Eddie Howe - AFCB - Newcastle United

Yeah, they did and it won't matter one bit to a Leicester fan as it wouldn't to me if we ever won it. If anything knowing the odds were nigh impossible makes it all the sweeter.

It's just every time it's discussed how the Premier League is a closed shop* someone will pipe up with the Leicester example but only 7 teams have won the Premier League and only 4 have won it more than once. Only 11 sides have qualified for the Champions League of which 6 teams have qualified more than 5 times.

Manchester United - 22 times
Chelsea - 21 times
Arsenal - 19 times
Liverpool - 16 times
Tottenham Hotspur - 8 times
Manchester City - 7 times

Frankly, if Eddie is able to get Newcastle to finish in the top 4 then I'd say it's a greater achievement than Leicester winning it that time.

* Unless you have literally billions to 'invest'
I know it's all about opinions.....but are you serious??....Newcastle to finish in the top 4 is a greater achievement than Leicester winning it ??.....the mind boggles

If he does, someone will come along and say "Yeah but at least 3 of the Big Six underperformed " : )

To be fair it's still early days but Liverpool and Chelsea are potentially fitting the bill for two of those!

I know it's all about opinions.....but are you serious??....Newcastle to finish in the top 4 is a greater achievement than Leicester winning it ??.....the mind boggles

From relegation position last season to top 4 this season with City as strong as ever, Arsenal on fire, Man United on a surge. It does depend on Spurs, Chelsea, or Liverpool to actually find form to make the 4th spot a real challenge but I'd expect one of them to do it.

This is with a team where a 32-year-old Trippier is probably the best player. A far cry from the likes of Kante, Mahrez, and even (at the time) Maguire and Vardy.

From relegation position last season to top 4 this season with City as strong as ever, Arsenal on fire, Man United on a surge. It does depend on Spurs, Chelsea, or Liverpool to actually find form to make the 4th spot a real challenge but I'd expect one of them to do it.

This is with a team where a 32-year-old Trippier is probably the best player. A far cry from the likes of Kante, Mahrez, and even (at the time) Maguire and Vardy.

This is crazy. Newcastle finishing in the top four barely raises an eyebrow given their new ownership. Leicester were 5,000/1 and they won the league FFS.

Just checked and Newcastle were apparently 8/1 to finish in the top four at the start of the season.

Last edited:
Mahrez, Vardy, Kante weren't 'star players' before leicester's title wining season

Pretty much all that Leicester squad under a certain age was snapped up over the next couple of years and played important parts for their new teams. I can't imagine that would be on 'star player' status alone.

By comparison how many Newcastle players will be drawing scouts from Chelsea and Man City?

Pretty much all that Leicester squad under a certain age was snapped up over the next couple of years and played important parts for their new teams. I can't imagine that would be on 'star player' status alone.

By comparison how many Newcastle players will be drawing scouts from Chelsea and Man City?

Crazy crazy logic.

Leicester assembled the team on the cheap, Mahrez was £500k, Vardy £1m, etc. This is why winning the league was such a massive shock and a huge achievement that dwarfs pretty much any other achievement in football. They lost all of those players because they don't have the financial muscle of the bigger teams, which again, is a sign of how big an achievement it was.

Teams are much less likely to sign Newcastle's best players because their owner has enough money to tell them to piss off and pay them enough so they don't want to leave. Again, one of the reasons that Newcastle reaching the top four doesn't register on the scale of Leicester's achievement.

I think you need to go back to your history books. Their second season back in the top flight after years outside. No different to Forest and in an era where the financial odds were massively stacked against them. It's at least as impressive as Forest's achievements. Leaguewise at least.
I think you need to go back to reality. Leicester won the league in the year we came up. Would you have been more or less surprised had we won it?

Then reference this back to Notts Forest.

Looking at the Leicester situation they finished 14 in 2014/15 - 6 points clear of the drop. However the situation at the half way stage that season was dire - they had just 10 points from 18 games and were nailed on to go down. It was a remarkable turn round by Pearson to keep them up. To then win the league by 10 points the following season was incredible.
they couldn't beat us though when they won the league - 2 draws !!!!!!

I think you need to go back to reality. Leicester won the league in the year we came up. Would you have been more or less surprised had we won it?

Then reference this back to Notts Forest.

They'd only just come up the previous year and struggled badly. I suspect we were both 5,000/1, I suppose we could have been double their odds at a push but either way they are both in the 'never going to happen' category.

Anyway, wasn't the comparison with forest who came up and won the league in the 70s before all the money made this seemingly impossible.

Talking of Leicester City and their title winning season under Claudio Ranieri, it was our first season in the Premier League.

But going back a season and to our Championship winning season under Eddie, in the Premier League at Leicester City with 9 games to go they were rock bottom on 19 points and 7 points away from 17th place.

But those last 9 games produced 7 wins and a draw with Leicester City finishing 14th with 41 points, 6 points clear of the relegation spot.

This set the foundations for the next season title win and that was down to the now Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson who was sacked by Leicester City for reasons well documented at the time.

Edit: I see Red Harry has posted similar above.

Looking at the Leicester situation they finished 14 in 2014/15 - 6 points clear of the drop. However the situation at the half way stage that season was dire - they had just 10 points from 18 games and were nailed on to go down. It was a remarkable turn round by Pearson to keep them up. To then win the league by 10 points the following season was incredible.

They also sacked Pearson in the meantime and had to replace him with a guy who hadn't done much in his previous stint in the PL.

A nail biting end to the away game, think we had 10 men. Was franno sent off?

Corals make us 6-1, the draw @ 3s, away win 1-2
Newcastle have only lost once from 21 games, but drawn 10 and like low scoring games.

As with our team under Eddie, Newcastle are usually quick out the blocks in both halves, first 15 of both will be critical. They also like a goal from a set piece. So we need to defend and nick a goal, but so far GON hasn't been able to get our team to pat our head and rub our bellies at the same time

I think we will beat them.
With the pressure clearly mounting on GO and with our new attacking players slowly bedding in, I wouldn't rule it out.

But if we end up with eleven men behind the ball on 80 minutes, trying to hang on for a point, I reserve the right to totally lose my sh*t !!!

Keep at them, keep them preoccupied, don't make their lives too easy !
:utc:

;