Harry Arter

I thought one main reason he left us was the painful memories in his personal life which have been well documented.

If he is happy to be back and JT wants him, fair enough.

Thought once he had signed for his brother-in-law’s club and moved back nearer to his family, he would stay in London.

Arter admitted himself that his form fell off a cliff after he signed a bumper contract and that's why he eventually got dropped.

That said, like with Begovic, I don't know why anyone would write him off. Give him a chance to prove himself, if he's not good enough then don't play him.
That's not why he was dropped....he asked for a move after the Brighton game on Boxing day.....never played for us again.

He got dropped well before that, he was poor for the preceding four months and threw a hissy fit after not taking the many chances Howe gave him.
He was in and out of the team leading up to the Brighton game right enough which probably prompted his request to leave......Eddie's decision to exclude him after that wasn't down to form though.....one of the few decisions Eddie made that i really didn't agree with......cutting his nose off to spite our face imo.

It's true that we all have short selective memories at times ...yourself included it seems.....we all know why Harry was dropped ....to suggest it was down to him 'constantly performing poorly' is extremely disingenuous......he wasn't just dropped for 'quite some time' either....he was dropped for good...

Arter admitted himself that his form fell off a cliff after he signed a bumper contract and that's why he eventually got dropped....

The tragedy that befell Arter was in December 2015. After that he suffered achilles problems for the remainder of the 2015/2016 season.

The 2016/2017 season he got a new three year deal and made 35 appearances. So he wasn't properly dropped that following season.

The 2017/2018 season he got injured and once he dropped out he never properly regained his place. He made 13 appearances and that season people on here said;

Nov 2017 - '...Arter is horribly out of form...'
https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfoot...mmence-king-excellent.4279/page-3#post-141129

Nov 2017 - '...On form this season Arter should not be playing ahead of Surman or Cook...'
https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/harry-arter.550/page-34#post-144723

Feb 2018 - '...I wanted Arter dropped...'
https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/graeme-season-ticket-souness.5138/#post-161207

His last start for us was 1st January, 2018.
He went on loan to Cardiff in August, 2018.

Topfarrier said "....to suggest it was down to him 'constantly performing poorly' is extremely disingenuous..."

No, it's a fact.

People discussed it on here at the time. Even his biggest cheerleader, Dawson, acknowledged it but expected EH would pick him... but after NY Day he didn't again.

But apparently I have the selective memory!

Whats not true about it?....i couldn't read that article btw.....i do remember an article in which Harry said he went in and told Eddie after the Brighton game that he thought that it was time for him to move on....Eddie wasn't best pleased and Harry didn't a single minute for us after that ......that's undeniably true.

The tragedy that befell Arter was in December 2015. After that he suffered achilles problems for the remainder of the 2015/2016 season.

The 2016/2017 season he got a new three year deal and made 35 appearances. So he wasn't properly dropped that following season.

The 2017/2018 season he got injured and once he dropped out he never properly regained his place. He made 13 appearances and that season people on here said;

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfoot...mmence-king-excellent.4279/page-3#post-141129

Nov 2017 - '...On form this season Arter should not be playing ahead of Surman or Cook...'
https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/harry-arter.550/page-34#post-144723

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/graeme-season-ticket-souness.5138/#post-161207

Topfarrier said "....to suggest it was down to him 'constantly performing poorly' is extremely disingenuous..."

No, it's a fact.

People discussed it on here at the time. Even his biggest cheerleader, Dawson, acknowledged it but expected EH would pick him... but after NY Day he didn't again.

It's a shame that Athletic article is behind a pay wall because it clears it up with a lot of honesty from Arter. He admits he wasn't good enough and that his attitude wasn't right. Says he needed a move away before he realised that he was still suffering from grief 18 months on. Howe did everything he could, suspected Arter was bottling things up but couldn't help him open up and therefore couldn't improve his form. He had to move, I think all parties can see that now.

Hopefully though he's got all that out of his system. I don't think he should be written off yet.

That first linked thread. Could easily read the whole four pages and think that every single post was written 3 weeks ago, but nope, just shy of 3 years...

Whats not true about it?....i couldn't read that article btw.....i do remember an article in which Harry said he went in and told Eddie after the Brighton game that he thought that it was time for him to move on....Eddie wasn't best pleased and Harry didn't a single minute for us after that ......that's undeniably true.

Selected quotes:

"I remember coming back to pre-season having just signed a four-year deal,” says Harry Arter, recalling the summer when he began to question his future at Bournemouth.

“I didn’t come back in a good place, mentally. I didn’t want to be in the town. I didn’t really want to be at the club. I wasn’t myself.

“Eddie Howe couldn’t work out why. He was probably looking at me thinking, ‘What’s going on? You’ve just signed a four-year deal’. It was a lot of money the club had invested. It was a contract to say, ‘You’re going to end your career here’.

“I was not a particularly nice person to be around,” he admits. “I remember in pre-season, after I signed my deal, Eddie pulled me aside and was like, ‘What is wrong with you?’ I was like, ‘No, nothing is wrong’. I thought he was picking on me. And then we started the season and I wasn’t at it. It was so unlike me, and I didn’t realise why. I genuinely didn’t have any sort of conscious feeling towards it.

“I didn’t put it down to grief at all.”

Unknown to Arter, grief had consumed him. “I didn’t start the season particularly well,” he says. “I remember Eddie pulled me aside before we travelled to Everton, and he said, ‘You are not in the squad this weekend’. I had played the week before.

“That was it for me. I felt I could use that as an excuse to why I was down, and moaning. From that point, I never recovered my Bournemouth career.

“I wouldn’t say he gave up on me, but I don’t think he wanted to push me anymore. Our relationship became a little bit distant.

“But I just wanted a fresh start. I needed to be around my family, I needed to move away from a town that just filled me and my partner with sadness, to be honest. And we wanted to give our little one (Raine) a fresh start somewhere else.”

No, it's a fact.

Nobody believes that the reason he was dropped after the Brighton game was down to poor form.....he didn't play one single minute for us again!....
You needn't have bothered with the selective forum comments btw.....you could make a case for any player never playing for us again if you cherry picked those...

Selected quotes:

"I remember coming back to pre-season having just signed a four-year deal,” says Harry Arter, recalling the summer when he began to question his future at Bournemouth.

“I didn’t come back in a good place, mentally. I didn’t want to be in the town. I didn’t really want to be at the club. I wasn’t myself.

“Eddie Howe couldn’t work out why. He was probably looking at me thinking, ‘What’s going on? You’ve just signed a four-year deal’. It was a lot of money the club had invested. It was a contract to say, ‘You’re going to end your career here’.

“I was not a particularly nice person to be around,” he admits. “I remember in pre-season, after I signed my deal, Eddie pulled me aside and was like, ‘What is wrong with you?’ I was like, ‘No, nothing is wrong’. I thought he was picking on me. And then we started the season and I wasn’t at it. It was so unlike me, and I didn’t realise why. I genuinely didn’t have any sort of conscious feeling towards it.

“I didn’t put it down to grief at all.”

Unknown to Arter, grief had consumed him. “I didn’t start the season particularly well,” he says. “I remember Eddie pulled me aside before we travelled to Everton, and he said, ‘You are not in the squad this weekend’. I had played the week before.

“That was it for me. I felt I could use that as an excuse to why I was down, and moaning. From that point, I never recovered my Bournemouth career.

“I wouldn’t say he gave up on me, but I don’t think he wanted to push me anymore. Our relationship became a little bit distant.

“But I just wanted a fresh start. I needed to be around my family, I needed to move away from a town that just filled me and my partner with sadness, to be honest. And we wanted to give our little one (Raine) a fresh start somewhere else.”
I Think i've read that somewhere before tbh.....something very similar anyway.

It's a shame that Athletic article is behind a pay wall because it clears it up with a lot of honesty from Arter. He admits he wasn't good enough and that his attitude wasn't right. Says he needed a move away before he realised that he was still suffering from grief 18 months on. Howe did everything he could, suspected Arter was bottling things up but couldn't help him open up and therefore couldn't improve his form. He had to move, I think all parties can see that now.

Hopefully though he's got all that out of his system. I don't think he should be written off yet.

There's no doubt grief played its part. We all react to and manage grief differently, and how we handle it can change and fluctuate over time.

Take Arter, the season immediately after he appeared 35 times, but the season after that he fell away and was eventually dropped.

Bigger picture, is that many on this site are obsessed with dragging back old players.

In recent weeks people have been calling for the return of Pugh, Ritchie and Arter. Obviously Arter is still on our books but none of us know if he really wants to be here or is just stuck, waiting/hoping to move out again.

Whatever the case the squad needs a shake up and reinvigorating.

Franno, Surman and Daniels are all heroes, they always will be, but it's time to move forward. We need a few new faces, just to force competition and keep the current squad on their toes.

Nobody believes that the reason he was dropped after the Brighton game was down to poor form...

Er... I only said that he got dropped for poor form. You denied that was the case.

But... hang on... in November 2017 you were singing a different tune...

Form is temporary...class is permanent.
Harry will return to his best...of that i have no doubt and thankfully Eddie sees it the same way.

Eddie didn't. A month later Arter played his last game for us.

And you accuse me of having a selective memory!!!

Er... I only said that he got dropped for poor form. You denied that was the case.

But... hang on... in November 2017 you were singing a different tune...

Eddie didn't. A month later Arter played his last game for us.

And you accuse me of having a selective memory!!!
lol you can trawl though as many old threads as you want its not going to make your point anymore relevant.....like i said you really needn't go though all that trouble .....you only had to look though this thread to see that he was in and out of the team....he wasn't completely dropped at any stage.....he started that game against Brighton and it was only after that game when he expressed a desire to leave that he was dumped......youth team players were getting promoted to the bench instead of him.

;