Jefferson Lerma

As I say I'm not too bothered if we sign this guy or not - or what we pay for him if we do. All that matters is we get someone in who can play in those positions - once we do let's hope they are good.

I agree with you there but before we reach that point we need to have a full and ultimately pointless debate about something that's totally out of our hands ;)..like we do with everything.

I really hope we are looking elsewhere as well. Something still rankles with me and I guess its that value for money thing - I know it shouldn't but it does and that's simply due to our history. No issues with Ake and Begovic for example, even Defoe. Brooks looks a real prospect as Lewis Cook did, all astute signings as was the loan signing of Jack and the money involved.

This is a step into the unknown, on a different scale for me anyway. That said Mark and others have said its not the unknown, he's proven etc and have provided a degree of evidence to support their claim so fair play but when Dawson sharpens that pencil of his as bill says the proof is in the pudding. Lets sign him first but as I said please lets learn from the past and not leave ourselves short if it doesn't happen.

I agree with you there but before we reach that point we need to have a full and ultimately pointless debate about something that's totally out of our hands ;)..like we do with everything.

I really hope we are looking elsewhere as well. Something still rankles with me and I guess its that value for money thing - I know it shouldn't but it does and that's simply due to our history. No issues with Ake and Begovic for example, even Defoe. Brooks looks a real prospect as Lewis Cook did, all astute signings as was the loan signing of Jack and the money involved.

This is a step into the unknown, on a different scale for me anyway. That said Mark and others have said its not the unknown, he's proven etc and have provided a degree of evidence to support their claim so fair play but when Dawson sharpens that pencil of his as bill says the proof is in the pudding. Lets sign him first but as I said please lets learn from the past and not leave ourselves short if it doesn't happen.

Now that's just hurt my feelings - I thought all our debates were deep and meaningful;).

Obviously I hope we get value for money and tbf I'd be happy with no signings if they committed to a new ground but given that they are prioritising the squad I'd like someone in the positions that this guy can play. They are the two areas that I worry about when looking at our squad.

I think we all probably rationalise the stupid money in our own way. I've always just assumed that at some point it's going to hit the fan financially and find that takes a lot of the worrying about it away. It's probably burying my head in the sand but what else is there to do?

So, money aside I hope we get our prime targets and am not too fussed what it costs. It will only be relevant to me when Neil uses it as a stick to beat the guy if we draw with Huddersfield at some point - and as we all know there will be a Dawson premium added to the fee when that does happen so it will be an even bigger scandal.

I often agree with you but I’m really struggling with this post. I’m sure there is an alternative, but up until this point the club would have been very confident of doing the Lerma deal. He clearly wants to come and 20m is a good fee for Levante. I wouldn’t be surprised if we even advised him (indirectly) to go AWOL. Should we have signed someone else just in case the Lerma deal didn’t come off? What a waste of money that would have been should things have gone to plan with Lerma.

I have no doubt we do have alternative targets but we’re hardly likely to come out and publicise them as soon as the Lerma deal hits a roadblock. The transfer window is often a complete lottery unless you have serious money to throw around. I’ll be making my judgment of the clubs business ar 11:01pm on the day the transfer window shuts.
the official closing time is at 5pm on Thursday August 9

Not quite. It says we have made a final offer of €30 million which is what Levante have been asking for from the start.

Interesting that the article implies that there is now no sell-on clause (the prior offer, if the article is to be believed, was for €25 million, plus a further €2 million in add-ons and a 15% sell-on clause.) So we seem to have restructured rather than upped the offer.

The article says that Lerma came back from his agreed holiday early in part to demonstrate that he wasn't throwing a tantrum. He wasn't due back until August 4th.

I was impressed by the way Lerma played in the World Cup - it seemed to me he played exactly where and how he had been instructed to, and did so competently. Under Eddie I expect him to flourish.

Last edited:
I hope he’s worth it!!!

We have courted him long enough Ted. One would say we are almost desperate to get him.
If he does come, he is going to need a lot of love and understanding to settle in.

Columbia to Spain would be fairly easy to acclimatise.
Boscombe in January will be a different story.

I am willing to be his glove sponsor for the winter months.

;