I'm off

Currently thinking of visiting whilst thinking it’s a nation full of crooks.
I walked past a shop that had fags ect outside a shop on the street in Durres. I asked the guy that was showing us around why, as we all know in England that would last 5 minutes, he said it's because the Mafia run the country. Because the mafia run the streets there is literally zero petty crime. The repercussions are likely you getting chucked in the back of a van and your fingers cut off for stealing. Sounds scary but if you think about it, it makes it really safe, as long as you stay between the lines. They value their tourists as they know it can help their poor economy.

Pastel de nata tastes really good, one of the first things we buy.
They have a English shop in Almancil we stop off, on the way to Vilamoura.
Quite expensive but great for the groceries you miss from England, like mustard, pasties, english bacon and pork pies.
Yes. Problem is I eat them too much! Can get them here but taste better there.

Antarctica

You must be minted.

Always wanted to go there and still look longingly at the brochures.

When I was about 18 I had the offer to go by a mate, and get paid for it.

He was part of the British Antarctic survey group that does research and they were looking for a general dogsbody to work the boats and he had the final say so on who it was to be.

I turned it down as it was about 9 months away and I couldn't get a sabbatical from Poole council.
It's always been one of my "What if?" moments

Last edited:
You must be minted.

Always wanted to go there and still look longingly at the brochures.

When I was about 18 I had the offer to go by a mate, and get paid for it.

He was part of the British Antarctic survey group that does research and they were looking for a general dogsbody to work the boats and he had the final say so on who it was to be.

I turned it down as it was about 9 months away and I couldn't get a sabbatical from Poole council.
It's always been one of my "What if?" moments
That’s very interesting. I remember seeing an advert in the paper for people to join this - would have been mid nineties ….
I seriously considered applying and taking a completely different direction in life ….
Ultimately, didn’t have the confidence to try .

I walked past a shop that had fags ect outside a shop on the street in Durres. I asked the guy that was showing us around why, as we all know in England that would last 5 minutes, he said it's because the Mafia run the country. Because the mafia run the streets there is literally zero petty crime. The repercussions are likely you getting chucked in the back of a van and your fingers cut off for stealing. Sounds scary but if you think about it, it makes it really safe, as long as you stay between the lines. They value their tourists as they know it can help their poor economy.

They certainly supply 'the lines' in the UK at present.

They're kind of like the Amazon of the white powder world from what I've heard.

Last edited:

;