Dominic Solanke

Well that's a signing I really didn't expect! My gut feel is that it's a good move. But I'm curious to see what EH's plans will be for the side moving forward.

And you don't get sold by Chelsea and Liverpool without a second thought if you are any good. Debatable though with chelsea, but they didn't haggle and let him go for £2m- £4m without a buy back clause like they did with players like ake.

Chelsea didn't sell him, Solanke refused a new contract and the fee of £3M was determined by a tribunal. there was no possible buy back clause as he was out of contract. Chelsea would have preferred to keep him.

Plenty of players have been let go by other clubs only to come to the fore later on after joining up with a great coach.

21 and already a seasoned junior level international who will provide cover for CW or Josh should injury curse strike again and give Moose a run for his place. What's not to like.

I'm skeptical about this signing, lot of money for someone who has scored 1 PL goal. Hopefully he proves me wrong but did we really need a striker unless Wilson is getting sold? Some terrible businessmen at this club who have helped fund Liverpool's transformation to title contenders in the last few years. Too many closet Liverpool in Bournemouth.

Training ground all day for me. Not wishing to go all Brighton on us but we really do need to look at improving our infrastructure going forwards. I understand the stadium is an economic decision and that the numbers don't necessarily add up to justify the investment. I think that argument is harder to make when it comes to our training facilities which are an integral part of our performance levels on the field and of our ability to attract quality players to the :

Yeah I completely agree with thisits something I feel we need to do. Personally I think Solanke could be a big gamble, I said earlier I didn't want to sign him as I thought he has been hyped up because of the England under 17s succes and we never needed to sign him. I am just hoping that it don't mean Wilsons off.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical about this signing, lot of money for someone who has scored 1 PL goal. Hopefully he proves me wrong but did we really need a striker unless Wilson is getting sold? Some terrible businessmen at this club who have helped fund Liverpool's transformation to title contenders in the last few years. Too many closet Liverpool in Bournemouth.

To me it shows we still have the Intent to knock around this league for a while longer. Its the best news we've had since the stadium / training ground knock back - I don't mean signing Solanke necessarily, just getting our nose in the market and showing we still mean business.

If Eddie wanted him and we've done this early then a little harsh to slag off you know who.

We don't have the intent to build a Stadium or training ground though. One big signing a window gives the club the excuse each time not too build which I expect will happen indefinitely.

Well Eddie seems more than happy to strengthen his squad and make do with the facilities at his disposal.
I suspect the Stadium and training ground stuff is more to do with long term ownership of the club - be it Russian, american or whatever.

Well Eddie seems more than happy to strengthen his squad and make do with the facilities at his disposal.
I suspect the Stadium and training ground stuff is more to do with long term ownership of the club - be it Russian, american or whatever.
“This signing is another statement of the club’s intention to develop young players while building a squad that is capable of competing with the best in the Premier League.”

From the Brighton website before we signed Solanke.

I don't understand those that aren't exited by this. He's a 6'2, quick, young English striker that has scored goals across all the England age groups, and Southgate thought highly enough of him to give him a full cap a while back. He also has been thought well enough of to be retained by Liverpool up until now. Brighton and other smaller Prem teams only get the chance to sign players like this before they show their full promise.

Our current options are.... Murray, he's incredible but how much longer he will keep going at his level? Locadia, is he a winger, is he a striker? He certainly isn't the quick target man and long term replacement for Murray we were expecting. Leaving us with Andone who has made a great start.

Our youngsters... Connolly has great promise but doesn't have 50 senior appearances behind him like Solanke and is not a longer term Murray replacement. Gyokeres, unsure if he is a left winger or striker? Plus he isn't home grown.

Due to our current options it wouldn't make sense to bring Solanke in on a 6 month loan. But, a loan with a view to a permanent or permanent in January would be a big statement and very exciting. He could well have already been a target before Ashworth was due to come in, but if we stay up this year it could well be a long term (Ashworth) plan to target home grown players that haven't quite broken through at bigger clubs.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?369232-Dominic-Solanke/page2

;