Diego Rico

I think he was thrown in earlier than expected, as a result of Daniels getting injured... He has some good elements of his game, just needs some positional work...

He's also a better back up than B.Smith, however, I firmly expect A.Smith to be our new LB when fit, for the remainder of the season...

I've just remarked on another thread that sadly we seem to have bought a pup....not a lot going on upstairs unfortunately.

He’s played what, 10 games? Let’s give the guy more of a chance. New language, new team mates, new culture, new style of play, often playing out of position, just because Lerma has adapted quickly doesn’t mean everyone does.

Hope he comes good.

Rico will come good I am sure. He is just having difficulty in adjusting to the English game of which is largely consist of blood and thunder. He does not suddenly become a bad player overnight
Well obviously if thats the opinion of a top scout like Minty then i might have re-evaluate my opinion of him....

I blow hot and cold with Rico. Most of the time I think it's a confidence thing.

Although, I did notice on Saturday that Cook was very animated with him when trying to explain it was a free kick and not a throw in, "ON THE FLOOR!". You get the jist.

Anyway, my point being that the language barrier might also be holding him back somewhat.

I have my doubts about Rico from a positional perspective. The way Rashford waltzed past him for the first goal at Old Trafford a couple of weeks back was disappointing too.
I hope he comes good, our home crowd are supportive by chanting his name.
I guess 2 out of the 3 summer signings in the first team already with Brooks and Lerma is good.

...like Ibe and Mousset...maybe we should be more patient with Diego?

..we are lucky that Brooks and Lerma picked it up quicker but they may be exceptional talents (it is certainly appearing so?)

It is surely down to how players are coached and pushed by Howe & Tindall, because no player is signed as a dud.

Oh how managing a club would be so so easy if every player just fitted in straight away and hit the ground running...Howe will know when to stop flogging a dead horse an move them on as he has done with Benik Afobe,Tokelo Rantie and Brad Smith?

We persevered with Simon Francis, Charlie Daniels and Steve Cook who paid the club back in spades...

I thought Lys was awful on Saturday and Jordon has been too in some games...but should we be on their backs all the time?

That isn't going to help is t?

Anyway, my point being that the language barrier might also be holding him back somewhat.

If that's true it's still an indictment. At the end of the day they train for two hours a day max, maybe the same doing match analysis (assuming they play). That's a lot of time left for language learning. I've lived abriad and jumped through every hoop I could to learn the language it's the only way to survive, depsite everyone talking English

Rico will come good I am sure. He is just having difficulty in adjusting to the English game of which is largely consist of blood and thunder. He does not suddenly become a bad player overnight
On the other end of the spectrum, Lerma has fit in very well to our system...

I read an interview with Arsenal Wenger once which has stuck with me. He said there were three key qualities he used to assess a professional player:

- awareness, including of the role he has been asked to do, as well as the ability to recognise and anticipate what is happening around him:

- decision making, including speed of thought; and

- execution.

From what I have seen of Rico, he is lacking awareness. Hopefully that will improve with familiarity and coaching.

Last edited:

;