Kris Temple Twitter Re January - AFCB

I get it if he goes to Brentford but why would he leave Blackburn when they're flying and join us when we're, err, not?
unless we're offering him an unrealistically lucrative contract of course?
According to Blackburn's local rag he is on just short of 30 grand a week.

From Lancs live reporter who is at Luton.

Joe Rothwell has not travelled with the squad for today's fixture - the reason for that to be explained by Mowbray this afternoon - nor have Harry Pickering and Tyrhys Dolan due to hamstring injuries.

We had to in the lower tier at QPR, but haven't seen a single person checking at Dean Court.
My boy got asked in the lower tier, but I wasn't in the upper tier.
Although they did take my (empty bottle) off me when running the gauntlet of stewards on final approach to the turnstiles.

Let me walk in with a full one in my Harrington mind....

Lancashire Telegraph

Tony Mowbray on Joe Rothwell: “There’s a bit more to it.

“I was a footballer for over 20 years and I only moved twice in my career.

“They can mess your brain about a little bit and he’s seen all the speculation, who’s to say he’s not spoken to a manager who’s promised him this and that. His agent will definitely know what a deal would be.

“At this moment, I’ve had long chats with Joe.

“It was a duel decision. If a kid is struggling and there’s a potential deal that could change the rest of his life and he wants to see.

“I don’t him want him on this pitch if we’re having to fight for our lives and I sit there and question him.

“I didn’t want to do that so we left him at home.

“Once the window closes, it will be a different conversation and if he’s still here than I will expect and his team-mates will expect 100 per cent every single game.”

Who is them?

AFCB or Brentford?

Lancs Live

“He’s expressed a desire to have the conversation with them.​
“I know the way football works, not him, but his advisors will have definitely had the conversation already.​
“He’s just playing the game.​
“I understand, I wouldn’t criticise, I wouldn’t want our supporters coming down on the wrong side of him of Joe Rothwell, it’s football.​
“I ultimately make the decision, I could have told him he’s coming on the bus but I told him to stay at home, get today out of the way and then we’ll talk again and see.​
“On Tuesday, let’s see.​
“I’ve talked through the scenario. The owners are pretty adamant that Joe Rothwell isn’t getting sold. The slight grey area is that we could add two 23 or 24-year-old players who were two really talented players in this league, why wouldn’t we do it now?​
“Why would we not use the Rothwell money for two 23-year-old footballers who are really good and give them five-year contracts and you’re making the squad better, in place of a lad who wants to go somewhere else.​
“But at the same time I understand it’s difficult for the owners to accept money for one of our better players while we’re doing so well.”​

Last edited:
Lancashire Telegraph

Tony Mowbray on Joe Rothwell: “There’s a bit more to it.

“I was a footballer for over 20 years and I only moved twice in my career.

“They can mess your brain about a little bit and he’s seen all the speculation, who’s to say he’s not spoken to a manager who’s promised him this and that. His agent will definitely know what a deal would be.

“At this moment, I’ve had long chats with Joe.

“It was a duel decision. If a kid is struggling and there’s a potential deal that could change the rest of his life and he wants to see.

“I don’t him want him on this pitch if we’re having to fight for our lives and I sit there and question him.

“I didn’t want to do that so we left him at home.

“Once the window closes, it will be a different conversation and if he’s still here than I will expect and his team-mates will expect 100 per cent every single game.”

Lancs Live

“He’s expressed a desire to have the conversation with them.​
“I know the way football works, not him, but his advisors will have definitely had the conversation already.​
“He’s just playing the game.​
“I understand, I wouldn’t criticise, I wouldn’t want our supporters coming down on the wrong side of him of Joe Rothwell, it’s football.​
“I ultimately make the decision, I could have told him he’s coming on the bus but I told him to stay at home, get today out of the way and then we’ll talk again and see.​
“On Tuesday, let’s see.​
“I’ve talked through the scenario. The owners are pretty adamant that Joe Rothwell isn’t getting sold. The slight grey area is that we could add two 23 or 24-year-old players who were two really talented players in this league, why wouldn’t we do it now?​
“Why would we not use the Rothwell money for two 23-year-old footballers who are really good and give them five-year contracts and you’re making the squad better, in place of a lad who wants to go somewhere else.​
“But at the same time I understand it’s difficult for the owners to accept money for one of our better players while we’re doing so well.”​
Sounds like he is going somewhere.

Sounds like he is going somewhere.

Rovers fans seem in the dark as well.

One says he is going to Brentford for a fee of £6 million.

This from another.

For context, Rothwell’s agent is telling reporters he can get a 6x increase on his weekly wage on a 4 year deal…

Other comments have not been very polite. :grinning:

£6m for a 28 year old with 6 months left on his contract doesn’t sound like the type of business Brentford would do. I can’t see anyone paying anywhere near.

No idea why we haven’t paid the 500k for Lawrence. We must think Rothwell is significantly better..interesting could days ahead

Thought Mowbray said he wasn't going anywhere

This from today’s story.

“I’ve talked through the scenario. The owners are pretty adamant that Joe Rothwell isn’t getting sold. The slight grey area is that we could add two 23 or 24-year-old players who were two really talented players in this league, why wouldn’t we do it now?

This from today’s story.

“I’ve talked through the scenario. The owners are pretty adamant that Joe Rothwell isn’t getting sold. The slight grey area is that we could add two 23 or 24-year-old players who were two really talented players in this league, why wouldn’t we do it now?

If there's two talented 23 year olds out there,why aren't we (or anyone else) snapping them up?

A very busy 48 hours ahead of we’re looking to sign 4 players.

3 presumably, as they’re in demand and running their current contracts down will be looking at high sign on fees and long term contracts.

Rothwell 3/4 million
Dembele 3 million
Moore 1.5 million
Lawrence 0.5/1 million

all guesswork - but we’re going to need to chuck a lot of money at this

;