Dominic Solanke

yeah of course that what happened but if you watch the goal when semenyo shoots he starts his run towards goal gathers the ball on the penalty spot rounds the keeper and scores, he started his run incase the shot was spilled he could be there to hit it in, but why tell the truth when you can make up some rubbish about him
He is also the only player we have who would have anticipated and finished that.

very true we don't seem to have alot of football intelligence in our team even if it filled with good footballers
I noticed yesterday how stationary are movement is in the box. We get good numbers there now but none of them take gambles or move. Look at the movement for both Spurs goals. Too many identical players covering poor previous recruitment.

I noticed yesterday how stationary are movement is in the box. We get good numbers there now but none of them take gambles or move. Look at the movement for both Spurs goals. Too many identical players covering poor previous recruitment.
this season we need a defoe type player for his movement in the box, but had billing been in the 10 role he would give us that more or even solanke in the 10 role

Well for what it's worth, I think Solanke works his socks off......his finishing is woeful........if it were true ( and I don't think it is )....35-40 million offer, and you would get killed in the rush to drive him up there...
I totally agree with this. Ive never debated his work rate or effort just the fact that he doesn't have all the attributes to be a consistent PL scorer. He does work hard for the team , no question. The questions are over his finishing, positioning, strength, instinct, control, heading, pace and desire to score goals. When we signed him we paid top money for what we hoped would be a player whod progress to be a top asset. Liverpool and England u21 on his CV. Liverpool didn't see it in him hence allowing him to leave. He's been here since 2019 and , in my eyes, hasn't proven he's PL quality. He had a good season in the championship which always gets mentioned but the difference in levels isn't comparable.

Well for what it's worth, I think Solanke works his socks off......his finishing is woeful........if it were true ( and I don't think it is )....35-40 million offer, and you would get killed in the rush to drive him up there...

How did he score 30 plus in the 2nd tier if his finishing was that bad?

Wonder if @Matt Stevenson has access to xg or whatever indicates how many decent chances he had per goal in the championship? Or whatever level.

Not saying hes the best finisher of all time, but I think he's no worse than average at pl level. Coupled with his pedigree of tge clubs he played for, I don't think his finishing is too bad at all or he'd probably have plummeted down the leagues. Chelsea and Liverpool wouldn't have invested in him if it was that bad.

He gets a rough ride from some on here about being inept in front of goal and personally I feel its unjustified... just my opinion.

Wonder if @Matt Stevenson has access to xg or whatever indicates how many decent chances he had per goal in the championship? Or whatever level.

Not saying hes the best finisher of all time, but I think he's no worse than average at pl level. Coupled with his pedigree of tge clubs he played for, I don't think his finishing is too bad at all or he'd probably have plummeted down the leagues. Chelsea and Liverpool wouldn't have invested in him if it was that bad.

He gets a rough ride from some on here about being inept in front of goal and personally I feel its unjustified... just my opinion.
There is a big gulf between PL strikers and Championship imo....you could also argue Chelsea and Liverpool wouldn't have got rid of him if his finishing was good .. ;)

There is a big gulf between PL strikers and Championship imo....you could also argue Chelsea and Liverpool wouldn't have got rid of him if his finishing was good .. ;)

Yeah theres certainly an argument for that. Part of the reason I'm interested (for the first time in my life...) of seeing some xg type stuff around him.

Don't think we can read too much into elite clubs offloading young players. You have to be pretty exceptional most the time due to the competition, demands... and even then some players they release do go on to play at the top level once getting regular football.

I don;t think anyone is claiming Solanke is good enough to lead the line for one of the top clubs. He is fine for most other top tier clubs though imo.

chelsea didn't want him to leave they offered him new deals and he went to Liverpool thinking he would get more opportunities a tribunal set the fee

saying that did KDB even play for chelsea?
just looked it up.

9 times in 13/14 season

3 League
3 League Cup
3 Europe

Is he the biggest regret/'cast off' that rebounded of all time?

He joined from Genk (Yenk?) 12/13. You'd have hoped one of the experts at Chelsea would have spotted just how good he was and made a strong case for retaining him, rather than selling.

Not sure if KDB pushed for a perm move, as some do, rather than going out on loan for years. Home sick at the time, other factors? No idea tbh. Must be pretty sickening as a fan, near to club to see how he transformed.

Moanrinho apparently said he rated him and was part of his plans beginning of 13/14. Then was sold to Wolfsburg for £18 mill in Jan. Chelsea signed him for 7 mill.

August 15/16 City signed him for 55 mill.

Last edited:
I agree he works tirelessly and sometimes selflessly for the team.

Not sure I'd go as far as saying his finishing is woeful, the goal against West ham argues against your observation.

What I would say is he isn't clinical enough where he needs to make the decisions. I think in situations where natural instincts kick in he is ok, not great, but when he needs/has time to think he flounders a bit

I agree he works tirelessly and sometimes selflessly for the team.

Not sure I'd go as far as saying his finishing is woeful, the goal against West ham argues against your observation.

What I would say is he isn't clinical enough where he needs to make the decisions. I think in situations where natural instincts kick in he is ok, not great, but when he needs/has time to think he flounders a bit

Yeah. Although that goal v West Ham indicates decent composure, decision making under pressure when having time to think. He made it look much easier than it was imo.

Hopefully something will click for him, and perhaps running around less, and using mental energy/concentration more around getting into positions and being clinical from more situations/scenarios will allow him to step up.

I think he has the ingredients, just a slight change in focus, style, perspective and he could be prolific at this level. Big season for him to adapt imo. I think he'll pull it off.

I found some data analysis that I had done for the 20-21 season - so not Solanke's big scoring season. See below, but the upshot is that it implies in terms of finishing alone - he was slightly below par - assuming the regression is correct, the 95% confidence interval would be 16.46 to 19.77 goals and he got 15. (CIs not plotted on graphs).

But, as we know, there is potentially a lot more to a forward's game than just finishing. Unsurprisingly, Danjuma surpassed his xG.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

That was the chance the keeper made a very good save from forcing the ball into the side netting. Brilliant through ball to Dom from Aarons.
Must be a different one as can't remember keeper needing to save it. Second half v West ham, Infront of the NS, left hand side of the goal of looking from the NS.

;