Jack Wilshere

Sign him up until the end of the season what’s the point in wasting time?
I want to agree, of course I don't know what kind of fitness and performance level he's at right now. If we could get back the JW from the 4-3 Liverpool game, I'd say sign him up. But if his pace, reaction time, and general technical ability have degraded too much over time, then there's no point making a sentimental signing.
But IF he is good enough to walk into our starting XI, AND he wants to join us for an exciting promotion push, then SIGN HIM UP.

I think the club are waiting to see if he can fit into team performances.Being without a club for a good two months,he would obviously have kept himself fit ,but not match fit.This is what the coaching staff are probably monitering

Our biggest problems atm are definitely a lack of clear chances being made game to game (barring the occasional maulings we’ve handed out), and also, specifically, LWB when playing a back 3 (which is a formation that has worked well on occasion and one we are likely to use many more times). Wilshere alleviates one of these problems, and I can’t for the life of me understand why we haven’t already done this deal considering what Tindall has been saying.

I just don’t see us buying another LB when we have Rico and Kelly. Rico is inarguably too good for this level at LCB, Kelly was very good in a back 4 at LCB in the PL. Both are serviceable LBs in a back 4, Rico is better imho. But both just aren’t very good LWBs- I’d give the edge to Kelly here but it’s a blunt one at best lol. I’d like to see Zemura starting at LWB because he looks far more likely to stay higher up the pitch and make it not a back 5.

However...there’s always Ritchie. Would be perfect atm, with Stanislas now injured that’s another option on the wing, and he’s been playing the wingback role for Newcastle for over a year now. Plus, he has the engine and crossing ability that we need in a back 5 when playing this way. Giving them King for Ritchie and Gayle would be a hilariously good bit of business imo.

Problem is if he signs Wilshere he probably feels he has to play. Who do you drop then? Lewis Cook is our best (outfield) player and not in a million years will he drop Jeff. From what I’ve heard I’d be shocked if this happened but if there is a bit of money available then CM is probably the last place it should be allocated.

Our biggest problems atm are definitely a lack of clear chances being made game to game (barring the occasional maulings we’ve handed out), and also, specifically, LWB when playing a back 3 (which is a formation that has worked well on occasion and one we are likely to use many more times). Wilshere alleviates one of these problems, and I can’t for the life of me understand why we haven’t already done this deal considering what Tindall has been saying.

I just don’t see us buying another LB when we have Rico and Kelly. Rico is inarguably too good for this level at LCB, Kelly was very good in a back 4 at LCB in the PL. Both are serviceable LBs in a back 4, Rico is better imho. But both just aren’t very good LWBs- I’d give the edge to Kelly here but it’s a blunt one at best lol. I’d like to see Zemura starting at LWB because he looks far more likely to stay higher up the pitch and make it not a back 5.

However...there’s always Ritchie. Would be perfect atm, with Stanislas now injured that’s another option on the wing, and he’s been playing the wingback role for Newcastle for over a year now. Plus, he has the engine and crossing ability that we need in a back 5 when playing this way. Giving them King for Ritchie and Gayle would be a hilariously good bit of business imo.
Ritchie and Gayle are both the wrong side of 30 and on over 50k plus apiece, about as much chance of Fletch coming out of retirement and banging in 20 goals as there is of us signing them.

Problem is if he signs Wilshere he probably feels he has to play. Who do you drop then? Lewis Cook is our best (outfield) player and not in a million years will he drop Jeff. From what I’ve heard I’d be shocked if this happened but if there is a bit of money available then CM is probably the last place it should be allocated.
Stanislas is injured, and Danjuma is about to return, so it makes sense to play Jack in the 10 role, Arnie on the left and Brooks on the right. So nobody gets dropped.

Ritchie and Gayle are both the wrong side of 30 and on over 50k plus apiece, about as much chance of Fletch coming out of retirement and banging in 20 goals as there is of us signing them.

I’m just repeating an earlier rumour that I heard which I, tbf, prefaced as being a potentially “hilariously good” bit of business. As in, “wow, that would be great if we pulled it off!”. I would be happy with Ritchie and some cash for King tbh; Gayle would be a nice bonus. You have to factor in losing Kings wages being fairly substantial too.

Not sure the age factors in as much of a problem considering how young and shallow our squad is; we have the 9th youngest squad in the league and 7th smallest, so it’s not like we’re running on fumes in terms of youth.

Ritchie and Gayle are proven quality at this level. Gayle especially. King leaving in this scenario leaves us with 2 strikers and Surridge and Solanke are very different types of player, so would solve two problems very easily.

Kermogant is a great example of a player that was the wrong side of 30 but proved to be exactly what we needed, for example. We needed that second striker to go up then, and we need an answer at LWB now, as well as more chances being created for the frontline. On paper, Wilshere and Ritchie solve both these problems for me.

I think Gayle would be a bad move as I do not think he guarantees goals as some suggest. Ritchie on the other hand, would be a brilliant move, versatile and will be the only one in the team who can put a cross in. My wishlist:
1) Jack Wilshere
2) Scott Twine
3) Callum Styles

But I only expect to see one come in

Edit: Although, if King leaves in this window we should go for Gayle on loan, as NW98 has suggested

Last edited:
A match fit Wilshere can open up a defence with a class pass or lob over the top, we saw it when he was here the last time.

That would suit Solanke to nip in and hopefully score.

But you also don’t want to upset the players we already have.

A happy united dressing room is more important than any individual player.

A match fit Wilshere can open up a defence with a class pass or lob over the top, we saw it when he was here the last time.

That would suit Solanke to nip in and hopefully score.

But you also don’t want to upset the players we already have.

A happy united dressing room is more important than any individual player.

that is fine but apart from the odd solanke run if he’s not looking for it to feet or Stanislas going behind , no one else goes beyond .
Have the best passers in the world but you need players running in behind .
How many times did our wings backs get to the byline yesterday, not many if any

Everyone assumes it's us delaying signing Jack. It could be possible he is weighing up options, which won't materialise until end of or after window closes. Maybe West Brom or Fulham might be monitoring. Maybe owners want to be sure there is no stoppage to the season before they add to wage bill.

We are still third in division, hard to beat and with lots of goals, and haven't seen any real issues with the allegedly too small squad. Picking up his registration though would let Kilkenny go out on loan as there is no chance he plays a league if Jack signs.

One other thing to consider is that he likes to play in a deep-lying position as well.

A DM pairing of him and Lerma could really defend the back 4, giving the attacking players a bit more freedom as well as better supply.

Although I like Jack, I am not sure that we need both him and Lewis, and Lewis has been in good form recently.

When Lewis is on top form he makes the team tick. But when he's not, things go wrong quickly: we need more creation in midfield to complement his skills. And if Lewis is injured we're bare in midfield (unless Kilkenny or Ofobohr show something special). Wilshere please - and quick.

Question:
Given that we're in the middle of the transfer window, and Jack is not under contract, is there a mechanism by which we could give him a "trial" game (or two) in January where he plays for us?
Would give us a chance to see what he can do in a real game, and would be good for him in that he'd be able to showcase his talents again.
Win-win.

Question:
Given that we're in the middle of the transfer window, and Jack is not under contract, is there a mechanism by which we could give him a "trial" game (or two) in January where he plays for us?
Would give us a chance to see what he can do in a real game, and would be good for him in that he'd be able to showcase his talents again.
Win-win.
Not in a league game no. He’d have to be on a contract of some description to be registered

;