Blackburn - The Verdict

Still a work in progress. Credit to Blackburn for taking the game to us. Be interesting to see how we get on against the sides who will sit back

A win is a win is a win. We'll take the 3 points. We're on the board. Lessons to learn but without 3 players , 2 big players and one year, from last season and Brooks on the bench it was great to get a win. Danjuma stole the show with his tricks and belting goal. Travers poor , for me, but will improve with more game time. Danjuma will take the headlines but Jack's goal was a great strike and his overall performance warrants a solid 8/10. Lewis needs a kick up the backside and Dom needs confidence . But , not a bad side together. Well done lads, onto the next one

First game back and under a new manager and we won against a decent side...the defensive frailties won’t be cured until we replace GK and CB

A win is a win is a win. We'll take the 3 points. We're on the board. Lessons to learn but without 3 players , 2 big players and one year, from last season and Brooks on the bench it was great to get a win. Danjuma stole the show with his tricks and belting goal. Travers poor , for me, but will improve with more game time. Danjuma will take the headlines but Jack's goal was a great strike and his overall performance warrants a solid 8/10. Lewis needs a kick up the backside and Dom needs confidence . But , not a bad side together. Well done lads, onto the next one
I don't think it's a secret that we're in the market for a keeper.

I think this season will hinge on injuries, if we can keep our top 14 players reasonably fit we have a good chance. If not we don't have a lot of depth

Hopefully Mark will come through. His performance against Spurs last season was worldly. So he has the talent

He was heavily protected and they had 9 men. Pulled off a couple of decent saves, but worldly, NO. Mark Ovendale at Wolves was the best Goalkeeping performance I've ever seen. That night, his performance was worldly.

I thought Lewis Cook was very good today, needs to be stronger in the tackle but apart from that he was very progressive.

I've been accused of being Cooks biggest fan on here and always praised him. He was poor today IMO. Lost the ball too many times and while he didnt get stuck in defensively he also didn't create much going forwards. I expected more from him, especially at this level.

That being said, first game of the season and a win. Plenty to work on but still 3 points.

What we forget is Rambo had 2 loan spells to get his mistakes out of his system before it mattered for us. Travers hasn’t had that chance yet so is learning on the job

I don't understand how Begovic gets the number one squad number (which seems to imply that he is our 'number one' goalkeeper) and doesn't play! Very confusing!

Getting Travers to learn on the job as it were as opposed to sending him out on loan in the lower leagues seems likely to cost us precious points in the short term, which could make a difference at the end of the season. I think a loan spell at League One level would do him a lot of good.

I know that I will get pelters for this but I would give Begovic a chance. Surely he is good enough at this level and has the experience that we need to help our promotion push. Also (and perhaps unlike wee man) he has the incentive to impress in his last year with us in order to enable him join as high a level of club that he can next season!

It was his first league game since Tottenham if I remember correctly so there was always going to be a mistake. As someone who played as goalkeeper I can simpathise for him more I guess
Travers played at Palace and let in 5, and at home to Watford last season and let in 3.
I would love to be proved wrong but I think we need an experienced keeper. He has probably played as often for Ireland as he has in the League for AFCB. a good loan spell would sort him out, like it did for Rambo.

He was heavily protected and they had 9 men. Pulled off a couple of decent saves, but worldly, NO. Mark Ovendale at Wolves was the best Goalkeeping performance I've ever seen. That night, his performance was worldly.
If he made brilliant saves it doesn't matter how many players they had on the pitch. And he did.

I must admit I like travers but today he should have saved both really. The first was a bit unlucky cause of the bounce but I can’t even try to defend the second for him. Yes you could argue the defence should have done better but he still should have saved it. And thank god that 3rd was offside

Completely agree about the second goal - far too easy to beat - though the defence were so slack dealing with it also .

;