Joshua King

Callum Wilson scored 8 goals in 35 matches during our relegation season, that's inconsistent! Eddie persisting with him when it was obvious he was so off-form was probably the prime cause of our going down. When Josh King played down the middle during the 2016/17, in Wilsons absence, he scored 16 times, a feat Callum never managed for us.
I agree Josh did great work down the flank but, as far as I’m concerned he should have been taken Callum’s place in 2019/20.

Josh played down the middle loads since 2016/17 and he was very inconsistent when he did. He also looked disinterested in 2019/20 after he didn't get his dream move to sit on Man United's bench. He was as much a waste of space as Fraser from that point on.

The unprovable plan B is always a 100% success for the Captain Hindsights on here but Josh King wasn't going to save our season no matter where he played.

It's all about opinions I suppose but I would have liked to see King up front more for us when Wilson was clearly out of form, to create a bit of competition as much as anything. He seems to be doing well for Newcastle, so good luck to him for that.

You could have played Ronaldo up front the season we got relegated and it wouldn't have made a difference, we created the square root of Jack for most of the season.

Saying Wilson was out of form is pretty harsh considering he was working with crumbs. King wouldn't have fared much better.

Both great players in our history, kets leave it there and look forwards.

Thought it was nearer 20 million, not 28?

Also, last minute.

In addition, weren't we thin on the ground with wingers?

Thought it was nearer 20 million, not 28?

Also, last minute.

In addition, weren't we thin on the ground with wingers?
There were many reasons for playing him on the wing in his time here…not disputing that. Also when he was central he was behind Wilson where he was stifled. His best position is playing as the lead central striker. He signed for us because Eddie promised him that’s where he’d play. When he had one consistent spell there he looked better than Wilson in my opinion and it’s proven statistically. He only ever played sporadically as the lead striker on the last man after that.

That’s also where he played when getting a hat trick in the top flight this weekend so people saying he hasn’t done it for years is completely mystifying

Isn’t that also hindsight?;):grinning:

Is the observation that he downed tools after that man united business hindsight?

Tbf Neil even you don't seem convinced that Josh King played centrally would have 'saved our season' which is presumably why you added banishing Fraser from the squad in there.

There were many reasons for playing him on the wing in his time here…not disputing that. Also when he was central he was behind Wilson where he was stifled. His best position is playing as the lead central striker. He signed for us because Eddie promised him that’s where he’d play. When he had one consistent spell there he looked better than Wilson in my opinion and it’s proven statistically. He only ever played sporadically as the lead striker on the last man after that.

That’s also where he played when getting a hat trick in the top flight this weekend so people saying he hasn’t done it for years is completely mystifying

Yeah I get what you're saying. He did look good leading tge line for sure. Not sure how many of those goals were pens though... a fair few iirc.

Is the observation that he downed tools after that man united business hindsight?

Tbf Neil even you don't seem convinced that Josh King played centrally would have 'saved our season' which is presumably why you added banishing Fraser from the squad in there.
There’s lots of things that cause relegation. Including goalpost cameras.

I meant the looking back to say he wouldn’t have saved our season was hindsight… and it was meant with a winky face thing!

Yeah I get what you're saying. He did look good leading tge line for sure. Not sure how many of those goals were pens though... a fair few iirc.
Back to the do pens count argument which I’m sure has a thread of its own somewhere that DJ is probably looking for to merge as we speak.

Best chalk two goals off Dom then and he is not as prolific as we think….ooh there’s a thread on that too

This is a thread merge nightmare for admin now…:grinning:

There’s lots of things that cause relegation. Including goalpost cameras.

I meant the looking back to say he wouldn’t have saved our season was hindsight… and it was meant with a winky face thing!

Well maybe he would have got over himself and put a shift in if he played centrally that season but I don't see many signs of it - he'd given up as a Bournemouth player by then. Fwiw I thought he was great both wide and centrally albeit inconsistent.

When he had one consistent spell there he looked better than Wilson in my opinion and it’s proven statistically. He only ever played sporadically as the lead striker on the last man after that.

It’s far from proven statistically. It’s also a flawed comparison because he didn’t even play exclusively as a 9 that season.
But as we’re trudging over old ground I’m going to post this from August 2020.

His best goal scoring form was in 2016 -2017 over the course of 2 seasons. This spell is often put down to him playing the central 9 role, which he certainly played more often, but not exclusively during this period.

He often played with Afobe and whilst he wasn’t as deep a 10 as he had been this season, he was still the 1 in behind the 1 of Afobe fairly regularly and he was wide occasionally too.

King might have preferred to have had the spotlight of that role, but his versatility meant he was, for the good of the team, shifted about. We got more out of King and other players with him in other roles. That should have been seen as a compliment to him. But every time he went on international duty we got stories of him moaning which he would then deny.

I think this is highlighted when you look at other campaigns.

King’s most prolific season was 2016/17 where he was involved in 18 goals (scoring 16). AFCB scored 45 goals.

2017/18 King was involved in 11 goals (scoring 8). AFCB scored 45 goals again.

In 2018/19 King was involved in 15 goals (scoring 12). AFCB scored 56 goals.

Back to the do pens count argument which I’m sure has a thread of its own somewhere that DJ is probably looking for to merge as we speak.

Best chalk two goals off Dom then and he is not as prolific as we think….ooh there’s a thread on that too

Can't chalk Dom's pens off in the Dom/Surridge comparison because Surridge takes, and misses, pens for them.

As a side note - I do not like the way Dom runs up to take his pens at all. Gives me no confidence that he'll score, although obviously he does.

Reactions: DJ

It's slightly different, as SDD mentions. Wilson didn't take many pens iirc. So I think it's a valid in the context of this discussion.

You expect a lot strikers tally to include pens over the season, doesn't usually get questioned, assuming most were from during play, not from the spot.

It's slightly different, as SDD mentions. Wilson didn't take many pens iirc. So I think it's a valid in the context of this discussion.

You expect a lot strikers tally to include pens over the season, doesn't usually get questioned, assuming most were from during play, not from the spot.
I was just smiling at the fact that people deduct penalties from strikers they don’t rate but leave them in for ones they do. Personally a goals a goal.

As a side note - I do not like the way Dom runs up to take his pens at all. Gives me no confidence that he'll score, although obviously he does.

Personally I used to worry about it but having watched the alternative angle he is clearly watching the keeper move. The one thing with it, as with the panenka is when he does eventually miss people will blame the run up and forget that many conventional run up kicks also get missed every week!

Personally I used to worry about it but having watched the alternative angle he is clearly watching the keeper move. The one thing with it, as with the panenka is when he does eventually miss people will blame the run up and forget that many conventional run up kicks also get missed every week!

Yeah I take a similar view with Parker's alleged sitting on narrow lead tactics. Eventually it will probably fail but you can't ignore all the times it's been successful when that happens. Neither tactic does anything for my nerves though.

Dom doesn't come across like he takes any aspect of his game for granted so I'm sure he'll be working on his pen technique regularly too.

;