Diego Rico

I actually think he would make a better winger than defender.
I would be interested to know if that was his first position when younger.
Apparently Charlie Daniels was a winger before he got converted at Spurs.
I think both are better going forward than defending.
Rico has pace and a great cross on him.

What concerns me is that there wasnt another left back in the championship that we could have got for 10M or less. I know it's still early days but he is 25 and we can expect better.

Perhaps that's part of the issue, we're always looking for a wide defender to have a very good attacking edge rather than being a purely defensive minded player, at the moment Rico's best attributes are getting forward and particularly his crossing, hopefully he gets over the language barrier (and maybe his homesickness) and gets to grips with Eddies coaching, I think then we'll see a better all round player

I actually think he would make a better winger than defender.
I would be interested to know if that was his first position when younger.
Apparently Charlie Daniels was a winger before he got converted at Spurs.
I think both are better going forward than defending.
Rico has pace and a great cross on him.
I read that his first position was as a centre back...strange as we feel he cannot defend!!!

I have my doubts about Rico from a positional perspective. The way Rashford waltzed past him for the first goal at Old Trafford a couple of weeks back was disappointing too.
I hope he comes good, our home crowd are supportive by chanting his name.
I guess 2 out of the 3 summer signings in the first team already with Brooks and Lerma is good.
Whilst I agree that he, and Ake, didn’t cover themselves in glory with the first goal, Rashford did incredibly well. If Brooks had beaten two men and set up a goal in exactly the same manner we’d be purring about how well he’d done. Sometimes we need to remember that we’re in a league with some of the finest players around and they have the ability to do this to the best in the business.

For what it’s worth, the jury’s still out for me on Rico. I think there’s a player there and he clearly has the ability to deliver quality from the wing. Defensively there’s work to do for sure but it’s too early to write him off.

We really must be more sure of what we are getting before we shell out the dosh.....we seem to get bitten every year..Today...I've had a Newcastle fan laughing his head off about Clyne and Solanke already!
This is a guy who likes Afbc almost as much as his own club!
He did say though he had similar concerns for Newcastles recruitment forays!

I have my doubts about Rico from a positional perspective. The way Rashford waltzed past him for the first goal at Old Trafford a couple of weeks back was disappointing too.
I hope he comes good, our home crowd are supportive by chanting his name.
I guess 2 out of the 3 summer signings in the first team already with Brooks and Lerma is good.

Watching the highlights of the Man Utd game I thought Rashford waltzed past Ake? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Watching the highlights of the Man Utd game I thought Rashford waltzed past Ake? Correct me if I'm wrong.
He did indeed.

Rico then stood and watched him go by, had Rashford have been a bit slower Rico would have had time to give him a round of applause.

Not one of Rico's better moments.

We really must be more sure of what we are getting before we shell out the dosh.....we seem to get bitten every year..Today...I've had a Newcastle fan laughing his head off about Clyne and Solanke already!
This is a guy who likes Afbc almost as much as his own club!
He did say though he had similar concerns for Newcastles recruitment forays!

Solanke is a gamble for sure (but there again the same cost as grabban abc afobe) but fail to understand why Clyne is a bad signing? To get a prem ready loan player in January is a real find imho.

As for Rico, still stick to my original prediction he will be a real star for afcb. Wonderful left foot and very powerful. Not the finished article of course and needs development. Getting his confidence back will be important. Not sure he is much worse than Tierney at £23m

...like Ibe and Mousset...maybe we should be more patient with Diego?

..we are lucky that Brooks and Lerma picked it up quicker but they may be exceptional talents (it is certainly appearing so?)

It is surely down to how players are coached and pushed by Howe & Tindall, because no player is signed as a dud.

Oh how managing a club would be so so easy if every player just fitted in straight away and hit the ground running...Howe will know when to stop flogging a dead horse an move them on as he has done with Benik Afobe,Tokelo Rantie and Brad Smith?

We persevered with Simon Francis, Charlie Daniels and Steve Cook who paid the club back in spades...

I thought Lys was awful on Saturday and Jordon has been too in some games...but should we be on their backs all the time?

That isn't going to help is t?
"..like Ibe and Mousset... "

Almost been at the club 3 years each, I think we've been very supportive to date, especially in stadiums.

Most fans like myself will always be supportive if players actually look like their trying, something both of the above has been known not to do..

I'd not want to be hard on Mousset, because he was an excellent catalyst last season for many a come back. Those were fully fledged PL performances, and those points moved us up the table such that they more than paid back his transfer fee.

In those situations, he played what I believe is his best position. Inside forwad, or playing off a centre forward like Callum or Josh. Picking up pockets of space between the lines, as opposed to leading the line by himself, which is a very different skillset, much more physically demanding, and requires him to take up completely different positions and make different runs.

Pair him up with a proper centre forward to whom he supports, and he looks a far better player. As opposed to when he himself is the centre forward.

Solanke is a gamble for sure (but there again the same cost as grabban abc afobe) but fail to understand why Clyne is a bad signing? To get a prem ready loan player in January is a real find imho.

As for Rico, still stick to my original prediction he will be a real star for afcb. Wonderful left foot and very powerful. Not the finished article of course and needs development. Getting his confidence back will be important. Not sure he is much worse than Tierney at £23m

I hope it is a confidence thing. He clearly has many of the skills, but there is something not right with his mindset when he's not doing the basics like tracking and looking up when making a pass. It looks like he is trying hard so hopefully it is something that can be trained out. Like Charlie you don't always know the full picture of what's happening off the pitch either. I have full trust in Eddie to give him everything he needs to develop including time.

Re Mousset. There is a big difference between coming on as sub and starting. Saturday he had to take some responsibility and lead the line rather than fit into an existing pattern of play.

Saturday taught us that Mousset will struggle if playing upfront on his own. It's not that he doesn't work hard, it's more that he needs to be spurred on to chase down loose balls and harry defenders by a partner, a la vs Chelsea with Wilson.

Regarding Rico...he's a quality player. He looks like he's trying too hard atm, looks a bit panicky on the ball and while defending. Add that to the new culture, new language, new team dilemma, then its reasonable to see why he might be struggling; even well into January and beyond.

Lerma seems like a genuinely intelligent guy in general, which might explain why he's settled in quicker. He seemed to get his role and what he needed to almost immediately. Just look at how he adapted his play vs Watford so as to not get as involved in all the fouls.

Re Mousset. There is a big difference between coming on as sub and starting. Saturday he had to take some responsibility and lead the line rather than fit into an existing pattern of play.

You are correct. You are someone who has actually engaged brain before commenting.

...we cannot throw money around like Man City,Liverpool, Chelsea or Man United (and even some of their transfers in don't work?)...so it is up to Eddie to buy cheaper liek Mousset and Rico and bring them players on in terms of development and potential...time will tell if this can be done, but in these day when under 10 million buys you a more of a risk...then that it how it will be...

I still have an issue with paying 15 million for Ibe and 19 million for Solanke because these a bigger gambles for a club our size? That said we got Ake and Brooks in for eight figure sums and they have worked out really well thus far!

The transfer market really is roulette wheel of fortune!!

The article about/involving Mousset in Saturday's programme was an insight into his mindset. Given his performance on the pitch a PR disaster.

;