Blackburn - The Verdict

I must admit I like travers but today he should have saved both really. The first was a bit unlucky cause of the bounce but I can’t even try to defend the second for him. Yes you could argue the defence should have done better but he still should have saved it. And thank god that 3rd was offside

I must admit I like travers but today he should have saved both really. The first was a bit unlucky cause of the bounce but I can’t even try to defend the second for him. Yes you could argue the defence should have done better but he still should have saved it. And thank god that 3rd was offside

Wait, you can defend the first but not the second? Seriously?

Played poorly overall but got 3 points with 3 great finishes.....that's what title challenges are all about.....not sure the formation is that effective at home in this league but I think we will have learned a log from it......Blackburn will take points off plenty of our rivals....decent team....The chap they brought on looked alright....Dolan I think.
Anyway glad to be back....:utc:

Travers- 4 hate to say it but he looked very shaky. One howler and didn’t look at all comfortable on the ball.
A Smith- 6 defensively all at sea at times, often wildly out of position. Okay going forward
Stacey- 7 solid at the back and a threat going forward.
Mepham- 6 did okay. Nothing more
S Cook- 6 see above
L Kelly- 6 would have been a 7 if it wasn’t for his tendency to overplay at the back. Match winning block. The defence looked a bit of a shambles at times tbh.
Lerma- 6 incredibly poor in the first half but improved in the second. Realised he had to fight for every second ball like his life depended on it. A good finish
L Cook- 5 not sure what he offered really. Lost possession on numerous occasions and didn’t offer much protection.
Stan- 5 he is so much better than what he showed today, lethargic and at times didn’t look bothered.
Danjuma- 8 let’s try not to get too carried away, there were moments of brilliance and equally moments of frustration. He can be the difference maker for us at this level though.
Dom- 7 thought he was very good in the second half. Held the ball up well. A classy assist and unlucky not to register a goal.
Over all- we won and there were positives, but imo we need to be a lot better if we want to be up there come the end of the season.

Travers- 4 hate to say it but he looked very shaky. One howler and didn’t look at all comfortable on the ball.
A Smith- 6 defensively all at sea at times, often wildly out of position. Okay going forward
Stacey- 7 solid at the back and a threat going forward.
Mepham- 6 did okay. Nothing more
S Cook- 6 see above
L Kelly- 6 would have been a 7 if it wasn’t for his tendency to overplay at the back. Match winning block. The defence looked a bit of a shambles at times tbh.
Lerma- 6 incredibly poor in the first half but improved in the second. Realised he had to fight for every second ball like his life depended on it. A good finish
L Cook- 5 not sure what he offered really. Lost possession on numerous occasions and didn’t offer much protection.
Stan- 5 he is so much better than what he showed today, lethargic and at times didn’t look bothered.
Danjuma- 8 let’s try not to get too carried away, there were moments of brilliance and equally moments of frustration. He can be the difference maker for us at this level though.
Dom- 7 thought he was very good in the second half. Held the ball up well. A classy assist and unlucky not to register a goal.
Over all- we won and there were positives, but imo we need to be a lot better if we want to be up there come the end of the season.

Obviously watched it Waz, what are your thoughts on how Tindall set us up and managed the game?

Never really had any control of the game, the shape looked all over the place. But there is raw talent at this level as we thought.

Lots for JT to work on. Decision making of the players needs work. Almost every side at this level will do to us what Blackburn did today, high press with good organisation. We'll certainly get plenty of practice playing against it. Sooner we figure it out the better. A slightly better side catches us out several times today with some of those loose touches and poor passes back or out from the back.

Defending for the 2nd was so sloppy. Multiple players switched off. The back 3/5 was out of position.

End on a positive. For all the structural issues, we will create chances at this level. Blackburn looked fairly solid and yet we scored 3 and could have had 4 or 5.

Last edited:
Obviously watched it Waz, what are your thoughts on how Tindall set us up and managed the game?
I think it’s early to judge... but I will anyway as you asked! A poster above alluded to the fact that at no point did we ever feel in control of the game, it was very frantic. We set up with three at the back and insisted on playing out, Blackburn pressed us high and made it very difficult for us. Both Lerma and Cook were pretty poor on the ball, we were lucky to come in at half time level tbh. The first 20 of the second half were much better, we pushed Stacy higher and really got him into the game, likewise Kelly as the LCB started to push up the pitch and we looked more threatening as we were able to overload them a few times. The shape of the team from a defensive point of view looked very erratic at times, Blackburn players finding pockets of space too easily and if I’m being honest we were lucky to concede just the 2 goals. In terms of trying to play out from the back I personally believe that we’d have benefited greatly from having another body further up the pitch.

I think it’s early to judge... but I will anyway as you asked! A poster above alluded to the fact that at no point did we ever feel in control of the game, it was very frantic. We set up with three at the back and insisted on playing out, Blackburn pressed us high and made it very difficult for us. Both Lerma and Cook were pretty poor on the ball, we were lucky to come in at half time level tbh. The first 20 of the second half were much better, we pushed Stacy higher and really got him into the game, likewise Kelly as the LCB started to push up the pitch and we looked more threatening as we were able to overload them a few times. The shape of the team from a defensive point of view looked very erratic at times, Blackburn players finding pockets of space too easily and if I’m being honest we were lucky to concede just the 2 goals. In terms of trying to play out from the back I personally believe that we’d have benefited greatly from having another body further up the pitch.

Cheers, interesting you mention that the defensive side of things was erratic as under EH that was always JTs responsibility so probably not surprising that has stayed the same - although you could also argue if we wanted to change our culture on that side of things it might take a bit more time. The new coach didn’t sound like a defensive masterclass either though so I Guess more of the same to follow - I’m quite happy with that, as Long as we score goals, entertain and get results most weeks it’ll be better than what we have been served up for the last season and a half or so.

;