Dominic Solanke

The thing is though, he is on a long term contract with us and we could just play hardball and say 70m or he stays. I could see one or two clubs being desperate enough and worried enough about losing him, to stump up something close to that, even if that includes an element of add ons.
So 70m including add ons. I could see somebody deeming that a fair price tbh.
We potentially have other players who would be easier to replace whom we could sell to plug any FFP holes, so I’d like to see us play hardball with our prized asset.
Will be interesting to see how we play this in the summer.
I have faith in the new owners. They won’t just bend over and get shafted. Any sale has to make sense. He’s our player, it’s our call.

The thing is though, he is on a long term contract with us and we could just play hardball and say 70m or he stays. I could see one or two clubs being desperate enough and worried enough about losing him, to stump up something close to that, even if that includes an element of add ons.
So 70m including add ons. I could see somebody deeming that a fair price tbh.
We potentially have other players who would be easier to replace whom we could sell to plug any FFP holes.
Will be interesting to see how we play this in the summer.
I have faith in the new owners. They won’t just bend over and get shafted. Any sale has to make sense. He’s our player, it’s our call.

Who knows, I still wonder about how significant the period he struggled will be. There's still going to be question marks over whether that was a blip or of this is a purple patch.

Tbf to the club they've usually done ok in extracting value when selling players.

Who knows, I still wonder about how significant the period he struggled will be. There's still going to be question marks over whether that was a blip or of this is a purple patch.

Tbf to the club they've usually done ok in extracting value when selling players.
The new owners will be looking to balance on field success with the financial considerations. Currently you’d say that Dom is likely to be a massive facilitator of another successful season next season, so what is that worth to us ? Then there are the FFP benefits to selling him and cashing in, but how will we cope next season without him ?
I think that it is going to take a big offer for us to decide that selling him makes overall sense this summer.

For that reason I fully expect us to play hardball.
I am also fairly confident that Dom will respect and accept our right to do so. Add to that the possibility that Dom does well again for us next season and, in doing so, increases his value significantly for next summer. Of course, he could also bomb or get injured.

So do we stick or twist ? Thankfully our owners have connections to Vegas, so hopefully they will make the right bet !

I see us holding out for top dollar and if no such offer comes in, we hang onto him for another season in the hope that a) he helps us to another successful season and b) adds to his reputation and value for the summer window in 2025.

If (big if) Dom does go in the summer, it will be one of the toughest assignments for Franno to deal with replacing 17+ goals? I wouldn't want that as my first job in charge

Be an interesting window, the last one was a damp squid due to ffp.
Who's got 50m to spend on one player?
Came to say this basically. The market was red hot a year or so back, Chelsea and City (for example) were throwing huge sums around. Seems like maybe all the FFP/PSR hoohaar might have lowered the ceiling? We’ll find out I guess.

Assurances may have been given when Dom’s contract was extended, or there may have been clauses included in the contract in the event of an offer from, for example, a club competing in the Champions League. In any event, if the club said something on the lines of “we won’t stand in your way if a decent offer from a big club comes in” then we should stand by that. Dom gives his all on the field and deserves to be treated with integrity.

Obviously Solanke is a prize asset just now but let’s please not talk about him as if he were a bull on its way to market.

I very much disagree and said as such at the time.

And the old body language argument isn’t going to do much to sway me. It’s amazing it still comes up. We really shouldn’t judge players by body language.

Darren Anderton, Brett Pitman, Philip Billing…

I very much disagree and said as such at the time.

And the old body language argument isn’t going to do much to sway me. It’s amazing it still comes up. We really shouldn’t judge players by body language.

Darren Anderton, Brett Pitman, Philip Billing…
Fair enough. Having spent a fortune on terrible performances that season at home and away, I respectfully disagree.

Fair enough. Having spent a fortune on terrible performances that season at home and away, I respectfully disagree.

Not sure what point you’re trying to make here, most of us spend a fortune going to games... We’re still capable of coming to a different opinion or conclusion.

I believe that Dom will go in the summer. The speculation is far too rife to be ignored. A more important issue is who do we replace him with. We have to bear in mind that we cannot afford to buy the ready made 'off the shelf' PL striker. We buy players that we can develop, as we did with Solanke. The problem is that while a new striker is being developed and the time it takes, we will be losing football matches as a result.

Place your bids.

'Worn on Feb 1st 2024'
'This shirt is unwashed'

Blimey. Pongo!

I believe that Dom will go in the summer. The speculation is far too rife to be ignored. A more important issue is who do we replace him with. We have to bear in mind that we cannot afford to buy the ready made 'off the shelf' PL striker. We buy players that we can develop, as we did with Solanke. The problem is that while a new striker is being developed and the time it takes, we will be losing football matches as a result.

with your extensive scouting knowledge and experience, not to mention your near-clairvoyant ability to predict the outcome of games, you'll be able to rustle up any number of suitable replacements for franno's consideration

;