Dominic Solanke

As an aside, Lys Mousset's career has come to a halt if Wikipedia is to be believed -
'On 9 January 2024, Mousset's contract with Bochum was terminated by mutual consent.'

Shame really.

As an aside, Lys Mousset's career has come to a halt if Wikipedia is to be believed -
'On 9 January 2024, Mousset's contract with Bochum was terminated by mutual consent.'

Shame really.
Well I guess there is only one way to settle it. Get him back here

Well sure, but we’re now allowing to count Mousset’s tally over 4 years whilst we draw a line at Solanke after 6 months…
‘Allowed’? Look the last person that wants to drag up old arguments is me! We let a striker go that looked like he had the odd goal in him for one that didn’t. I made that point at the time he left so clearly when he’d had some good games and scored 6 vital goals and the player we’d kept hadn’t scored at all it was going to get mentioned.

Thats the context it was being discussed in, as part of the reason we got relegated as we had no goal threat on the bench - something we’d had in all the other seasons.

None of this was Doms fault he was late developing and finally 4 years later he has beaten Moussets best goal tally in the top flight. This season you’d have Dom on one leg over Lys but that’s now and that was then!

We ended up with a younger guy with a 100 times better attitude.
Agreed. But one that didn’t score until near the end of the 35th game of a 38 game relegation season. Eddie may well have been correct in letting Defoe and Mousset go as he was seeing them in training every week. That’s not the issue. The issue was letting them go and thinking Dom was the answer in getting goals… at that time! We needed another one of them or an Afobe or Murray…

‘Allowed’? Look the last person that wants to drag up old arguments is me! We let a striker go that looked like he had the odd goal in him for one that didn’t. I made that point at the time he left so clearly when he’d had some good games and scored 6 vital goals and the player we’d kept hadn’t scored at all it was going to get mentioned.

Thats the context it was being discussed in, as part of the reason we got relegated as we had no goal threat on the bench - something we’d had in all the other seasons.

None of this was Doms fault he was late developing and finally 4 years later he has beaten Moussets best goal tally in the top flight. This season you’d have Dom on one leg over Lys but that’s now and that was then!

Fancy picking the 'Lys Mousset was a better option than Solanke' argument as a hill to die on.

Mousset left for £10m after doing not much of note in an AFCB shirt. The following season he scored six goals in a side that finished top half and Dom scored three in a side that were abject and got relegated. Proven PL strikers such as Calum Wilson and Josh King also struggled as did all our midfielders. You judged Solanke on that. I argued that he was better than you gave him credit for. Time has proven you spectacularly wrong on both players yet here you are still trying to defend the indefensible.

You've even got the front to bring up the time when you came on here specifically to gloat about how terrible Dom Solanke was after the palace game. Shameful.

Reactions: DJ
Agreed. But one that didn’t score until near the end of the 35th game of a 38 game relegation season. Eddie may well have been correct in letting Defoe and Mousset go as he was seeing them in training every week. That’s not the issue. The issue was letting them go and thinking Dom was the answer in getting goals… at that time! We needed another one of them or an Afobe or Murray…
So you think we should have kept a striker who averaged 1 goal a season, on the off chance his 1 goal would have kept us up. Not taking the £10m on offer?

So you think we should have kept a striker who averaged 1 goal a season, on the off chance his 1 goal would have kept us up. Not taking the £10m on offer?

That's only half the story. We also should have not signed the best striker we've ever had in case he took a bit of time to settled despite having two proven PL goalscorers on the books.

Dickhead. I've never said he wasn't fit to wear the shirt but sensationalise your post as you wish. Just makes you a .....see first word.
Maybe not, but you have said things like......(shamelessly uses 'Search' feature using 'Donkey' as keyword)...

"The donkey....what can I say? Dreadful. Absolutely dreadful. I seriously hope that we are not going to be depending on this Muppet for goals next season. He just doesn't know what to do with the ball."

I don’t understand, so if we’d have kept Mousett and never signed Solanke then we wouldn’t have been relegated?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone anywhere ever try to argue that their club got relegated because their third choice striker didn’t score enough goals, we don’t even have a third choice striker this season! It’s a very strange view point to say the least.

I don’t understand, so if we’d have kept Mousett and never signed Solanke then we wouldn’t have been relegated?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone anywhere ever try to argue that their club got relegated because their third choice striker didn’t score enough goals, we don’t even have a third choice striker this season! It’s a very strange view point to say the least.
We’d always had a third goal option until that last season. We didn’t have one then until the 35th game by which point we were doomed. It’s not difficult to understand not a strange view.

Either kept him, as he went on to score six the next year so had something Dom didn’t at that time or…. Replaced him with someone else who could get goals off the bench.

Maybe not, but you have said things like......(shamelessly uses 'Search' feature using 'Donkey' as keyword)...

"The donkey....what can I say? Dreadful. Absolutely dreadful. I seriously hope that we are not going to be depending on this Muppet for goals next season. He just doesn't know what to do with the ball."
And where does it say ! Not fit to wear the shirt'? . Happy to be quoted on anything I've said if I've actually said it about a certain player. There's no need to make stuff up.
I still stand by the fact that Solanke is an average premier league striker. If we can get £40m + i'd take it. We should be aiming for better if we want to continue to improve in this league.

We’d always had a third goal option until that last season. We didn’t have one then until the 35th game by which point we were doomed. It’s not difficult to understand not a strange view.
Our third choice strikers in various seasons-

Glenn Murray- 4 goals
Jermaine Defoe- 4 goals
Mousette- 3 goals
Solanke- 3 goals

So your argument is that because Solanke’s goals came late in the season that they were less valuable? I don’t know if you’re talking about a different season, but I don’t remember us being doomed. I remember us still being right in the fight up until the last game of the season, had Villa lost at West Ham we would have stayed up. What you’re trying to argue just doesn’t really make sense.

;