What a window!

Yes, I realise that. It's just not a word that we use for reasons that are obvious. No apologies necessary as you weren't to know. As I said above, just giving a steer as otherwise posts on here can get deleted which is a shame because then the underpinning point that's made gets lost.
And a word to the wise for the NA-bound travelers ....... probably a good idea to consider carefully before inviting someone outside for a fag, or knocking-up the neighbour's wife.

"Fag" ............ Fag is mainly used as an offensive term for homosexuals. Although it has other meanings, you should probably avoid it at all costs. Source: Vocabulary.com.

"Knock up" ................ verb: make pregnant. Source: Vocabulary.com.
I understand the meanings TJ and appreciate you’re attempting to be clever (whereas I was merely giving a steer to American Cherry) but fact is neither are offensive in the same way.

I understand the meanings TJ and appreciate you’re attempting to be clever (whereas I was merely giving a steer to American Cherry) but fact is neither are offensive in the same way.
Maybe trying to be a bit clever, but also pointing out that "our language" has lots of variations from here to there.

You think "fag" is no more offensive than "coon", when used with its darkest intent? I beg to differ, strongly. Try using either on the playing field, and a ban will soon follow.

Last edited:
You think "fag" is no more offensive than "coon". I beg to differ, strongly.
I couldn’t care less what you think TJ. Fact is this is a forum moderated in the UK where acceptance of words/expressions can differ to other territories.

I gave a steer in good faith to American Cherry in order to be helpful so as to avoid posts being deleted.

I couldn’t care less what you think TJ. Fact is this is a forum moderated in the UK where acceptance of words/expressions can differ to other territories.

I gave a steer in good faith to American Cherry in order to be helpful so as to avoid posts being deleted.
Not questioning your intentions R&B. Yes, it's moderated in the UK, but it has become an international fan base and will become even more so if the signings this month have any traction. So "our language" as you put it should be broadened to include other countries. Just raises the "awareness bar" to new heights.

Maybe trying to be a bit clever, but also pointing out that "our language" has lots of variations from here to there.

You think "fag" is no more offensive than "coon", when used with its darkest intent? I beg to differ, strongly. Try using either on the playing field, and a ban will soon follow.

The moment I realised we had different meaning to word was in 1990 when reading Good Omens:

--------
Newt showing his Witchfinder ID to the American soldier.
"What's this here", he said suspiciously, "about us got to give you faggots?"
"Oh, we have to have them," said Newt. "We burn them."
The guard's face broadened into a grin. And they'd told him England was soft. "Right on!" he said.
--------

They took it out of the recent TV adaption as it's now seen as too much of a slur.

Not questioning your intentions R&B. Yes, it's moderated in the UK, but it has become an international fan base and will become even more so if the signings this month have any traction. So "our language" as you put it should be broadened to include other countries. Just raises the "awareness bar" to new heights.
It’s down to forum moderators to determine what is acceptable taking into account, in this instance, UK Law.

And a word to the wise for the NA-bound travelers ....... probably a good idea to consider carefully before inviting someone outside for a fag, or knocking-up the neighbour's wife.

Perhaps I'm overlooking something here, but us 'Brits' wouldn;t use the term knock up for anything other than getting someone pregnant (vast majority of the time), so doubt there's any risk of us causing offense using it for other things...

I'd also imagine context would give it away, so doubt 'fag' would be misconstrued by most in social settings... not that many 'Brits' would say fag I expect now, perhaps more chavvy people, who are less likely to be in the US anyway.

;