Jefferson Lerma

A South American international who recently played in the knockout rounds of the World Cup, who plays in La Liga and finished safely 15th last season, and who was involved in Levante beating Barcelona in May, the only La Liga side to beat them ALL season.

Yeah he's clearly crap.

Tokelo Rantie. A South African international whose goals helped his country qualify top of his group for the Africa Cup of Nations, who played in the top leagues in 3 countries.... etc

;)

You've done a better job than his agent. He looked nothing other than ordinary in my opinion. 'South American' and 'knockout stages'....give over.

Thanks for that, Harry Arter could also possibly claim similar stats in the PL, he's also a full International as well but sadly for his CV Ireland isn't in South America.

Do you expect us to be signing players from Real Madrid because at least you've 'heard' of them?

We're Bournemouth and we're moaning about looking at a player from a midtable club some of us are just too ignorant to have heard of. It's rather ironic. We'd be quick to cry arrogance and ignorance if we and Lewis Cook were dismissed out of hand by fans of a Spanish or Italian side.

I would like to think we have other options in mind if this deal isn't possible. I also think his CV is pretty solid as far as Bournemouth targets can go.

You don't qualify for the World Cup out of the CONMEBOL region if you're a bunch of muppets, it's the world's hardest World Cup qualification route. To break into such a side and start most games this calendar year, he can't be an idiot. Hence the relevance of being a South American side's international, as opposed to......Brad Smith (or TK Rantie as above)

Give me Harry Arter of 2-3 years ago and we wouldn't be having this discussion, because we'd already have a competent tackling midfielder. We do not have that version of Arter.

Reactions: drd
I remember Eddie and Jason really sold on a particular player they had seen playing abroad, that player was Tokelo Rantie.

Unfortunately it didn’t seem to work out for him in this country.

We have had other players from abroad and it again didn’t work out.

Lys Mousset has shown he might make it where others have failed, but we will have to wait and see.

The foreign players that have proved good signings for our club have come from clubs in this country.

So Rico and Lerma if we sign him, hopefully will change our unlucky trend of signing players from abroad without experience of English football.

Other clubs on the same level as us have signed players from abroad, one club being Brighton who didn’t play a lot for Gross and he was named player of the year. The have dipped in the foreign market again, time will tell if they have bought wisely.

We’ve been here a few years now and the old guard are now actually getting old.

Eddies probably realised that just English players alone are not enough to move forward in this competitive league.

He’s probably always wanted to buy British, but with anything half decent usually snaffled up by the big few clubs it’s harder to buy British.

Don’t think our international scouting network is up to speed just yet but we have signed Rico and are trying with Lerma.

We probably have experience of international transfers to count on one or two hands.

Do you expect us to be signing players from Real Madrid because at least you've 'heard' of them?

We're Bournemouth and we're moaning about looking at a player from a midtable club some of us are just too ignorant to have heard of. It's rather ironic. We'd be quick to cry arrogance and ignorance if we and Lewis Cook were dismissed out of hand by fans of a Spanish or Italian side.

I would like to think we have other options in mind if this deal isn't possible. I also think his CV is pretty solid as far as Bournemouth targets can go.

You don't qualify for the World Cup out of the CONMEBOL region if you're a bunch of muppets, it's the world's hardest World Cup qualification route. To break into such a side and start most games this calendar year, he can't be an idiot. Hence the relevance of being a South American side's international, as opposed to......Brad Smith (or TK Rantie as above)

Give me Harry Arter of 2-3 years ago and we wouldn't be having this discussion, because we'd already have a competent tackling midfielder. We do not have that version of Arter.

The 'heard of him remark' was tongue in cheek born out of frustration from reading 15 pages of posts exactly like this.

Where did I say he was a muppet or an idiot and now I'm ignorant because you're so desperate for the club to make a signing, any signing it seems.

Lets not get all giddy here. My worry is that with Rico, Eddie stated we'd been tracking him 'all summer'. That's not long. If we've done the same with Lerma then likewise its not long, its slightly kneejerk and I actually admire Levantes stance (tinpot Spanish club) in digging their heels in because a little rich club from the UK rocked up with a load of TV money (yes I know thats how it works). If we'd done our homework we wouldn't be in this position with a week to go.

Before you jump on the tinpot spanish club remark didn't I read on here someone saying they aren't in a position to turn that sort of money down ? Well that smacks slightly of arrogance.

As for Columbia being ace, so ace they've drawn with Egypt, Australia and lost to Japan this year, which speaks volumes about the so called hardest world cup qualification route.

Anyway lets not get our knickers in a twist - he'll sign for £25 million and we can all sit in awe and admire his Godliness :)

Last edited:
As for Columbia being ace, so ace they've drawn with Egypt, Australia and lost to Japan this year, which speaks volumes about the so called hardest world cup qualification route.

You go on about arrogance and come out with this belter? Are these teams supposed to prove how crap Colombia are because they are poor? Did you watch Japan in the WC?

You go on about arrogance and come out with this belter? Are these teams supposed to prove how crap Colombia are because they are poor? Did you watch Japan in the WC?

You're missing the point. From what I've read Lerma is the real deal because he plays for Columbia, who are the real deal because they had to go through the hardest WC qualification stages which actually means the square root of naff all.

Are you really trying to win an argument using your own lack of knowledge as evidence?

Who cares who's heard of him? Most of us don't know much about any of the players we've signed in recent years - we're not Real Madrid. All that matters is how good he is and we'll find out soon enough.
Many of our fans are Quaintly overawed by life in the PL! Obsessed with Lerma!
Brookes and Rico could turn out to be our best signings and relatively low- key!
We can laugh at Watford and Brighton with their risky and venturesome transfer activity but it's better than our tedious waiting games and arguing the toss over Lerma and Tierney!
If we do get him this week it's a different scene and we will all support him!
The WCup is such a false dawn!

You're missing the point. From what I've read Lerma is the real deal because he plays for Columbia, who are the real deal because they had to go through the hardest WC qualification stages which actually means the square root of naff all.

I think people are missing the point that we were interested in him before the World Cup.

I estimate that about 10.750 of our 11,000 fans would agree with Red Houses Post!
I'd never heard of Lerma or Levante before this summer! !!!

Thought it telling that the very informative Tim Vickery, a recognised expert on South American football, didn’t know much about Lerma on a talk sport interview about possible transfers when this was first rumoured. He knows his stuff. Didn’t overly impress at World Cup either. Thus surprised Levante holding out for so much unless they are comparing him with richarlison!

I agree I am missing the point. You cherry picked a handful of their results to disprove that they are a half-decent side, which is what was being suggested. The results you picked were against other half-decent international teams. The results you didn't pick were against arguably better international teams.

Many of our fans are Quaintly overawed by life in the PL! Obsessed with Lerma!
Brookes and Rico could turn out to be our best signings and relatively low- key!
We can laugh at Watford and Brighton with their risky and venturesome transfer activity but it's better than our tedious waiting games and arguing the toss over Lerma and Tierney!
If we do get him this week it's a different scene and we will all support him!
The WCup is such a false dawn!

I would much rather our transfer strategy than Brighton or Watfords.

I think people are missing the point that we were interested in him before the World Cup.
Some of you will still be interested in him before the next WCup!
HE. .Lerma ...is not interested in YOU! Only his and his agents bank accounts! If he does come he will ,within a month or two, assuming he plays well, be slavering over moving to Liverpool etc. All the signs are there!

Some of you will still be interested in him before the next WCup!
HE. .Lerma ...is not interested in YOU! Only his and his agents bank accounts! If he does come he will ,within a month or two, assuming he plays well, be slavering over moving to Liverpool etc. All the signs are there!

We're not looking for a civil partnership with the bloke bill - we need a defensive midfielder that can fill in at right back if required. To be honest I don't care if it's this bloke or someone else as long as we get someone in those positions, whoever it is I'll be hoping they are decent.

True, some people are claiming that, however others are claiming that he's rubbish as they've never heard of either him or Levante. Both arguments are meaningless and we can band statistics and comparisons around to supporteither.

The truth is that most of us have no idea, but we have to assume Eddie does. My prediction is that we'll find out in December 2019 when he makes his long awaited debut following a bout of food poisoning taking out Gosling, Surman, Cook and Arter... ;)

I agree I am missing the point. You cherry picked a handful of their results to disprove that they are a half-decent side, which is what was being suggested. The results you picked were against other half-decent international teams. The results you didn't pick were against arguably better international teams.

Absolutely I cherry picked those results. You simply can't magic them away. That said he played 23 minutes when they beat the current World Champions in March so in all reality we must definitely sign this guy, without fail, at all costs.

Lets hope we haven't put all our eggs in one basket, I mean its not like we've never done that before is it.

Absolutely I cherry picked those results. You simply can't magic them away. That said he played 23 minutes when they beat the current World Champions in March so in all reality we must definitely sign this guy, without fail, at all costs.

Lets hope we haven't put all our eggs in one basket, I mean its not like we've never done that before is it.

I fear that it's your turn to miss my point - which is that I don't think the teams you cherry picked are bad sides so there is no need to magic them away. Japan came within a whisker of deservedly knocking Belgium out which is a lot better than most, including England and Colombia.

As I say I'm not too bothered if we sign this guy or not - or what we pay for him if we do. All that matters is we get someone in who can play in those positions - once we do let's hope they are good.

Edit: I know my previous point was about civil partnerships but 'kiss my point' was just a typo - honest!

Last edited:

;