VAR

seems to me he did tread on his foot, as shown by var. but then he made a meal of it. so technically a pen I guess, but morally.... fook him

and their manager - pretentiousness personified.

Seeing as VAR doesn’t want to overrule the match day ref, why not do away with VAR and let the ref on the pitch be in sole control of his own decisions.
Simple. Why complicate matters?

cos all the whingers whinging about var, will go back to just whinging solely bout refs!

seems to me he did tread on his foot, as shown by var. but then he made a meal of it. so technically a pen I guess, but morally.... fook him

and their manager - pretentiousness personified.

Probably did, but can you imagine the theatrics if that was the other way around and it was Lerma bring trod on? Or the majority of our squad.

I seem to be in a minority of one on this but to me it is inconclusive from the side on tv pictures (which I presume was used for the purposes of VAR) as to whether Lerma actually stepped on Silva's boot or whether the boot landed side by side!

I seem to be in a minority of one on this but to me it is inconclusive from the side on tv pictures (which I presume was used for the purposes of VAR) as to whether Lerma actually stepped on Silva's boot or whether the boot landed side by side!
They did show the 'VAR replays' of what, I presume, they saw and it had many different angles.

Another pointless waste of our time. Why waste our time with it if they’re not even going to make decisions? Should have been red for Tielemans, simple as.

"Villa are raging" was the 5live headline after they had a goal ruled out in injury time due a Jack Grelish alleged dive.

Again VAR didn't think it was a clear and obvious error - seems to be very keen to not overule the officials on the pitch.

"Villa are raging" was the 5live headline after they had a goal ruled out in injury time due a Jack Grelish alleged dive.

Again VAR didn't think it was a clear and obvious error - seems to be very keen to not overule the officials on the pitch.

I've seen the clip from this, no way did Grealish dive, you can see Cahill wincing as his thigh hits into Grealish. I haven't seen where the ref blows his whistle, if it was before the ball hit the net or not, that's the only thing.

Apparently Friend had blown the whistle for a 'blatant' dive by Grealish a split second before Villa 'scored.'

Friend is a joke and should be pensioned off. Grealish actually passed the ball as he was falling. Friend was way behind the incident.

Last edited:

Begs the question why have it. These incidents show the rules are subjective so VAR can only be subjective too.

How many times did VAR get involved today? I was at the stadium and only saw the message on the screen once, for the red card tackle on Callum.
The Motd commentator said VAR was looking into the penalty/dive incident too but i didn't see it come up on the screen.
To my mind the referee could and possibly did ensure they wouldn't look at it by immediately booking Wilson for diving.... If VAR had reviewed the incident and decided that it was a penalty or simply not a deliberate dive to deceive, the yellow cannot be rescinded anyway, unless for mistaken identity.... or am I mistaken on that point?
Therefore, assuming I am correct, the application of the use of VAR is flawed because the ref can ensure a contentious decision such as this is not reviewed and overturned simply by showing a yellow card to the attacking player.
Surely any decision on simulation should come from VAR as they have the technology to review it properly and situations such as in the Villa game would not occur.

(BTW, I am not suggesting we should have had a penalty today nor that Wilson did or did not dive as I have not seen it back enough)

;