal. But if they did, then VAR failed, as it missed a handball. And if they didn’t, why?
I understand it's used on all goals but you only get told about it if the goal is disallowed, same if a penalty is given and' not overturned.

;