Jordon Ibe

....we are always quick I guess (more so since sipping The PL chalice) to criticise players here. Ibe came with some pressure on his young shoulders and like others B Smith, Mepham, L Cook, Rico, Stacey, Brooks, and Solanke was a raw recruit and gamble with no top flight experience and along with the fact that AFCB is a smaller club than most of those we have recruited from it becomes a real test to stand up and be counted. Howe has a reputation for being a good coach to young players but this could be something that just hasn’t always been the case? From the list of new players that we have signed in his reign only half of them have probably truly worked for us....with Brooks,Callum, Fraser, Ramsdale at the top end and Ibe, B Smith, Rantie, Murray, and Defoe at the not so great end of the scale....
I have always really wanted Ibe to succeed as he was our first real PL marquee signing IF he could turn it around I would be amazed and happy!

Smith and Solanke may of been useless according to some Liverpool fans, but that doesn't follow they will be with another club......look what Charlton fans said about Francis. .....De Bruyne and Salah at Chelsea.....may be in the minority but don't think smith was given much of a chance here
Thats true but they can only judge on what they saw. De Bruyne and Salah hardly played for Chelsea did they (might be my memory) but Solanke had 30 odd appearances for Liverpool in the league and cup run outs etc.

People on here still moan about Mings ability but he is now a full England international. I think you always judge a player on how they played for your club.

Thats true but they can only judge on what they saw. De Bruyne and Salah hardly played for Chelsea did they (might be my memory) but Solanke had 30 odd appearances for Liverpool in the league and cup run outs etc.

People on here still moan about Mings ability but he is now a full England international. I think you always judge a player on how they played for your club.
People moan about Callum too. ;-)

Solanke was player of the tournament when the young England side won the World Cup.

Some other famous names have also won that award going back.

So he must have something about him.

It must be all down to confidence and belief in yourself and if that gets knocked things can go wrong for footballers and it gets harder to rebuild it.

Solanke was player of the tournament when the young England side won the World Cup.

Some other famous names have also won that award going back.

So he must have something about him.

It must be all down to confidence and belief in yourself and if that gets knocked things can go wrong for footballers and it gets harder to rebuild it.

It's a whole different world scoring goals in youth football than doing it at a senior level. Expectation is also another thing with England traditionally producing so few truly world class players. Any bright new thing appearing on the scene is hyped up as world class and buckle under the pressure and expectation.

08C01B52-4A81-4306-9983-DFC467ACB39F.png
Problem with international youth football is it doesn’t really lead on to great careers. It can.. the 1993 England under 18 squad produced some great players but also some that went non league. Here is the squad from 2010. Those players are 27/28 now. It’s not a spectacular read is it!!

Part of the issue is an assumption that if you play for a great club you must be good which doesn’t follow through.

View attachment 2725
Problem with international youth football is it doesn’t really lead on to great careers. It can.. the 1993 England under 18 squad produced some great players but also some that went non league. Here is the squad from 2010. Those players are 27/28 now. It’s not a spectacular read is it!!

Part of the issue is an assumption that if you play for a great club you must be good which doesn’t follow through.

Neil,

Loved the description of Connor Wickham. With hindsight they probably meant Mickey rather than Wayne!!!!

"There was still no contact so I spoke to the football club again and advised them if I did not have contact with the next few days I would arrest him at a football match, this had the desired effect.”
Wow.
What the heck, man . . .

not a great week for afcb on the news front! bet the pr department are loving it

:utc:

Cracking signing this has turned out ta be innit bruvs....£15 millionini smackers!
£38 fookin faaaasand A Week in his bank vault....jeepers .. the blimmin Scousers did'n only See us Comin.... they fookin drove us back and gave us a fookin catalogue!

;