Dominic Solanke

I've sort of lost the plot/interest on this thread. Two years in the Championship cost us £300 million (wasn't it £200 million last night). Even though because of parachute payments, a shaved Gibbon in a track suit could have got us promoted with all that extra money we were given : )

Last season, we were told the backbone of the side was still players Eddie signed and they were carrying the others. So Eddie was responsible for signing Mousset, Ibe and Solanke when we were relegated. Does that make him good or bad?

For the record, Eddie was flipping outstanding here but I consider he was burnt out in that last season and if he had stayed on, I dread to think what effect it would have had on him and his family.

Some threads go round and round in circles then disappear, this one has got a twist. Like a Mobius loop, you can follow it around but you end up back where you started and none the wiser : )

I've sort of lost the plot/interest on this thread. Two years in the Championship cost us £300 million (wasn't it £200 million last night). Even though because of parachute payments, a shaved Gibbon in a track suit could have got us promoted with all that extra money we were given : )

Last season, we were told the backbone of the side was still players Eddie signed and they were carrying the others. So Eddie was responsible for signing Mousset, Ibe and Solanke when we were relegated. Does that make him good or bad?

For the record, Eddie was flipping outstanding here but I consider he was burnt out in that last season and if he had stayed on, I dread to think what effect it would have had on him and his family.

Some threads go round and round in circles then disappear, this one has got a twist. Like a Mobius loop, you can follow it around but you end up back where you started and none the wiser : )
Wonderful post ! Loved it Mr T !

I honestly don’t know where the argument is at. The signing of Solanke and the release of Mousset is the cause for our relegation. And yet Solanke was integral to our promotion and where we are now. it’s kind of agreed that Mousset would not have got us where we are at now because of how things have panned out for him. So what are we arguing about? Relegation? But look where we are at now, so yes hindsight etc etc, aren’t we where we want to be with Solanke? So who cares about opinions in 2019. Whoever said it was a bad decision then is wrong, right?

I honestly don’t know where the argument is at. The signing of Solanke and the release of Mousset is the cause for our relegation. And yet Solanke was integral to our promotion and where we are now. it’s kind of agreed that Mousset would not have got us where we are at now because of how things have panned out for him. So what are we arguing about? Relegation? But look where we are at now, so yes hindsight etc etc, aren’t we where we want to be with Solanke? So who cares about opinions in 2019. Whoever said it was a bad decision then is wrong, right?

Yes, you are right, but there's one person who won't accept it.

This is the hard thing about when people bring up 5 year old arguments, I shouldn’t have bit and this will be my last post on it then I’m done with this thread!

This was a moment in time thing. It was 2019 we had three back up strikers in 2018, we’d sold two and kept one. The two we sold were far from world beaters but could grab a goal and were continuing to do so at their new clubs. The one we kept had never scored for the club and still hadn’t at the time of the argument and was missing chance after chance when coming on. The team was in the relegation zone and eventually got relegated. Anyone looking at this from any other context isn’t in the spirit of the argument as it happens so will find it odd.

I thought we should have kept one of the back ups or signed someone else and not relied on Dom who was still raw and learning. Let him learn without the pressure of having to win football games. Loan him out to the championship maybe to gain confidence of scoring. The obvious one to keep was the bloke who was playing well and scoring in the league we were in.

We relied on Dom, didn’t take some crucial chances and it was one of several reasons all of which were also discussed at the time, we got relegated.

This was never about what Dom would go on to be, what Lys would go on to be, whether we should have signed Dom etc. This was about squad balance and need in a relegation season. The move from five strikers to three.

Yes we came back to the league after two championships seasons and yes Dom was a big part of that. No fan though looks at a relegation season as anything other than ‘what do we need to do to stay up’. No fan on any forum is saying, ‘it’s cool, let’s go down for a couple years sell our best players and come back’. That was no different back in 2019 on here and there were many other people questioning Dom at that time.

Anyway. In the words of our fave poster I bid you a good day on this topic!

This flogged dead horse appears to have an infinite number of legs to keep on running.

So just to catch up, we’re still allowing a timeframe of 4 years to look at Mousset’s goal return, including a year after he left to say he was a better prospect for the relegation season.

But we’re only allowed to use the time period where Solanke didn’t score to compare? Can’t use his golden boot at England youth level? Or the three open play goals (more than anyone else) during the actual season in question…unless we then use the Championship seasons to bemoan his lack of goals in the top flight for those 2 years as well.

Got it. All makes sense now. Come back Lys. There’s a Lamborghini sponsorship waiting for you to sign.

This flogged dead horse appears to have an infinite number of legs to keep on running.

So just to catch up, we’re still allowing a timeframe of 4 years to look at Mousset’s goal return, including a year after he left to say he was a better prospect for the relegation season.

But we’re only allowed to use the time period where Solanke didn’t score to compare? Can’t use his golden boot at England youth level? Or the three open play goals (more than anyone else) during the actual season in question…unless we then use the Championship seasons to bemoan his lack of goals in the top flight for those 2 years as well.

Got it. All makes sense now. Come back Lys. There’s a Lamborghini sponsorship waiting for you to sign.

Perhaps Lamborghni want Ibe back as part of the package too ;)

This is the hard thing about when people bring up 5 year old arguments, I shouldn’t have bit and this will be my last post on it then I’m done with this thread!

This was a moment in time thing. It was 2019 we had three back up strikers in 2018, we’d sold two and kept one. The two we sold were far from world beaters but could grab a goal and were continuing to do so at their new clubs. The one we kept had never scored for the club and still hadn’t at the time of the argument and was missing chance after chance when coming on. The team was in the relegation zone and eventually got relegated. Anyone looking at this from any other context isn’t in the spirit of the argument as it happens so will find it odd.

I thought we should have kept one of the back ups or signed someone else and not relied on Dom who was still raw and learning. Let him learn without the pressure of having to win football games. Loan him out to the championship maybe to gain confidence of scoring. The obvious one to keep was the bloke who was playing well and scoring in the league we were in.

We relied on Dom, didn’t take some crucial chances and it was one of several reasons all of which were also discussed at the time, we got relegated.

This was never about what Dom would go on to be, what Lys would go on to be, whether we should have signed Dom etc. This was about squad balance and need in a relegation season. The move from five strikers to three.

Yes we came back to the league after two championships seasons and yes Dom was a big part of that. No fan though looks at a relegation season as anything other than ‘what do we need to do to stay up’. No fan on any forum is saying, ‘it’s cool, let’s go down for a couple years sell our best players and come back’. That was no different back in 2019 on here and there were many other people questioning Dom at that time.

If only there was a way to go back to 2019 and read the thoughts at that time of Dominic Solanke…

I’ve had a scan through, there was no comments on dropping down from 5 strikers to 3, because it was evident that Solanke was coming in to replace Mousset whilst Defoe was off on loan to Rangers having played 22 minutes through the first half of the season.

Ironically, your contribution was to actually say Solanke looks like a good signing.

You’ve got your timelines muddled I’m afraid.

Ironically, your contribution was to actually say Solanke looks like a good signing.
Never thought otherwise. It wasn’t the debate. We should have loaned him out to the championship as he was clearly one for the future had a n other striker as back up.

Never thought otherwise. It wasn’t the debate. We should have loaned him out to the championship as he was clearly one for the future had a n other striker as back up.

No way we were going to loan out a 20 mill striker... particularly back then.

Dom was... is... a quality signing.

Clearly had pedigree. Maybe he started more in 2nd season with us, but recall him coming on as sub an awful lot.

Difficult to get momentum/foothold when playing as sub for struggling team.

We signed, Mousset, Murray, Defoe - all were mediocre for us overall.

Its the approach we should be taking imo. Signing high quality young players. It may take some a big longer than others, but its always difficult to predict how quicly a player can step... even those more experienced names, didnt really do much.

Its the approach I like anways. But cant always guarentee they'll be immediate impact.

Come on, that’s not realistic and not a view anyone held “at that time”.

No way we were going to loan out a 20 mill striker... particularly back then.

Dom was... is... a quality signing.

Clearly had pedigree. Maybe he started more in 2nd season with us, but recall him coming on as sub an awful lot.

Difficult to get momentum/foothold when playing as sub for struggling team.

We signed, Mousset, Murray, Defoe - all were mediocre for us overall.

Its the approach we should be taking imo. Signing high quality young players. It may take some a big longer than others, but its always difficult to predict how quicly a player can step... even those more experienced names, didnt really do much.

Its the approach I like anways. But cant always guarentee they'll be immediate impact.
But apparently if we'd kept Mousset we wouldn't have got relegated, his one goal a season would have kept us up.

Does anyone on this entire website believe that Neil was actually making some convoluted point about what we needed in the moment or was he just saying he thought Solanke was crap?

He went on and on about it for that entire period as he does, it's there in this thread for all to read.

That flounce didn’t last long. ;-)

Was thinking when post went up re bowing out. Recall numerous times Neil bowed out on threads, and within minutes was posting something elsedidn't want to say anything in case it spoilt the fun...

All in good jest. Keep momentum going Neil!

;