Wee Man

More talk from Fraser in The Athletic, basically the guy seems lonely although he denies it.

If he doesn't like new faces I'm not sure he'll like a different club much.

Good point. If he turns up at, say, Arsenal and puts in a couple of sub-par performances, would he be able to deal with the toxic abuse that would surely come his way ? Is he resilient enough to compete at elite level?

Doesn’t everyone have friends who move away?
I appreciate coming down here from Scotland at a young age must have been hard, I expect he was on five grand a week back then so that would have helped.
He staring to sound like a right miserable git.

From the piece in the Echo he sounds lonely. We hear about loneliness especially around Christmas time, especially with the old.

I remember he got himself a dog and with a number of the other players they went out together with their dogs, a dog club within the team.

Has that gone as well?

He mentions Marc Pugh invited him round for Christmas last year, otherwise he would have been on his own, his family were not coming down and he hadn’t seen them for about a year.

So before we judge him maybe we should think how we would feel ourselves.

Money is one thing, happiness and peace of mind are another.

Here is the story in the Echo if you have not seen it.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/s...afc-bournemouth-hard-take-admits-ryan-fraser/

Does this guy have any idea how good he’s got it? How many other pro footballers would kill to be in his position? A guaranteed starter at a Prem club with a manager who (rightly or wrongly) clearly thinks the world of him. What’s the fragile little buttercup going to do when he turns in a few below par performances at a new club and gets consigned to watching his teammates from the stands, does he think his new manager will look out for him like EH does? Nope he’ll be forgotten about and something tells me that young Ryan doesn’t have the strength of mentality to deal with this. I fear that he is in danger of wrecking his career and becoming a journey man if he doesn’t plan his next move wisely.

From the piece in the Echo he sounds lonely. We hear about loneliness especially around Christmas time, especially with the old.

I remember he got himself a dog and with a number of the other players they went out together with their dogs, a dog club within the team.

Has that gone as well?

He mentions Marc Pugh invited him round for Christmas last year, otherwise he would have been on his own, his family were not coming down and he hadn’t seen them for about a year.

So before we judge him maybe we should think how we would feel ourselves.

Money is one thing, happiness and peace of mind are another.

Here is the story in the Echo if you have not seen it.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/s...afc-bournemouth-hard-take-admits-ryan-fraser/
Maybe his teammates don’t want to spend time with him because he struts around thinking he is better than them?

Does this guy have any idea how good he’s got it? How many other pro footballers would kill to be in his position? A guaranteed starter at a Prem club with a manager who (rightly or wrongly) clearly thinks the world of him. What’s the fragile little buttercup going to do when he turns in a few below par performances at a new club and gets consigned to watching his teammates from the stands, does he think his new manager will look out for him like EH does? Nope he’ll be forgotten about and something tells me that young Ryan doesn’t have the strength of mentality to deal with this. I fear that he is in danger of wrecking his career and becoming a journey man if he doesn’t plan his next move wisely.

Which makes you wonder if he would be happier back home in Scotland where his family is.

I'm not going to hate on the guy for being lonely if that's what it is; that's the same feeling for everyone no matter what you do and how much money you get for doing it.

Having said that, he seemed quite good friends with Wilson, aren't they neighbours or something?

Reactions: drd
Of course there's this contract situation undercurrent, which must be ticking away in the back of everyone's mind. If you've got a team mate in your workplace who has made no secret of the fact that they're looking for a move away to a bigger and better paying organisation, yes it can isolate them and make the rest of the team detached.

Perhaps someone senior and longer standing on the playing side like a Francis, Smith, Gosling, Callum could park that to one side for a few months, and put their arm round Ryan and cajole him a bit. It's in all our interests to get the most out of him for however long he's here. I get the impression Eddie and Jason are quite stern and task-master in style?

As Billy says there may well be loneliness, depression or some other mental health issue in play here.

You appear to not have any understanding of these things whatsoever.

As Billy says there may well be loneliness, depression or some other mental health issue in play here.

You appear to not have any understanding of these things whatsoever.
What I was trying to get at was that if he thinks it is lonely here how will he feel sat in the stands at a bigger club. One interview saying that he misses his best friends, two of which actually left years ago, and you are diagnosing him with depression? This on going soap opera is just very bizarre and tedious. Do you really think that if he had told EH about how miserable and unhappy he was here then he would have been forced to stay against his wishes? If he was so unhappy he should have made it clear that he wanted out in the summer.

What I was trying to get at was that if he thinks it is lonely here how will he feel sat in the stands at a bigger club. One interview saying that he misses his best friends, two of which actually left years ago, and you are diagnosing him with depression? This on going soap opera is just very bizarre and tedious. Do you really think that if he had told EH about how miserable and unhappy he was here then he would have been forced to stay against his wishes? If he was so unhappy he should have made it clear that he wanted out in the summer.

I've got no idea if he's depressed or not and neither do you.

Then again I'm not calling him a fragile little buttercup am I?

Your post was quite cringeworthy to be honest.

I don’t buy the line that staying in the Premier League means that there is no urgency. The club know what mediocrity over decades is like, and finishing mid-table in the top flight is an achievement not a failure.

My view is that the urgency diminishes once enough points (or being well in the way to that) for survival has been achieved.

Mid table is a huge achievement but achieving that for a long time is nigh on impossible for most clubs.

There is a rapid turnover outside the most established 7. City are the only promoted team in recent times to stay beyond 10 seasons.

Outside that the longest time is West Ham and Southampton with 8, Palace7, Leicester 6 and the remaining 10 teams for 5 seasons or fewer (less?).

Achieving 10 years would be a remarkable achievement for us.

Lots of people seem to be overreacting to quotes by a footballer once again. I really don’t think Wee Man has the intelligence or cunning to do an interview like this to push for a move. It just sounds like a player opening up about living a long way from home and missing his friends.

I’m sure plenty of footballers (or young men in general) have similar feelings it’s just rare to hear a footballer speak so honestly about a topic like this. If I were a journalist, I’d want to do an interview with Fraser as you know you are going to get honest answers rather than the same old cliches other players come up with.

;