Jonathan Woodgate

Do you want Woodgate in charge first game of next season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 104 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I sort of agree with you but the difference between Harry and Woodgate is that Harry recognised there were weaknesses in the team in those days. They had an horrendous pre-season and subsequently he sold Colin Clarke to Southampton pre-season. He already had a leader in Mark Newson, then he bought Tony Pulis, Carl Richards, Gerry Peyton, Trevor Aylott and later Richard Cook and Willo.

The squad in 2021 is supposed to be individually talented and arguably, walking this league, so we need a manager who can weld a bunch of players into a team.

There was a certain irony in the video on COWS of the Players having a jolly good time with their shooting practice before the last match. I wonder if someone should explain the word 'training'.

Harry was a local and knew the weaknesses when he joined the club. Woodgate probably was not aware of what exactly was on the books.
The problem Woodgate has inherited is that nobody knows what our strongest starting 11 actually is given the constant changes to the side by Tindall. Also Woodgate is expected to play Wilshere in what is an already crowded midfield with the arrival of Perason.

Harry became full time manager in 1983 and he sold Colin Clarke in 1986. Therefore he had 3 years to sort out the weaknesses whereas Woodgate has had 2 weeks and already has fans on his back.

Harry was a local and knew the weaknesses when he joined the club. Woodgate probably was not aware of what exactly was on the books.
The problem Woodgate has inherited is that nobody knows what our strongest starting 11 actually is given the constant changes to the side by Tindall. Also Woodgate is expected to play Wilshere in what is an already crowded midfield with the arrival of Perason.

Harry became full time manager in 1983 and he sold Colin Clarke in 1986. Therefore he had 3 years to sort out the weaknesses whereas Woodgate has had 2 weeks and already has fans on his back.

Why is Woodgate expected to play Wilshere?

When EH first joined us didn’t he lose the first 2 games ? Should we have sacked him then ?

I’m not saying I want woodgate as manager but after 2 positive results and ok a non attacking performance today. To judge someone after their one experience as manager and to say it will be the same is nonesense.
When JT has been sacked he is the most experience person at the club who has managed previously , even though he had only been there 2 days
I think you are right we tend to think we can win all the time, we will not. We have not got the money to improve the team so we have to make do. The manager take stick for everything , sometimes when the players do not perform even. We have to be honest we are not the side we where. This league is the hardest league to get promoted from. JW came to the club as a assistant after a couple of days he is throw in at the deep end. He has been in charge of 3 games won 2 drawn 1. He is in my opinion not doing that bad. Better than most have done on arrival at the club. Give the guy a break he didn't come here as manager, yet it was forced on him.

Nothing is forced on you, he could have said NO. I don't believe he did'nt know anything about what was going to happen, everything Neil Blake does is murky in my opinion
Do you think he would still be with club if he did not except the position?

Nothing is forced on you, he could have said NO. I don't believe he did'nt know anything about what was going to happen, everything Neil Blake does is murky in my opinion
Well he (Blake) certainly had a good grounding being Mitchell's son-in-law for a time. Prior to this I believe he was a just checkout operator at Lidl...I could be wrong of course.

Do you think he would still be with club if he did not except the position?
I like Steve Purchase but i dont think he is quite ready to be caretaker manager just yet. If JT was having to manage under that impossible game by game pressure imposed by the board i can only guess JW knew this when he joined under Neil Blakes recommendation.

I like Steve Purchase but i dont think he is quite ready to be caretaker manager just yet. If JT was having to manage under that impossible game by game pressure imposed by the board i can only guess JW knew this when he joined under Neil Blakes recommendation.
This is a bold statement what proof do you have? As far a I am aware JT called JW & asked him if he was available.

JT wanted to replace Graeme Jones.

Echo

I was looking to replace him and you are thinking in the sense of who you think is going to add something to the current group of staff you’ve got - and that can be valuable to the players.

“Jonathan was someone I spoke to on the phone a few times in the past. I was reading an article about (him) wanting to get back into football, re-invent himself and really missing it.

“It sort of almost went to the forefront of our mind that he could be a good appointment.

“I spoke to a few people that had worked with him and alongside him and they spoke very highly of him in that respect.

“Once I called Woody and we had a chat on the phone, almost straight away I knew he would be the right person to bring in.”

I think you are right we tend to think we can win all the time, we will not. We have not got the money to improve the team so we have to make do. The manager take stick for everything , sometimes when the players do not perform even. We have to be honest we are not the side we where. This league is the hardest league to get promoted from. JW came to the club as a assistant after a couple of days he is throw in at the deep end. He has been in charge of 3 games won 2 drawn 1. He is in my opinion not doing that bad. Better than most have done on arrival at the club. Give the guy a break he didn't come here as manager, yet it was forced on him.

I doubt Wilshere and Pearson cost peanuts in terms of signing on fee and wages. If signing those 2 and Long is 'making do' at this level, I wonder who our peers have been signing...

The problem with Woodgate is that his style of play at Boro was pretty uninspiring and apart from the cup game, I'm seeing the same.. Early days granted, maybe he has a vision to implement a more expansive style if given the job, but going by his previous job, this seems like another risky appointment, although probably not as bad as Tindall, who a fair few of us knew would be a complete waste of time before the appointment was announced.

Last edited:
I doubt Wilshere and Pearson cost peanuts in terms of signing on fee and wages. If signing those 2 and Long is 'making do' at this level, I wonder who our peers have been signing...

The problem with Woodgate is that his style of play at Boro was pretty uninspiring and apart from the cup game, I'm seeing the same.. Early days granted, maybe he has a vision to implement a more expansive style if given the job, but going by his previous job, this seems like another risky appointment, although probably not as bad as Tindall, who a fair few of us knew would be a complete waste of time before the appointment was announced.
I thought Wilshire was on a free, Pearson was a great bit of business But he was nearly at the end of his contract so they would not have paid a fortune for his services . My understanding was that JW was going to assist not manage. Was he not recommended to JT ? I don't think he will be given the job!

I thought Wilshire was on a free, Pearson was a great bit of business But he was nearly at the end of his contract so they would not have paid a fortune for his services . My understanding was that JW was going to assist not manage. Was he not recommended to JT ? I don't think he will be given the job!

See above re J Woodgate.

J Wilshire was a free agent.

Ben Pearson was signed for an undisclosed fee.

how much do you think Wilshere gets paid, roughly? bearing in mind he was on nearly 100k a week at west ham and decided to leave at his own accord.

how much do you think Wilshere gets paid, roughly? bearing in mind he was on nearly 100k a week at west ham and decided to leave at his own accord.

Wilshere left WHam with a pay-off as he had a fair bit of time left on his contract, unless you're suggesting he just tore it up and left with nothing? I'd be surprised.

;