European Super League

Hope it goes ahead....the clubs here that want it are becoming so Boring...let em's go....
....any Manu or City fans that can't afford to get to the games..,can trot off down the road to Bury, Rochdale or Accrington. !

Hope it goes ahead....the clubs here that want it are becoming so Boring...let em's go....
....any Manu or City fans that can't afford to get to the games..,can trot off down the road to Bury, Rochdale or Accrington. !
If that was the case then yes. But they want the ESL and to milk the cash cow that is Sky.

MONEY for Rich b@stards Yachts.
.... 'Tis !

Roots and Coots:
Once upon a time...almost our whole family, one branch from Longfleet, the other from Hamworthy, had a day at Whitecliff, cheese sandwiches and lemonade...circa 1962.
Me and my cousin's , boys and girls, put down jumpers for goals.
...we split into two teams of 5... Hamworthy grandad guested for one team.. Longfleet granny for the other....
I lofted an in-swinging corner onto Grandad's head...Granny fouled him...Roger, who eventually had trials at Chelsea and Luton, struck the penalty home..( he got turned down by those clubs for being too scrawny...and ended as a regular left winger for Hamworthy Utd.)
It was FOOTBALL....raw and undiluted.
Then we watched the yachts passing in the distance.....and buggered off under the arch to Poole Park to watch Coots!

Last edited:
This WILL happen the pull of commercially huge revenues and global exposure has too much attraction to clubs like Real Madrid…Barcelona…Bayern Munich…Milan….Manchester United…and Liverpool especially these are the Goliath’s of the game!

The sooner the better I feel so that a National club game can level out and return to being more fan driven

I wish the so called big 6 would F#ck off and leave our game alone but as Rob says they want to have their cake and it eat .
The other thing that keeps cropping up in my tiny mind is this. Say the big 6 head off, how long will it be before another big 4,5 or 6 suddenly manifest and try to claim a bigger slice of the cake in the PL ?

I wish the so called big 6 would F#ck off and leave our game alone but as Rob says they want to have their cake and it eat .
The other thing that keeps cropping up in my tiny mind is this. Say the big 6 head off, how long will it be before another big 4,5 or 6 suddenly manifest and try to claim a bigger slice of the cake in the PL ?
Like us?

It's never going to be in the interest of the PL shareholders to dilute the product they're a member of by letting these clubs do both. At some point the six clubs will need to make the choice to either leave the PL or give up the idea during the regular season entirely. Go do it in the summer somewhere every 2 years or something. Leave the rest of us alone.

Last edited:

Thats a very good point and not sure how it would be managed. Structure of financial side/payments etc desperately needed. How, I have no idea (in terms of how to implement it from a 'realistic' standpoint).

Would have been disappointed/slightly upset a decade or so back if the 'big' clubs went to a super league, like the history/soul of English football would be ruined to some extent, whereas now I'm leaning towards hoping they do it. Turning into a bit of a joke at that end of the table. God knows how Leicester pulled it off.

Actually look forward to the other games, against mid to lower clubs, more now. Going into matches v the 'elite' clubs almost feels like a friendly as expectations are so low for a positive outcome.

At the rate this is going I can see the European leagues other than the English leagues merging in some sort of way, then the rich clubs can have their big league and we don’t have anything to do with it

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out as the regular fans of the "big 6" (and I'm not talking about the blokey fantasy football/Bet 365 crew who spend entire matches staring at their smart phones) begin to wake up to how much they will have lost when it comes to some of the more intangible, less sellable aspects of localised fan culture. Will they be content with away days at the same five English clubs and with less frequency? Will countless messageboard threads be devoted to finding the best pint in Turin? How will Liverpool fans actually feel about never having the chance to rub it in the faces of Everton ever again? What happens to local rivalries? It's the bread and butter of football. How much say will the owners of Newcastle have over this?

Being able to attend matches in person again has shown us how much the pandemic took away from us, actually communing with each other and the sport we love. This league... it's not really about sport. I just don't know how it's going to work.

Try an experiment on Google Earth: draw a line from Liverpool to Leeds , down to East London, round the south of London, up to Wolverhampton and back to Liverpool - it's about 450 miles long. This polygon includes all the PL clubs except the South Coast 3 and Newcastle, and a substantial number of other great clubs currently outside the PL. The longest distance between two PL clubs is us to Newcastle; 295 mile as the crow flies.
This is what makes English football work - away fans can get to every venue and back in a day by land transport, and it is the large number of away fans that gives games their atmosphere.
Remove this facility by having games scattered all around Europe, so that surface journeys take days and expensive flying is the only viable way of travelling, and the weekly involvement of huge numbers of fans will disappear and with it the great atmosphere generated by top flight League football.
For this reason I hope the European (not so) Super League will never happen.

;