Arsenal v AFC Bournemouth

Was rather expecting to see both Rico and Solanke acting like 9 year olds on the pitch given the stick they get on this forum. Being lucky enough to see the game on a stream I must say I thought they both put in an acceptable performance today, more so in the second half.

I thought both had good games but it is clear that Solanke has lost confidence in his shooting abilities, which is a shame.

Maybe it’s a bit embarrassing that only just over a thousand can be bothered to go 100 miles up the road to see us play Arsenal in the Premier League.
Fcuk me - we used to take that many to Brentford.
Whinge all you like about work etc - but you know as well as I do that loads of Bournemouth fans find it all a bit too much trouble to support the team away.
Not everyone is retired on a final salary pension...

Am confused. I was in lower tier and there were stacks of football tourists around me. Certainly not AFCB fans. It certainly was not sold out either.

I was in lower, section 20, surrounded by a mixture of neutrals and quiet Arsenal supporters (small claps when Arsenal scored). Obviously so called Bournemouth fans are selling their away tickets to tourists and away supporters. I heard a girl in front of me asked the guy she was with "where is Bournemouth"?

To be fair, in the first half I was asking the same question, but I believe she was referring to geography while I was referring to the team.

People exaggerate how easy it is to score. We were utter shite in the first half. However Arsenal didn’t create enough to be more than 1 goal up.

After the break, obviously we were much better. We had some chances to nick an equaliser. Anyone saying it could have been 1-3 is really clutching at straws. On xG they called it 1.20 to 0.63. Hardly a game of clear chances, but close enough with a bit more efficiency, a draw wouldn’t have been undeserved.

• Arsenal have won all six of their home matches in all competitions against Bournemouth - only against Gainsborough Trinity (eight wins out of eight) do they have a better 100% home win ratio in their entire history.
  • Bournemouth have lost 13 of their last 14 away Premier League games against the 'big six' teams (W1 D0 L13).
Ouch !!! From the BBC website , can’t see how it’s completely crazy to say we might have a problem with playing the big six away based on those stats ....Gainsborough Trinity FFS :rofl:

I thought a good turn out today and not many gaps. Nice to see so many people sitting down. If only all `away games were like that.
If you want to sit down my geriatric friend then stay at home with the Solent commentary and a mug of cocoa for company.

Yep, YankCherry, please let us know what you mean so I can decide whether to just disregard your opinion or not in the future...

Yes you can disregard in the future. I did not see the same match many of you on here saw. Not even close to be fair.

If you want to sit down my geriatric friend then stay at home with the Solent commentary and a mug of cocoa for company.
And how many away games do you go to Republican? Precisely none.

So stop having a pop from the comfort of your armchair at those who actually do get off their backsides and support the team.

Maybe. I interpreted your earlier post as saying that "we" the supporters have the wrong attitude when it comes to the big teams (I have heard of the cloth cap set but now we have the "jack off" crew. As much as I would dearly love to get over there for a game, not sure I want to see that!!).

My point is that "our" attitude as fans has very little to do with how the players/management approach a match. We live and die with every good play and miscue ... most players are far beyond that. We write posts about reaching mathematical goals and analysing obscure stats. I doubt that players view the game that way. And, if fact, I doubt if young internationals like Billing, Danjuma or Lerma could even tell you about buckets of coins or Matty Holland in tears.

However, I think we are all in agreement that this team has plenty of skill, but are missing consistency. Someone else said we are still only playing at about 60%. I get that, and if the answer is a change in attitude among the players/management, sure, why not.

This is spot on. Its very hard for supporters to just change the attitudes of a lifetime, just because we are suddenly a solid PL team, with some expensive players in the team. I go back to around 1981, so pessimism goes WAY back! Even on promotion seasons later on, I still rarely went to games just expecting us to win! That is still the case today.

Neil mentions teams like Newcastle, Brighton and Wolves this weekend, having good wins. I bet most of their fans would have been like us....probably not expecting a win....*hoping* at best...and after beating the teams they did...would now be on a massive high....just as we were on the occasions we beat a big six team. Most sides in the PL know their places, give or take a few positions in the table. Whatever money we invest, they are all doing the same, so it doesn't make us more likely to beat anyone.

On the Echo website where it ask for your MOM

Steve Cook 24%
Diego Rico 22%
Philip Billing 14%
Ryan Fraser 14%

Sheesh I have to watch this a third time I guess as I seem to be such an opposite end of the spectrum compared to so many. (Hey I’m not faultless!)

I thought this was Rico’s worst match of the last three by a distinct margin. He had a lot of time on the ball because of the press but I thought he did little with it and ake was forced to cover him quite a bit. But yeah I’d go with cook or Fraser.

;