England Squad

Italia 90 we lost the champions, Euro 96 we lost to champions, 2002 we lost to the champions brazil who were a great team madness to say they weren't.

Well done Gareth you lost to the champions in Euro 2020 against Italy and we were hanging on for dear life in ET for pens against an aging team it was that cowardly.

In Italia 90 we did draw in group stage with Ireland and Holland, but were the only team in group who won a game which was against Egypt. We then beat Belgium and a spirited Cameroon after trailing 2-1 to win 3-2 with couple Lineker pens. We lost in semi's to a German machine on pens. I imagine people look more fondly at Italia 90 because we had a legendary and loveable manager in Sir Bobby rather than Gareth Wokegate when we got to a semi and lost to Croatia.
Believe me he wasn’t legendary and lovable ( apart from teams he managed ) until after the WC..He got wayyyy more sh*t than Southgate would ever be able to handle .

England played against Ireland in the first game. A huge game at the time and a virtual derby after euro 88 then Netherlands who were euro champions. Belgium next who were in the semi finals 4 years earlier. Cameroon who were flying then West Germany

Why make excuses for England back then and not now? They got knocked out by the first good team they faced. Holland were the only good team on paper yet they couldn't beat Ireland or Egypt and England scraped a 0-0 against them. Yet Southgate is some sort of scumbag because he's got them further than anyone else?

Yeah, other than the Holland game it was bang average even if we all remember it fondly. Same goes for 1990 and 1998.

I honestly don't know why Southgate gets held to a higher standard than other managers. In fact I do, he is the current manager so people slag him off because that's what they do with England managers. They did it with Robson, Venables and Hoddle too because that's what England fans do.

In Italia 90 we did draw in group stage with Ireland and Holland, but were the only team in group who won a game which was against Egypt. We then beat Belgium and a spirited Cameroon after trailing 2-1 to win 3-2 with couple Lineker pens. We lost in semi's to a German machine on pens. I imagine people look more fondly at Italia 90 because we had a legendary and loveable manager in Sir Bobby rather than Gareth Wokegate when we got to a semi and lost to Croatia.
The draws against
Believe me he wasn’t legendary and lovable ( apart from teams he managed ) until after the WC..He got wayyyy more sh*t than Southgate would ever be able to handle .
He got more crap from the media than any England manager of my lifetime

Why make excuses for England back then and not now? They got knocked out by the first good team they faced. Holland were the only good team on paper yet they couldn't beat Ireland or Egypt and England scraped a 0-0 against them. Yet Southgate is some sort of scumbag because he's got them further than anyone else?
Beat Egypt

You don’t remember that tournament do you?

Didn't Scotland beat us 0-0 in group stage? Then we beat Ukraine, Germany and Denmark for a place in the final, if the golden gen had that draw phuck me!

Not sure what SDD is arguing about today, but Sothgate really has been underwhelming and boring.

Bring on the next manager.

Andoni for England manager one day.

We had also had a fecking disastrous euro 88 in Germany .beaten by all three teams in the group stage …I went home after losing to Republic of Ireland and Holland

Italia 90 we lost the champions, Euro 96 we lost to champions, 2002 we lost to the champions brazil who were a great team madness to say they weren't.

Well done Gareth you lost to the champions in Euro 2020 against Italy and we were hanging on for dear life in ET for pens against an aging team it was that cowardly.
And the Italians were there for the taking after we scored so early, they were completely rattled and we were outplaying them only for borgate to put the breaks on.

Presumably you didn't cheer when the beat Germany and got the the final then? You must hark back to the glory days when they didn't qualify, get out of groups, win knock out games and get to semi finals and finals then.

Personally I don't care who the manager is I just want the team to do well. As I've said it doesn't need a brilliant manager it just needs someone to do that basics and take the pressure off the players and Southgate has managed to do that better than most.
No, I didn't. Football is entertainment, first and foremost. Winning is nothing if you aren't the best and you don't win with flair. So no, I haven't cheered England for years. Watching England under GS is like watching grass grow, so dull it makes you wonder why the game was invented at all. GS is anti-football in a nutshell and I will resist it with every fibre of my being. It matters not that he is English. He needs to go and until he does I will not even consider watching or following the national team. My patriotism to football trumps my patriotism.

In defence of Bobby the Euro's were viewed very different as tournament back then. The WC was the pinnacle focus, Euro 96 was the first proper Euro tournament when they changed format to twice as many teams.
Bobby was cheated in 86 and beaten by a German machine on pens in 1990.

Last edited:
Terry was good manager, I was disappointed how little coverage was made of his passing because Euro 96 was a special tournament, we could've got Czech Rep in Semi's but got the German machine and lost on pens.
I consider Terry to be the best England manager in my lifetime. I was born in 1971.

Yeah, other than the Holland game it was bang average even if we all remember it fondly. Same goes for 1990 and 1998.

I honestly don't know why Southgate gets held to a higher standard than other managers. In fact I do, he is the current manager so people slag him off because that's what they do with England managers. They did it with Robson, Venables and Hoddle too because that's what England fans do.
This is utter garbage !! People slag GS off because he plays turgid, negative, sideways and backwards ball when he has a team of attacking front foot players. If you can't see that you must be Stevie Wonder !!

Even though I'm not a fan of Southgate and remain skeptical of him phucking it up I do still hope with all my heart we win the Euro's though as it would be one of best experiences of my life and not many people are left alive who remember 1966 or thought they could witness a chance of winning again especially after the Iceland humiliation.

;