AFC Bournemouth v Manchester United

United's 18-man travelling squad vs Chelsea

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero, Lee Grant

Defenders: Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo, Ashley Young, Brandon Williams

Midfielders: Fred, James Garner, Scott McTominay, Andreas Pereira, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard

Forwards: Daniel James, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...tball-news/man-utd-team-news-chelsea-17166440
That is a strong squad, more or less what we'll face on Saturday you'd think.
Here's hoping for a few minor knocks, cards etc!

We Need To Start Scoring Again

After two 0-0 results running, at home against Norwich and most recently away at Watford, our next game is at home against an improving Manchester United side. One of the most famous clubs in the World, United at one time when the Cherries were in the lower leagues was the team the Cherries fans wanted to draw in the FA Cup with the chance of a giant killing act (it happened) but also put much needed money back then in the clubs coffers. We met them six times in the FA Cup, one was a replay after a 1-1 draw at Dean Court in February of the 1988-89 season, United won the replay at Old Trafford by the only goal of the game. We had that famous FA Cup win over them at Dean Court in the January of the 1983-84 season. Since then it has been 27 seasons before we met again in a competitive game.

Their manager is a former long time player for their club the Norwegian Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who took the job of manager in December 2018. He takes on a job where managers before him have failed to follow in the footsteps of one of if not the greatest manager they have ever had in Alex Ferguson. Solskjær in his first season in charge his side won their first six PL games, including his first game which was away to his first managers job at Cardiff City, United won 1-5. The United team finished in 6th position last season. In the Summer Manchester United broke the World Record for the signing of a defender when they signed centre back Harry Maguire from Leicester City for £80 million. They signed two other players, right back Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace for £45 million and midfielder Daniel James from Swansea for £15 million. Striker Romelu Lukaku has left Manchester United and joined Inter Milan for £73 million.

This season Manchester United have had a mixed start to the season, in their first home game they beat Chelsea 4-0, this was followed by a 1-1 draw away at Wolverhampton. The first defeat of the season came in their home game against Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace 1-2. This was followed by a visit to Southampton which finished 1-1. United returned to winning ways with a 1-0 home win against Leicester City. In their next game they lost again at the London Stadium to West Ham 2-0, Manchester United looked a poor team. This was followed with a 1-1 draw at home to Arsenal and a 1-0 defeat away against Newcastle United. The next two games saw their side gradually improving, with a 1-1 draw at home against leaders Liverpool and a 1-3 win against a struggling Norwich City side at Carrow Road in their last league game.

This Saturday our side will need to lift their game against an improving Manchester United team If we are to get anything out of it. Our forwards need to start finding the net as our goalkeeper and defenders have been doing their job at the back. In our league games against Manchester United at Dean Court we have W 1, D 0, L 3. In all competitions AFCB have W 2, D 3, L 11.

AFCB Team News
Andrew Surman was unavailable for the Watford game due to a knee problem. Otherwise we are down to the long term absentees, Dan Gosling, David Brooks, Junior Stanislas and Charlie Daniels.

AFCB Player To Watch
It is difficult to pick any one player at the moment. We have two of our important players going into this game on 4 yellow cards, both midfielders, Philip Billing and Jefferson Lerma, we don’t want them both getting yellow carded in the same game, if at all. Our defence will need to keep an eye on an improved Rashford and Martial who has returned to the United team after injury. Callum Wilson hasn’t been at his best in our last two games and was substituted at Watford. Josh King hopefully can get back on the score sheet and break the run that has seen our side without a goal in the last three games.

Manchester United Team News
They have seven players out injured. Paul Pogba, ankle. Erik Bailly, knee. Axel Tuanzebe, hip. Timothy Fosu-Mensah, knee. Diogo Dalot, groin. Possibles who may return soon, Luke Shaw, thigh. Nemanja Matic, injury not specified. United have a game tonight in the League Cup away at Chelsea, so there could be addition/s to the list.

Manchester United Player To Watch
Marcus Rashford after being ‘out of sorts’, has started to find his form again with goals in Manchester United’s last two matches. He has scored 5 goals and has 3 assists in the Premier League this season. Another player to watch who has just returned to the United team after being out injured is Anthony Martial who returned with a goal against Norwich City.

Last edited:
I just hope we play well. Surely we can beat them, not the team they were under Fergie.
Maguire has a turning circle of a super tanker, they are due for a thumping.

I see that it's a late kick-off as well - game starts at 20.05. My my, they'll be EXHAUSTED by the time the match is over. And oh dear, it's an early start on Saturday !

We will know the answer on Saturday.

Rashford came off in the 80th minute after having scored his second goal which turned out to be a cracker and the winner.

Martial went on as a sub in the 66th minute.

This is what their manager said.

BBC

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer named a strong side, saying he wanted to "keep the momentum going" - with 19-year-old Brandon Williams the only unfamiliar youngster to start.

And it worked as they won for a third game in a row, all away from home - after a run of six games without a win.

...no I like Billing, but want to see a more attacking CM in Lewis Cook, Lerma and Billing very similar, but I think Billing is close to a suspension with another yellow card?

Sorry I just meant that you've repeated Billing twice on your bench and in your starting lineup.

Typically United are starting to get into form again right before they play us.

What I'd like to see is for us to give this ramshackle, mismanaged, midtable horrorshow of a team what they deserve: no respect. This is a nothing team, and they're playing away from home. I want us to approach the game with the goal of dominating them and their pitiful midfield. McTominay? Ass. Peirera? Ass. Fred? Please. These are Man United players? Billing, Lerma and Cook would absolutely roast them in a three. They suck. They're just not good at football.

They're a worse side than Arsenal, who we completely dominated in the second half. Hopefully EH will use that game as a blueprint on "how to not approach a game", as Arsenal were in shite form before that game and they're in shite form now. Play what's in front of you, not the idea of whats in front of you.

....just gotta hope that our players and manager don't suffer the 'reputation' freeze as we do often when pitching against the top clubs and show them too much respect...we need to get at them like NWC98 says...give them nothing!

We will know the answer on Saturday.

Rashford came off in the 80th minute after having scored his second goal which turned out to be a cracker and the winner.

Martial went on as a sub in the 66th minute.

This is what their manager said.

BBC

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer named a strong side, saying he wanted to "keep the momentum going" - with 19-year-old Brandon Williams the only unfamiliar youngster to start.

And it worked as they won for a third game in a row, all away from home - after a run of six games without a win.

Rashford had an ice pack on his knee when he got up from the bench at the end of the game. Maguire had treatment on the pitch in the second half. We won't have a better opportunity of beating them.

Yeah, let's hope so. It seems like a recurring theme, though, team after team with injuries, absences (e.g. Lacazette) but they still manage to frustrate us. I am in the mood for a thumping, but would take two goals by us and then take my chances that we can prevent them from scoring 3!!

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is hopeful Manchester United’s injured players will recover for the Premier League fixture at Bournemouth on Saturday.

Centre-back Victor Lindelof was replaced by Anthony Martialin the second-half of the League Cup fourth round win over Chelsea and consulted club doctor Steve McNally and physio Richard Merron before he received treatment.

Matchwinner Marcus Rashford was withdrawn late on for Ashley Young and appeared to indicate a problem with his knee but did not require any further assistance and took his place on the bench.

Defender Brandon Williams soon appeared to signal that captain Harry Maguire needed to be replaced but the centre half played on since United had made all three substitutions.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...fer-news/man-utd-news-transfers-live-17173576

....just gotta hope that our players and manager don't suffer the 'reputation' freeze as we do often when pitching against the top clubs and show them too much respect...we need to get at them like NWC98 says...give them nothing!
All the build up from our camp will be how great they are. It always is... we managed to even talk continually about Norwich beating Man C before we played them. We should have politely said that they would be hurting after Villa put five past them.... reverse psychology... but no we reminded them of their greatest recent moment. Tune in tomorrow to hear Eddie and a few on here talking reverentially about what fantastic players they have. It drives me mad as I think it holds us back (but you all know that!!}

;