Derby - The Verdict

Terrible first half, some really poor individual performances and the wrong tactics for this game. Three at the back is fine for tough games against top sides but it was a waste today.

One positive is that JT clearly has enough about him as a manager to inspire improved second half performances. As poor as the scoreline is we created plenty of chances in the second half, certainly enough to win the game, and it is difficult to break down ultra defensive sides.

I get the feeling from social media that L Cook is becoming the new Surman. All of his hard work covering the gaps as the defenders get forward and mopping up is ignored. He passes astray sometimes, no more than any other player. Billing was given free roam in front of Cook and was shocking. Thought the two Cooks were our best players today in what was a poor performance, due to selection and formation.

He could be so much better than he is though. Some of his suicidal passing causes massive problems and seems so unnecessary. Way better than billing today though as you say.

Terrible first half, some really poor individual performances and the wrong tactics for this game. Three at the back is fine for tough games against top sides but it was a waste today.

One positive is that JT clearly has enough about him as a manager to inspire improved second half performances. As poor as the scoreline is we created plenty of chances in the second half, certainly enough to win the game, and it is difficult to break down ultra defensive sides.

see we were not great again first half .

as you said though JT has changed personnel and formations and that has paid dividends

How about he inspires some first half performances .

To be honest though.......with a squad of this talent at Tindalls disposal.......

We should be beating a very shyte Derby County.

Agree, were unbeaten, but these are the games we need to put to bed.

Derby were rubbish, if a bit clinical.

Called it before the match......dont give cheap free kicks away around the area.

What did we do??

Yeah you're right.. a commentator on R5 said " Rooney will fancy this " ...I was driving home from the moors.. then switched the radio off cus it was annoying Her...turned it back on 1 minute later just to check it out( the free kick) and there we were 1 down....I never learn...neither do the team!

I get the feeling from social media that L Cook is becoming the new Surman. All of his hard work covering the gaps as the defenders get forward and mopping up is ignored. He passes astray sometimes, no more than any other player. Billing was given free roam in front of Cook and was shocking. Thought the two Cooks were our best players today in what was a poor performance, due to selection and formation.

Cooks biggest weakness is trying to turn players on the area between the edge of our area and the halfway line.

If I had a quid for every time he loses possession there I'd have at least 74 quid.

This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires

I just don’t think we’re that convincing atm in general...

Taking aside the Coventry game we’ve not had a complete performance yet... second half seems to be our stronger part of the game but we are too prone to being Sh*t at the moment...

Not bashing JT at all as he’s done very little to suggest an issue, but you do start to wonder if this is the Bradbury scenario again, with players that can play to a level with little management etc... for a time... but sooner or later you get found out if you don’t have a quality manager keeping the players inventive...

We talk of Reading being in a false position atm, but if you’ve watched our games, we won’t be in the top 6 much longer unless we pick up our performances a bit...

Last edited:
How about he inspires some first half performances .

Well obviously that's what's required but if you are going to be good in only one half it's better to be the second half rather than the manager being worked out and not having the ability to change it.

Random observations -

* full marks to JT, all three subs made an impact.
* young Riquelme has brought excitement to the pitch each time he has played.
* FT passing stats .... 83% successful. What game was I watching????
* S. Cook ...... very brave as always.
* Danjuma ...... not sure what I was seeing there. Goes down three times very softly. Then, in the last five minutes, pulls out of possible challenges by Derby players in the box. Not seen that before today, maybe just some faulty judgement?

A point is a point, but was counting on 3.

Next opponent just lost to Wycombe. Gotta get 3 there.

Yeah you're right.. a commentator on R5 said " Rooney will fancy this " ...I was driving home from the moors.. then switched the radio off cus it was annoying Her...turned it back on 1 minute later just to check it out( the free kick) and there we were 1 down....I never learn...neither do the team!

Driving home from the moors?

You are the Beast of Bodmin and I claim my £5

I just don’t think we’re that convincing atm in general...

Taking aside Coventry game we’ve not had a complete performance yet... second half seems to be our stronger part of the game but we are too prone to being Sh*t at the moment...

Not bashing JT at all as he’s done very little to suggest an issue, but you do start to wonder if this is the Bradbury scenario again, with players that can play to a level with little management etc... for a time... but sooner or later you get found out if you don’t have a quality manager keeping the players inventive...

We talk of Reading being in a false position atm, but I’d you’ve watched out games, we won’t be on the top 6 much longer unless we pick up our performances a bit...
100 per cent bro.

Tindall will ride the crest of a wave.....

Sacked by March.

Billing was awful .Gave away the free kick then was stood with his arms in the air on the edge of the D when the ball went in instead of being in the mix to try and defend.Definitely a liability flits in and out of the game can’t rely on him to be a consistant performer in the team a real worry when he is selected.

I think Reading might crumble....but I can see Swansea, M' Boro , Stoke and maybe Norwich being difficult to shake off.
I don't buy this sh*t about having the best squad....if that was such a deal we would have stayed up...look at Burnley and Sheff Utd now ffs. and they were miles better than us!
No we are feeding ourselves false notions on that score.....we can do it...but only if the players see the need to improve.
We are not the squad worthy of the Pre- season Hype!..not yet!

You can't blame Tindall if players like Dan Juma and Billing mince about waiting for 'others' to happen..they have to create by harrassing the ball and whatever stands in front of them!

;