Derby - The Verdict

Regarding the question of 3 or 4 at the back:
In theory 3 at the back can be fantastic, if both wing backs attack. However, our only ability to penetrate came down the left flank, which made us too predictable. I can't count how many times Stacey got the ball on the right and was either not moving, or stopped moving. Then he would just stand there, and recycle it sideways or backwards. When your right wingback doesn't do anything, you may as well play 4 at the back.
I'm not sure what happened - whether Derby had a plan to close him down, whether he was just tired, whether Mepham (or whoever) played him poor balls that made him slow down and check his runs . . . but Stacey is quite effective when receiving the ball while running at full tilt, and this didn't happen.
So I think 3 at the back could be good if we had 2 really effective wingbacks, but if someone is off his game, or getting closed down, the 'advantage' is lost and you may as well switch to a 4.
To JT's credit, he did this, although probably a bit late in the game. It will be interesting to see whether he either starts with 4 at the back, or switches to it earlier, in future matches.

Stacey looked knackered to me,I don't think he has been rested yet and it showed.
Calls for Tindall to be replaced are madness,I think he has done OK so far,if not a little too defensive for my liking.
You have to remember we have lost our best ever manager and a lot of good players with none of that money being spent.
We are lucky though to still have a Premier League quality squad,and Jase has stamped his ideas onto it.
I do agree though,we don't look like a promotion winning team,but that may change as the likes of Brooks and King get match fit,and Roro gets more game time.
My prediction start of the season was that it would be a Bradbury style season where we make the playoffs but ultimately fail,and unfortunately I still stand by it.

Stacey looked knackered to me,I don't think he has been rested yet and it showed.
Calls for Tindall to be replaced are madness,I think he has done OK so far,if not a little too defensive for my liking.
You have to remember we have lost our best ever manager and a lot of good players with none of that money being spent.
We are lucky though to still have a Premier League quality squad,and Jase has stamped his ideas onto it.
I do agree though,we don't look like a promotion winning team,but that may change as the likes of Brooks and King get match fit,and Roro gets more game time.
My prediction start of the season was that it would be a Bradbury style season where we make the playoffs but ultimately fail,and unfortunately I still stand by it.
Good players have ability and attitude, those who lacked attitude are best moved on.
The work rate this season has been rediscovered

Solanke is the problem, as he has been for months and months.

I think his general forward play, link-up stuff, ball winning & retention has been one of the highlights of the season so far. Unfortunately his ability to finish, both composure & ability is looking well dodgy. My feeling is he may end up performing a non main striker role.

I think he's been unlucky and could have grabbed a couple more so far this season if not for some fine saves and a post.

Solanke is actually doing more of Billing's role than Billing is.

Billing shows the odd glimpses of what he can do and then goes missing for large parts of games. In the centre of the park you can't afford that luxury as it heaps pressure on the rest of the squad,

I honestly think he should be dropped until he shows in training he is capable of performing for the full time he is on the pitch.

No such complaints with Solanke, he does plenty on the pitch I just feel he's not an out and out striker.

Solanke doing okay IMO..at least he is having a go and the goals will come for him over this season I feel sure of that..
He's doing more than OK. I think he's just been unlucky.
He's getting himself in all the right positions, he's working hard, he's getting some good shots off. I still think he'll score at least 20 this season.

;