England Squad

We had also had a fecking disastrous euro 88 in Germany .beaten by all three teams in the group stage …I went home after losing to Republic of Ireland and Holland
Was in Stuttgart for the Ireland game too, with an Interrail pass intending on following England through the whole thing but gave up after that and went off to Greece instead.

England did, Holland did not - as I said.

I was 10 years old and remember it well. England did well and it was great despite all the shite that the press and half the fans gave Robson. Similar to Southgate tbf.
Rubbish, the fans fully supported the squad and the manager, the only time in my lifetime that the whole country was united

Rubbish, the fans fully supported the squad and the manager, the only time in my lifetime that the whole country was united
I think the whole of England are usually united when it comes to expectations.

Since I was a kid, England fans are very united in hope.

It's the media bullshit and the rubbish managers who disappoint.

Today in the paper, Maguire said 'were ready to win'

For fcks sake if we haven't heard that every tournament since 1966.

English players have enough about them to win a tournament.

But you'd need a left side manager to achieve it.

Really wouldn't surprise me if AI was considered at some stage.

Woodgate played internationals like Gary O'Neil plays club football.

10 men behind the ball and hope your forwards will score on the break.

Would live to see Andoni put 3 at the back and push everyone forward in the hope of a win at international level

It's what football needs.

Don’t really know what more Southgate could have done in his tenure other than win something. We’ve played a “tournament” style of football mostly, but the camp has had next to no drama or issues. He speaks well. And often, to go against the grain, I think we actually play a very good style of football when it gets going. Winning tournaments is incredibly hard.

I think our squad of players, as it always is, is overrated. World class depth in attack, but CB and CM are pretty wonky. Compare that to France or even Brazil, where you have this kind of depth in every position, and it’s not like we’re the best team in the world really. In the conversation, sure. In the conversation gets you SFs and Finals; or you get knocked out by France unluckily (the actual best team in the world). His only real misstep was the Euros final, against a very average Italy really.

He's too conservative.

The most boring England manager ever to walk the face of the earth.
It's like Graham Taylor didn't get the job after Robson.

Football far better under Southgate than that fortunately shirt lived period, and if we'd lost to Italy while trying to win he wouldn't be getting so much grief now - although he always has been too defensive against top sides.

He has his limitations. Like perfecting one formation and one system that would only ever get us so far. As soon as change was needed we couldn’t do it as we were so one dimensional and that’s how his first tournament ended.

But there was progress, that can’t be denied and we got further than we ever did in my lifetime in tournaments.

I guess it goes back to the whole argument of whether you want attacking exciting football to watch each week or if you’re results driven.

For England in tournaments, it’s all about results and so he has to be seen as somewhat successful as he’s achieved more than anyone else post 1966.

Was there the potential to do more? Probably, but that’s always been the case with all the managers that came before him.

He has his limitations. Like perfecting one formation and one system that would only ever get us so far. As soon as change was needed we couldn’t do it as we were so one dimensional and that’s how his first tournament ended.

But there was progress, that can’t be denied and we got further than we ever did in my lifetime in tournaments.

I guess it goes back to the whole argument of whether you want attacking exciting football to watch each week or if you’re results driven.

For England in tournaments, it’s all about results and so he has to be seen as somewhat successful as he’s achieved more than anyone else post 1966.

Was there the potential to do more? Probably, but that’s always been the case with all the managers that came before him.

Imo his performances have deserved another crack at winning and if that doesn't happen I doubt he'll survive much longer. He definitely doesn't deserve all of the grief he gets but that's just half of England's fans all over. Entitled and deluded.

Imo his performances have deserved another crack at winning and if that doesn't happen I doubt he'll survive much longer. He definitely doesn't deserve all of the grief he gets but that's just half of England's fans all over. Entitled and deluded.

Very fine margins isn't there when best sides meet in latter stages of tournament football. If it was played over 20 games in league format we'd likeky come 2nd or win it imo. Over 1 game, so much can happen to effect outcome...

France didn't look better than us at all.

hope hes learnt from Itaky and Croatia and we don't adopt 'sit back' mentality again shoukd we find ourselves in simikar situation this tournament.

Otherwise it seems very GON V AI situation.AI would not adopt that approach, neither would others. Its not about being gung ho at all times, there's s time for being a littke more 'pragmatic'. If yku go very attacking all the time, may find ourselves being picked off more easily by the stronger nations.

I firmly believe the international scene will be dominated by us and france over the next few tournaments. Wealth of young players already playing at international level and coming through now for both nations, seem much better than other countries.

Argies for example had one of their weakest squads in decades in my opinion, but mentality wad spot on plus messi still playing and really up for finally winning something. He's gone now of course abd I don't forsee them causing us problems tbh, assuming we comtinue on trajectory, manager gets players minds in right place and doesnt adopt wrong approsch, tactically.

Is it 'entitled' to want your national team to play some attractive football and not bore you to death. Is it 'entitled' to hope that the manager doesn't play 8 defenders, even against lowly opposition? No !!

As for 'deluded', GS ain't winning anything, not ever, not no how !!

Is it 'entitled' to want your national team to play some attractive football and not bore you to death. Is it 'entitled' to hope that the manager doesn't play 8 defenders, even against lowly opposition? No !!

As for 'deluded', GS ain't winning anything, not ever, not no how !!

No, if you're expecting successful and attractive football from England after watching them for the last five decades that comes under the deluded part.

No, if you're expecting successful and attractive football from England after watching them for the last five decades that comes under the deluded part.
Your ability to deliberatley misread other posters in astonishing. If you've never seen England play attractive football, that's up to you. But why would you defend the type of dross GS serves up.? I have never, ever seen England football be SO dour and dismal in all my life.

Your ability to deliberatley misread other posters in astonishing. If you've never seen England play attractive football, that's up to you. But why would you defend the type of dross GS serves up.? I have never, ever seen England football be SO dour and dismal in all my life.

Two reasons really. Firstly style of football is not important at international level. None times out of ten you play against ten men behind the ball and it's dross.

Secondly people like you have been moaning about how boring England are for decades on end. We've been through the actual performances during these so called glory days and they were bang average. England went for it against France and got beat - and people like you still moan. You deserve what you get.

Southgate has got his tournaments figured out. better managers than him have failed at getting England set for a tournament. You don't play the opposition you play the tournament and the number of games and the space between games. So Southgate has figured out a way to win games, and advance in tournaments and take care of the players. You can't play PL pace for 2,3, 4 games in a week period. You have to be sensible about it

Sure there have been better managers, more exciting football, but sorry, Southgate is by far the most successful** manager since Ramsey

**Success defined as tournament progress

;