Down with Eddie....or.....??

I caught a bit of 606 and they seemed to be really pushing for someone to ring in and say 'sack Eddie.' Fair play to the two guys who rang in while I was listening and both said he should stay...seemed to annoy and confuse the pundits though...how dare we break from the perceived narrative! Isn't the Premiership everything!?

I was there in League 2 and I will be there if we end up back down there but I believe Eddie will turn it around!

If we did get relegated nobody would be better placed to attack the Championship than Howe. We've for years gone on about how long Howe would stick with us before moving on, well despite his flaws we need to stick with him now.

My main concern if we do go down is losing players such as Ake and Cook who I don’t think would stay in the Championship.

Sack Eddie because we were beaten by Salah, Coutinho and co? Liverpool were much better than us on the day. I don't like how the media keep looking for the next manager to sack. I hope we don't become a revolving door club with Moyes/Allardyce/Pardew/Hughes replacing each other every year or so. No thanks.

Eddie will turn it around.

We won’t become a revolving door club.

The owners and the fans want him to stay. If either didn’t it would be more likely but you have a big step from the current position to both sets wanting him to leave.

He will be here in August I would put my mortgage on it.

I think many 'older' fans wouldn't mind too much if we went down, many of us would stick around even if we went back to League Two. But I really want us to keep this impetus up and grab the newer fans for as long as possible. Especially the kids/teenagers who now wear our shirts and are the best bet for long term security of the club. I think the new stadium is needed to keep everyone for the long term, so how would relegation affect this? I know the talk is that the stadium doesn't depend on whether we stay up or not but....do we believe it?

How will the likes of Max and the especially, the Americans, view relegation? Everything is geared towards us staying as this level for the next few years at least. So it's interesting to think about whether we could all accept going down if it meant keeping Eddie and then hopefully coming back up. Burnley went down, kept Dyche and look at them now....but no guarantees of course.

Ever Hopeful - the thread isn't really about sacking Eddie to be fair. It was whether we would accept relegation if we kept Eddie, or if people would rather stay up if it meant someone new coming in.

DJ - 18/12/2017 06:44

Another manager couldn't get more out of the likes of Francis, Cook, Daniels, Arter, Surman, Gosling, Pugh etc so a change wouldn't suit us short term.

While this is a fair point it ignores the fact that another manager wouldn’t have Pugh, Gosling, Surman and maybe Franno in a Premier League squad. They would have done something about it with the 300m they had received over five windows, probably with a recruitment team that weren’t all at their wedding. The whole reason we are having this discussion is poor recruitment allied this season to poor tactics and motivation of key players.

...I think that we are all trying to over analyse things at the moment..so I will continue!!

there was always going to be a time to look at the loyal club servants who Eddie has absolutely got the maximum from. The likes of Francis, Pugh, Daniels, Arter, Surman, Steve Cook, and Adam Smith are perfect examples.

Also some signings in Ibe, Grabban, and Brad Smith haven't delivered as Eddie might have expected them to by now?

Chuck in the big name signings of Begovic, Defoe, Lewis Cook and Ake (all of whom have added something IMO)

align then Afobe, Wilson, Gosling, Stanislas, Mousset, Hyndman, Mahoney, and Fraser who still merit some development time IMO

The balance of our squad then looks short of the required quality if you extract the first grouping..

Eddie has a good challenge on his hands to formulate the next phase in our future!!

Neil, please can you demonstrate our 'poor recruitment' by comparing other clubs signings and those that have/havent made it. That would help me see if you have a basis for your argument or are just repeating something so many times that people will eventually believe it.

Thanks.

I’m sorry Rob...I can’t be arsed to list all our failed signings...or Burnley’s successful ones. Just mentally go through the lists in your head if you can.

The reason is I don’t really mean this when I talk about failed recruitment...every team has its successes and failings in this department as you and others keep pointing out. I do think we have more failures than most but that’s not my primary concern.

My concern is we don’t target the right areas...no holding midfielders, no number tens...no players that can break the lines of a 4-4-2. No commanding centre backs, no right back cover, no plan B striker. We all can identify the need for these and talk about them on here constantly. All commentators talk about it, ex managers analyse it. The only people that don’t are a few on here who still get a wet dream every morning because we are not playing Port Vale.

That’s the nub of our recruitment problem....not Iturbe, Tomlin, Atsu, Murray, Wiggins, Grabban, Ibe, Gradel etc etc..

SlowDownDerek - 18/12/2017 13:39

Burnley have loads of Pugh, Gosling and Surman type players.

The difference being: 1) a style of play that asks less of their level of talent, 2) a formation that gets the best out of them and 3) bags upon bags of confidence.

You say you don't mean it but you clearly do. I only asked you to back up your theory, but got the usual list of names.

ps. I quite like Burslem!

And also...if we are to be honest... Cork, Hendricks and Defour are all way ahead of Surman and Gosling...Brady is better than Pugh...

SDD? Or am I wrong?

RobTrent - 18/12/2017 13:42

You say you don't mean it but you clearly do. I only asked you to back up your theory, but got the usual list of names.

ps. I quite like Burslem!

It’s secondary Rob...to identifying where we need players...but it is also still crap.

Burslem....I had a bad hangover there once after a student party many moons ago. Went to chemist to get some tablets, thought blimey it’s busy today....turned out I was the only person not getting methadone!

northstandmark - 18/12/2017 13:41

SlowDownDerek - 18/12/2017 13:39

Burnley have loads of Pugh, Gosling and Surman type players.

The difference being: 1) a style of play that asks less of their level of talent, 2) a formation that gets the best out of them and 3) bags upon bags of confidence.

Sure, but then the problem is tactics isn't it?

All of our versions of those players have performed well in the last two seasons. They weren't singled out as not good enough at level when they were good enough at this level - kind of defeats the argument.

If they are no longer good enough then sure they should have been replaced before this became an issue but Neil is revising history by saying these players aren't good enough at this level.

Neil Dawson - 18/12/2017 13:43

And also...if we are to be honest... Cork, Hendricks and Defour are all way ahead of Surman and Gosling...Brady is better than Pugh...

SDD? Or am I wrong?

I was worried about strength in depth in midfield before the season and would have liked someone like Jack Cork to add experience. He's not way ahead of Surman in my view. Lewis Cook is a better signing than Hendrick.

Personally I think all this failed transfer policy argument boils down to the failure of Jordon Ibe to make any impact so far.

;