AFC Bournemouth v Stoke City - League Cup Third Round

I'm surprised about the level of positivity about last night's performance. I don't think either side had an effort on goal in the first 30 minutes. Stoke were poor but looked more likely to score than us before half time. There was improvement in the second half and the two goals of course but I thought it was a laboured, lack lustre display overall. Stoke created some chances towards the end but their finishing was woeful. I don't normally whinge on here but after the great display in the first half at Brighton (apart from the last bit!), and even despite the final result in that game, I was feeling confident we'd started to click into gear. I know we have some injuries, but the side selected last night should have been strong enough to easily wipe the floor with City in their current form. A lot of people seem to think our form is all going to fall into place after the Arsenal game is done and dusted, but I'm starting to doubt that. Hopefully I am wrong in doing so.

I thought we looked like a typical cup side that had made a load of changes. Decent enough individuals but disjointed. We never looked like losing imo, Stoke were crap.

I'm surprised about the level of positivity about last night's performance. I don't think either side had an effort on goal in the first 30 minutes. Stoke were poor but looked more likely to score than us before half time. There was improvement in the second half and the two goals of course but I thought it was a laboured, lack lustre display overall. Stoke created some chances towards the end but their finishing was woeful. I don't normally whinge on here but after the great display in the first half at Brighton (apart from the last bit!), and even despite the final result in that game, I was feeling confident we'd started to click into gear. I know we have some injuries, but the side selected last night should have been strong enough to easily wipe the floor with City in their current form. A lot of people seem to think our form is all going to fall into place after the Arsenal game is done and dusted, but I'm starting to doubt that. Hopefully I am wrong in doing so.

8 changes in the starting 11 from Brighton ? I didn't go so can't comment further on the performance.

West Brom and Liverpool in late 2014 was the league cup and I'm sure both had behind the goal. In fact I think I was in the normal away end for both games.

West Brom and Liverpool in late 2014 was the league cup and I'm sure both had behind the goal. In fact I think I was in the normal away end for both games.

I was in the normal away end for Liverpool in the FA Cup after ITV put a camera on my usual seat.

A lot of changes last night and when your game is largely based on a high press, usually from Billing, Christie and Solanke, you're obviously going to suffer when none of those 3 are playing... It showed as we were slow, flat-footed and lacked any real press... We had some decent build up play at times, but overall, it was laborious...

This all changed from minute 46 and we suddenly looked a lot better on then ball, shifting it quicker and began to click... However, this all changed again when Solanke went off (actually we started to fade before this point).

This might sound a bit harsh, but in the first half, there were two passengers and they were Dango and Traore... Both clearly have some raw talent but I am seriously doubting their ability at this level atm... Dango improved in the second (I was surprised that Iraola took Semenyo off, and left Dango on, as I thought he looked lively...), but at times we might as well have played with 9 for the input these two had... Traore just seems to struggle to make any kind of impact in the games I have seen him in... Like I said... might be me being a bit harsh, but when 2 players up top are that insignificant, it was no wonder we lacked any real threat in the first...

Long and short is we do have depth but not as an almost second XI... Intensity will be different for Arsenal... I just hope we see Solanke's name on the team sheet.

A lot of changes last night and when your game is largely based on a high press, usually from Billing, Christie and Solanke, you're obviously going to suffer when none of those 3 are playing... It showed as we were slow, flat-footed and lacked any real press... We had some decent build up play at times, but overall, it was laborious...

This all changed from minute 46 and we suddenly looked a lot better on then ball, shifting it quicker and began to click... However, this all changed again when Solanke went off (actually we started to fade before this point).

This might sound a bit harsh, but in the first half, there were two passengers and they were Dango and Traore... Both clearly have some raw talent but I am seriously doubting their ability at this level atm... Dango improved in the second (I was surprised that Iraola took Semenyo off, and left Dango on, as I thought he looked lively...), but at times we might as well have played with 9 for the input these two had... Traore just seems to struggle to make any kind of impact in the games I have seen him in... Like I said... might be me being a bit harsh, but when 2 players up top are that insignificant, it was no wonder we lacked any real threat in the first...

Long and short is we do have depth but not as an almost second XI... Intensity will be different for Arsenal... I just hope we see Solanke's name on the team sheet.

I think you're right about Traore but Dango was involved plenty in the first half including having our best chance, that he created himself (off a Traore pass if I remember). Dango is erratic and tries loads of flicks etc. that so far this season haven't really come off. He's in danger of turning into the next Jordon Ibe though if he doesn't start turning his talents into productive chances.

Returning to an old favourite of a topic, searching.
North stand turnstile C. 3 queues staffed by 2 young blokes for the 'male' lines, and 1 lady for the 'female' line. The 2 blokes were just chatting to punters, not bothering to pad down anyone, even a group of young lads who would be most peoples candidates for carrying flares(generalisation I know). On the 3rd line, the female was padding down everyone, in same way we usually see most games

As has been said before, its the inconsistencies that bother people, and last night was at its most extreme Ive seen.
Final point, this also evidences it clearly isnt the security that causes the long queues, its the turnstiles, combination of quantity and people not knowing what to do!

North stand turnstile C. 3 queues staffed by 2 young blokes for the 'male' lines, and 1 lady for the 'female' line. The 2 blokes were just chatting to punters, not bothering to pad down anyone, even a group of young lads who would be most peoples candidates for carrying flares(generalisation I know). On the 3rd line, the female was padding down everyone, in same way we usually see most games

As has been said before, its the inconsistencies that bother people, and last night was at its most extreme Ive seen.
Final point, this also evidences it clearly isnt the security that causes the long queues, its the turnstiles, combination of quantity and people not knowing what to do!
Must confess as a ST it took me a bit longer to scan a paper ticket in the right part of the entry pad. So much easier to have a ticket loaded to ST card….

…also halve the size of the paper ticket for ease of use abd save paper….could also put postal name and address on the ticket so reduce the covering ticket when posted to help the environment….

I think you're right about Traore but Dango was involved plenty in the first half including having our best chance, that he created himself (off a Traore pass if I remember). Dango is erratic and tries loads of flicks etc. that so far this season haven't really come off. He's in danger of turning into the next Jordon Ibe though if he doesn't start turning his talents into productive chances.
I agree that Dango was brighter than Traore and I think my comment was more about him just seemingly not being at the races with his final pass/cross/ability to take someone on... Sometimes you wonder if he tries to do too much instead of just keeping it simple...

As mentioned, he has some raw talent that we've all witnessed (some of his passing and flicks in the 2nd half were very good) but unless he can begin to step it up, for longer spells then your analogy of Mr Ibe could be very accurate.

I just don't know what to think about Traore... Seen him play on 3 occasions now and I honestly can't recall anything that he's actually done... which probably tells me all I need to know...

It's 100% down to the number of turnstiles... 4 entrances in the NS for 2500 people, predominantly turning up within 45 mins of KO.

The ES has just 1 turnstile for home fans (I think)... For me I don't think it is a problem if the club just recognise that if the queues are still large 5/10 mins before KO, then get the mobile scanners out and open the exit doors to allow fans through quicker... Yes this might mean more fans turn up later for knowledge of getting in this way, but at the end of the day, fans get in...

I agree that Dango was brighter than Traore and I think my comment was more about him just seemingly not being at the races with his final pass/cross/ability to take someone on... Sometimes you wonder if he tries to do too much instead of just keeping it simple...

As mentioned, he has some raw talent that we've all witnessed (some of his passing and flicks in the 2nd half were very good) but unless he can begin to step it up, for longer spells then your analogy of Mr Ibe could be very accurate.

I just don't know what to think about Traore... Seen him play on 3 occasions now and I honestly can't recall anything that he's actually done... which probably tells me all I need to know...

I think with Dango he'll always be one of those players that is hit and miss. That's fine if he's regularly contributing like he did at the back end of last season when his contributions helped keep us in the division. I think teams crap themselves with players like that and they are very useful to have in the squad as long as you have other options for when it's not working.

Traore looked great initially in that Brighton game and also played well against Swansea from what I saw. Looks like he is busy on the ball and things go through him in the attacking third. I have serious doubts though as to whether he will fit into the new manager's plans. Can he operate the high press that IR wants? No evidence of it so far and he's going to have to step up of he doesn't want his AFCB career to fail.

;