Jack Stacey

According to one website when Celtic were showing an interest and a figure of £2 million was being mentioned, Luton fans thought he was worth at least £10 million.

Difficult one for me. I said back before 2017 that Reading in no way should let go of Stacey. I said he had a lot more prospects than the likes of Michael Hector and such like who he grew up with. Reading do have a very good academy, the problem is they dont seem to have a middle man to bleed the players through which is why they havent been no where near the Premier League since the late Eamonn Dolan who was a lovely man passed away.

Stacey therefore was let go to Luton and has succeeded ever since. Could he have dispositioned Gunter in 2017/18, probably not after Gunters heroics at Euro 2016. In 2018/19, most definitely. A weaker player in Yiadom definitely did so.

I'd say he is worth a gamble but not an extortionate gamble. I've always rated him, as have the family up there. I thought they were stupid to let him go. Are we stupid to buy him for 5 million, probably not. For 10 million plus, possibly if he doesnt grow.

Set a cap of 5 million and hopefully I'm right. If he joins and does keep progressing, great. I'm fearful that paying any more and expecting a diamond may be too much out of someone who has succeeded in Leagues One and Two but nothing above

In a similar vein though, Mings and Brooks only really had half seasons at Champ level before we signed them, so I guess if the talent is there we're pretty good at bringing it out. Seems mad to say 5M is chump change but I guess it is, and if we're going to overpay to a club I'd rather it be Luton or Burton than Liverpool again

;