Bristol City

That's really not a good interview. Suggests he's very unhappy and not seeing the activity he expects in the market. To come out with an interview with such a negative tone just before the season starts is obviously trying to send a message. To say we need help "even to be competitive" isn't great. And what exactly are the difficult circumstances he alludes to? Unless a strict spending limit imposed by the Board?
Well I would take it to mean being favourites for relegation, its hard to sign the players we want.
Not sure if we tried for Mee for example, but if he's got options he's going to go for a club he thinks less likely for relegation, that's the hard facts.
Loans and players from the championship who want Premier league chance are our best options

I know we don’t have much to go on, but Eddie didn’t exactly take pre-season seriously in terms of formations, systems and square pegs in round holes.

It was merely a fitness exercise until the last game when sometimes if he saw something he liked he would stick with it.

There’s some clear frustrations in there from Parker judging from that interview. Equally perhaps he’s playing things close to his chest.

Two weeks until all these things really matter.

Thoughts on today (yes I know it was only a pre season friendly)

-the evidence would strongly suggest that we are going to be lining up with a back three/five this season. We haven’t deviated from it once yet this pre season despite clearly lacking the numbers or personnel to play it currently. I see no other reason for doing this other than coaching the players to play in this shape. As others have alluded to, this is concerning considering the lack of both numbers and quality we currently have in the defensive area.

Positives:

-Rothwell looks like a very classy footballer, he glided effortlessly with the ball and his weight of pass/vision look to be PL standard too. I can see why we have been chasing him for so long.

-Hill was very good I thought, barely put a foot wrong. Very solid and won everything in the air against a renowned championship target man. Very mobile and good on the ball too. First impressions are that he has the potential to go very far.

-Lerma played well in the centre of a back three. Dealt with everything he had to well and stepped nicely into midfield while in possession.

Negatives:

-Adam Smith is not a wing back. Friendly or not, he just isn’t comfortable playing there. He just doesn’t pose the attacking threat needed to be effective in that position. If we are going to play wing backs then it has to be Fredericks or Stacey on that side, perhaps even Anthony. It just can’t be Smith because it just won’t work.

-Chris Mepham. Easily the worst performer today which says a lot given that our other defenders were midfielders and full backs being played out of position. He just isn’t good enough. He will cost us goals galore if he plays any great amount of minutes next season.

Final conclusions:

It is pretty obvious where we need to strengthen currently, perhaps the plan is to use Lerma in the centre of a back three who will step out into midfield while in possession. In all honesty I don’t think it’s the worst idea in the world, he certainly has the physical attributes to play there and he is a warrior who will throw his body in front of everything. If Francis can make the switch effectively I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that Lerma could too. We still need to strengthen though, because if we are relying on Mepham at any point this season then we are in trouble.

My thoughts are this. Meps gave away the penalty but I thought he did quite well before this, especially before he needed treatment. For me he was the most commanding of our three centre backs before the treatment. He won his aerials and made some really good forward passes. To say he was easily our worst performer is incorrect I think.

Lerma did a job and passed the ball forward well like Meps did at times. It is a waste him not being in midfield, but he can cover there and has done for his country.

Hill did alright considering his game time. He didn't really do anything particularly special but didn't mess up either. One thing I noticed he looked to the bench for instruction a few times.

Zemura seemed lost as a wing back, isolated without a left winger in support and struggled even more than usual to get back and defend. If he's being played as a wing back, he needs more support from the others.

Smithy isn't comfortable as a wing back. Christie and he didn't link up well. For me Stacey is more natural in this role or Fredericks. Smithy either as a right back or a right centre back.

Billing was playing a little too deep for my liking, but he went on some nice little runs in the second half.

Rothwell looked great. If he's going to play number 8, and Zemura is LWB, they will have to build up a stronger understanding and Rothwell will need to help JZ out more so they can overlap.

Christie huffed and puffed but didn't do so much apart from a nice shot/cross in the first half. He and Smithy just didn't work well together. Christie was lucky to not get booked for some fouls.

Cook did alright but again nothing spectacular.

All in all, today wasn't the best but it was a friendly, so no big deal really. One thing that was obvious to me is that we shouldn't play 3 at the back against weaker opposition. The point of the wing back formation is being able to break when you are doing a lot of defending. When you know you're going to have the ball a lot of the time, this formation doesn't work. We need to be flexible and play this formation against the very strong teams but not against the likes of Southampton, Fulham and Forest.

Last season we set up with 2 wide midfield players. Very wide.

Today the wide players were Zemura and Smith. With Cook and Rothwell in the middle.

Billing and Christie had a more fluid role. No set position. Solanke came back to collect the ball as he always does.

Junior came on and had the best two chances of the game but couldn't finish. He looked rusty.

I don't think the squad is worse than last year at all.

My thoughts are this. Meps gave away the penalty but I thought he did quite well before this, especially before he needed treatment. For me he was the most commanding of our three centre backs before the treatment. He won his aerials and made some really good forward passes. To say he was easily our worst performer is incorrect I think.

Lerma did a job and passed the ball forward well like Meps did at times. It is a waste him not being in midfield, but he can cover there and has done for his country.

Hill did alright considering his game time. He didn't really do anything particularly special but didn't mess up either. One thing I noticed he looked to the bench for instruction a few times.

Zemura seemed lost as a wing back, isolated without a left winger in support and struggled even more than usual to get back and defend. If he's being played as a wing back, he needs more support from the others.

Smithy isn't comfortable as a wing back. Christie and he didn't link up well. For me Stacey is more natural in this role or Fredericks. Smithy either as a right back or a right centre back.

Billing was playing a little too deep for my liking, but he went on some nice little runs in the second half.

Rothwell looked great. If he's going to play number 8, and Zemura is LWB, they will have to build up a stronger understanding and Rothwell will need to help JZ out more so they can overlap.

Christie huffed and puffed but didn't do so much apart from a nice shot/cross in the first half. He and Smithy just didn't work well together. Christie was lucky to not get booked for some fouls.

Cook did alright but again nothing spectacular.

All in all, today wasn't the best but it was a friendly, so no big deal really. One thing that was obvious to me is that we shouldn't play 3 at the back against weaker opposition. The point of the wing back formation is being able to break when you are doing a lot of defending. When you know you're going to have the ball a lot of the time, this formation doesn't work. We need to be flexible and play this formation against the very strong teams but not against the likes of Southampton, Fulham and Forest.
Your comments on Hill are exactly why he was the best centre back out there today, he didn’t do anything special because he didn’t have to. That is exactly what you want from a centre back, solid and dependable. Mepham always has these lapses in him even against weaker opposition, he just can’t be relied upon.

I think three at the back will be fine most weeks next season as we will be the weaker opposition the majority of games!

Observations from a non-attendee:
Disappointing result, but its only a friendly
SP not exactly hyping the coming season, but is he playing down deliberately?
Is Kelly injured?
Bring on Villa.

Last season we set up with 2 wide midfield players. Very wide.

Today the wide players were Zemura and Smith. With Cook and Rothwell in the middle.

Billing and Christie had a more fluid role. No set position. Solanke came back to collect the ball as he always does.

Junior came on and had the best two chances of the game but couldn't finish. He looked rusty.

I don't think the squad is worse than last year at all.

My concern with the system is that it doesn't really suit either JZ or Smith. So are we now putting square pegs in round holes (even assuming we can find 3 fit CBs)?

The first 11 definitely strong as last year if everyone fit, but we do look a bit threadbare at the moment given we let 8 go, are not sure when Brooks is back, and unlikely to get more than a few games from Stan. A lot for Parker to ponder in the next 2 weeks!

Probably classic pre season nerves on my part but didn't like the tone of the Parker interview much.

Well I would take it to mean being favourites for relegation, its hard to sign the players we want.
Not sure if we tried for Mee for example, but if he's got options he's going to go for a club he thinks less likely for relegation, that's the hard facts.
Loans and players from the championship who want Premier league chance are our best options
It’s the job of the recruitment department to identify and secure players that can improve us. It may not be easy but the likes of Fulham, Forest and Brentford last season all managed it despite being favourites to go down. Parker sounds very dissatisfied with how this summer has gone so far, I got hammered on here for saying that we don’t currently stand a chance of being competitive and now our manager has come out and said the same. A few need to open their eyes to the reality of the situation we are in right now, if we don’t recruit quite a few very soon then this is going to be a very long season.

It’s the job of the recruitment department to identify and secure players that can improve us. It may not be easy but the likes of Fulham, Forest and Brentford last season all managed it despite being favourites to go down. Parker sounds very dissatisfied with how this summer has gone so far, I got hammered on here for saying that we don’t currently stand a chance of being competitive and now our manager has come out and said the same. A few need to open their eyes to the reality of the situation we are in right now, if we don’t recruit quite a few very soon then this is going to be a very long season.
Have you put a bet on yet?

Your comments on Hill are exactly why he was the best centre back out there today, he didn’t do anything special because he didn’t have to. That is exactly what you want from a centre back, solid and dependable. Mepham always has these lapses in him even against weaker opposition, he just can’t be relied upon.

I think three at the back will be fine most weeks next season as we will be the weaker opposition the majority of games!

But Kelly has also had lapses and Steve Cook certainly did. Smithy has given away his fair share of penalties. Jeff is a walking red card yet we quite rightly love him. I just don't think Meps is as bad as some people say.

My concern with the system is that it doesn't really suit either JZ or Smith. So are we now putting square pegs in round holes (even assuming we can find 3 fit CBs)?

The first 11 definitely strong as last year if everyone fit, but we do look a bit threadbare at the moment given we let 8 go, are not sure when Brooks is back, and unlikely to get more than a few games from Stan. A lot for Parker to ponder in the next 2 weeks!

Probably classic pre season nerves on my part but didn't like the tone of the Parker interview much.

Agree and if we play with wing backs, Parker will use inverted number 8s, which won't necessarily suit Rothwell or Billing if they play in those positions. You'really lost better off with inverted wing backs but that's a bit of a headache.

He didn't say that at all, he said he thought we were short today although trying different things, but was pleased with the way pre season had gone.

Hmm. I think he's said a bit too much there. Unless he's sending Max a message, what he's said is going to lower morale and put players off joining us.

If you're only interested in a winning team then it may well be a long season.

;