VAR

The Haarland / Pickford non penalty, if that had happen on the halfway line with two outfield players, is there a ref in country who would have not given a free kick. Not fit for purpose NFFP not PGMOL

Just watched the interview and after being asked about the Lerma punch, Webb , I thought said towards the end of that segment that we got the Bournemouth one wrong.

Listen and decide for yourself. about 6 mins or so in.

He was talking about the Brentford pen, he failed to address the punch issue despite being specifically asked about it

He was talking about the Brentford pen, he failed to address the punch issue despite being specifically asked about it

Well if that was the case he didn’t do himself or VAR any favours.

Surprised he was allowed to get away with that and wasn’t pressed on the matter.

Some politicians we know are good at avoiding giving a straight answer to a straight question and give the answer they want you to hear, even if it has no reference to the question asked.

Last edited:
I'm struggling with that explanation. It wasn't even remotely debatable and, with the replays, was as clear as you could possibly hope for.

It's either corruption or utter incompetence. Naturally, the latter seems a far more likely situation. I wonder if the VAR ref will be removed from VAR duties like the one earlier in the season was for incompetence? That time Lee Mason didn't give a decision for Arsenal and had to retire as a result. This time the decision was against AFCB so... nah, nothing.

I'm struggling with that explanation. It wasn't even remotely debatable and, with the replays, was as clear as you could possibly hope for.

It's either corruption or utter incompetence. Naturally, the latter seems a far more likely situation. I wonder if the VAR ref will be removed from VAR duties like the one earlier in the season was for incompetence? That time Lee Mason didn't give a decision for Arsenal and had to retire as a result. This time the decision was against AFCB so... nah, nothing.
This 100%

Human error? Bullshit

If there is still a chance for human error then VAR is not doing what it is supposed to do
The final decison is the on field officials, var is there to assist in providing information. A poor workman blames his tools, using var has not helped the pgmol officials deliver consistent decisions.

If there is still a chance for human error then VAR is not doing what it is supposed to do
I thought VAR would really help to get the majority of decisions right.
I figured, the only instance where it would be down to the referee's interpretation would be when the available video images and angles were insufficient to deliver a definitive answer.

If you think about the video coverage and angles they have at matches these days, you should be left with very few instances where VAR does not answer the question.

What is absolutely mind-blowing to me is that we can all see the images, we can all see the correct decision but many times ( not always, admittedly ) the VAR referee STILL makes the wrong call. That for me is inexcusable. If clear video proof is available and still being ignored, we may as well give up on the whole idea !

Add to that the differing interpretations of the rules from one VAR referee to the next and you end up with VAR helping to about 30% ( I'm probably being generous there ) of its intended level.
The technology is fine but the inconsistency and lack of accountability for those reviewing it is a total disgrace. They really might as well not bother, if they can't get their house in order.

Yes it’s definitely still inconsistently used and certain not really stopped the debate around the calls made and subjectivity of decisions making.

Most fouls and handballs seem to be a lottery as much as they were before .

Yes it’s definitely still inconsistently used and certain not really stopped the debate around the calls made and subjectivity of decisions making.

Most fouls and handballs seem to be a lottery as much as they were before .
I think that if they are too stupid to be able to correctly evaluate what they are seeing on a TV screen, right in front of their very nose, then there really is no hope, they might as well just leave it all to the referee on the pitch.

It would appear that watching telly correctly is simply beyond the capabilities of a fair few football referees in this country !

It seems like you could just flip a coin on hand ball decisions from VAR (weighted for how it affects a "big" club.) I suspect the problem may have to do with the rule on hand ball itself. Without knowing exactly how it reads, I conclude that it does not provide for consistent interpretation. That should probably be addressed if VAR is to be useful at all. I, for one, hate to see handball given when the ball is smashed from a yard away into an arm that is in a completely normal position for running or jumping. I might make an exception for cases when the ball bounces then directly in for a goal.

It seems like you could just flip a coin on hand ball decisions from VAR (weighted for how it affects a "big" club.) I suspect the problem may have to do with the rule on hand ball itself. Without knowing exactly how it reads, I conclude that it does not provide for consistent interpretation. That should probably be addressed if VAR is to be useful at all. I, for one, hate to see handball given when the ball is smashed from a yard away into an arm that is in a completely normal position for running or jumping. I might make an exception for cases when the ball bounces then directly in for a goal.

The latest version of handball is somewhat of a Frankenstein version. It’s been altered and changed due to the introduction of VAR.

But what they’ve done is they’ve overcomplicated it.

It used to be “deliberate”, now we have “natural positions” and t-shirt lines.

Scrap VAR and change handball back to how it was.

I think that if they are too stupid to be able to correctly evaluate what they are seeing on a TV screen, right in front of their very nose, then there really is no hope, they might as well just leave it all to the referee on the pitch.

It would appear that watching telly correctly is simply beyond the capabilities of a fair few football referees in this country !
This.

They chose to use the Brentford penalty so Webb could make some spurious claim that they didn't go back far enough - as if that were acceptable.

As soon as I had seen it - once, in real time - I was certain it would be overturned. Toney's role was obvious to anyone who has ever watched or played a bit of football at any level and yet it escaped and never even occured to FOUR fully qualified professional officials, two with direct access to replays.

Thanks for nothing Howard Webb, your smooth PR smokescreen doesn't cut it. Your officials haven't got a clue what they're looking at or looking for. They know the rules but haven't got an ounce of footballing nous.

Callum Wilson took a clear dive in the penalty area. Why did var not tell the referee to show him yellow?
I haven't seen this incident, so don't know if game was stopped anyway, this is something that I think VAR should be able to do without slowing the game down at all. Just at some point in the next 5minutes or so, when there's a break in play, the ref trots over and books a player.

Could even do it to rescind cards as well, like Christie's the other game. Yep, maybe not enough to be a pen, but certainly wasn't a yellow.

I thought VAR would really help to get the majority of decisions right.
I figured, the only instance where it would be down to the referee's interpretation would be when the available video images and angles were insufficient to deliver a definitive answer.

If you think about the video coverage and angles they have at matches these days, you should be left with very few instances where VAR does not answer the question.

What is absolutely mind-blowing to me is that we can all see the images, we can all see the correct decision but many times ( not always, admittedly ) the VAR referee STILL makes the wrong call. That for me is inexcusable. If clear video proof is available and still being ignored, we may as well give up on the whole idea !

Add to that the differing interpretations of the rules from one VAR referee to the next and you end up with VAR helping to about 30% ( I'm probably being generous there ) of its intended level.
The technology is fine but the inconsistency and lack of accountability for those reviewing it is a total disgrace. They really might as well not bother, if they can't get their house in order.

It's still led by the on-field referee and in the Toney incident, the referee was set on giving a penalty, with the VAR officials being complicit in supporting that. There was no interest in the obvious foul that led to Senesi being catapulted forward. It wasn't a different incident. It was the same one. From the stands it was bleedin obvious, let alone for someone paid to follow the ball. With multiple video angles it was wilful to ignore it and whilst some of our earlier season decisions might have been contentious, this one should form training for referees in (unconscious) bias. How not to referee. It was almost as sickening as the injustice at Burnley in 2019-20 and whilst I had attempted VAR neutrality, Toney getting away with this was truly shocking. Not sure his ban is karma as such, but I would have preferred to have held the 0-0 as the match seemed destined to be.

I have seen no evidence of VAR improvement this season over three seasons ago, which you would reasonably expect. It's still the case that possibly for the majority of incidents, the poor paying punter in the ground has no idea whether something has been looked at, or not, or exactly what was looked at when a decsion has been made. It does not seem right that amchair viewers know and see more.

I await some neutral research being carried out leading to the scrapping of VAR as it is not doing what it was introduced for and any club you care to name will have VAR grievances - even West Ham!

;