Lewis Dunk

The Brighton attitude is basically that they are the only club on the planet for whom it's acceptable for the owner to pump in money, leverage any debt etc. For everyone else it's cheating. That's the point of view they start from.

Would you pick any of ours based on the game Southgate was at?

I guess not, must be hard for him with there being international games every week and some in mid week. Probably doesn't get time in his busy schedule to watch video of fringe and prospective players so he can make a balanced rather than snap judgement.

I guess not, must be hard for him with there being international games every week and some in mid week. Probably doesn't get time in his busy schedule to watch video of fringe and prospective players so he can make a balanced rather than snap judgement.

Playing devils advocate though - what is the case for Cook or any of the others to be ahead of Dunk other than he's played more games in the PL. I love Steve Cook but I can't see much to split them so maybe he's just picked the bigger bloke.

Wilson has missed loads of decent chances, Lewis Cook has struggled to get in the side. I'm not really seeing any conspiracies here.

Playing devils advocate though - what is the case for Cook or any of the others to be ahead of Dunk other than he's played more games in the PL. I love Steve Cook but I can't see much to split them so maybe he's just picked the bigger bloke.

Wilson has missed loads of decent chances, Lewis Cook has struggled to get in the side. I'm not really seeing any conspiracies here.

For Steve Cook, played 116 PL games scoring 9 goals in a team that play high risk out from the back with pace and attacking intent (allegedly the style Southgate wants to play) and he's in good form. Dunk plays in a predominantly defence minded team so is probably great at....just defending.

Which goes back to my original point that Southgate should be picking players to suit his style of play. For example at times John Stones looks like a liability defensively but Pep loves him because he fits the style of play.

For Steve Cook, played 116 PL games scoring 9 goals in a team that play high risk out from the back with pace and attacking intent (allegedly the style Southgate wants to play) and he's in good form. Dunk plays in a predominantly defence minded team so is probably great at....just defending.

Which goes back to my original point that Southgate should be picking players to suit his style of play. For example at times John Stones looks like a liability defensively but Pep loves him because he fits the style of play.

Dunk has looked half decent whenever I've seen him. Cook is also half decent. Take away the AFCB bias and it's probably a 50/50 call so you could see him going for the extra height.

Brighton are denying they have a £200 million debt, instead they like to call it 'Investment'...

Even one of there own pipes up and basically says that's a load of bollox and they accuse him of being a Palace fan:rofl:

Some absolute melons of the highest order on the NSC forum. I had to turn off after three pages as my anger was growing! One said Eddie had been sacked at Burnley.....this is just basic knowledge that he has got very wrong and now based his whole opinion around!

Others stating Eddie is too smug and arrogant for them....I really don't get those who say it, he is one of the least arrogant or smug people I've come across. Thankfully there are a small % on there who seem to have some sense but the vast majority are spouting total nonsense.

As for England - I'm not knocking Dunk as such, he's done ok overall at PL level....but I just don't understand how Steve Cook isn't even considered, despite drop outs, when he has been consistent across three and a bit PL seasons now....and is arguably having his best period for us this season so far. Just maybe....Gareth feels Dunk can play the ball out better than Cook....? But I still feel Stevo is very unlucky, same as Callum.

We all know Callum probably needs to up his conversion rate to get that call up but his all round game this season has been superb and I can't see how he isn't given a chance in these Nation League games.

Lewis Cook....he's been good in these last two games, if he now keeps this up and stays in the side going forward, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't in the next squad announced.

Dunk has looked half decent whenever I've seen him. Cook is also half decent. Take away the AFCB bias and it's probably a 50/50 call so you could see him going for the extra height.

There you go; when I've seen Dunk play he's looked half crap.

I don't think either Dunk or Cook are England material but Cook is a much better player than Dunk.

During the Championship years I went on and on about our CBs being iffy but, in fairness to Cook, since he's partnered with Ake he's become a far better player.

I worry far less about our CB's now than back when we were chasing promotion and smashing teams.

Agree in a way, although GS won't be looking back at 116 games unfortunately.

It's a shame that all the current crop of defensive players are inconsistent and prone to making mistakes - although, funnily enough, this is the area where I think Cookie has really improved.

The EPL attacking is far better than its defending, and you could pretty much throw a blanket over the English CBs and pluck any two or three out, so where is Southgate's motivation to change (especially when he sees us get gubbed at Burnley)?

However, I'd make an exception to this for Dunk, who always strikes me as an OG waiting to happen. I'd rate Cookie waaaay higher.

There you go; when I've seen Dunk play he's looked half crap.

I don't think either Dunk or Cook are England material but Cook is a much better player than Dunk.

During the Championship years I went on and on about our CBs being iffy but, in fairness to Cook, since he's partnered with Ake he's become a far better player.

I worry far less about our CB's now than back when we were chasing promotion and smashing teams.
when he first played for us in league 1 I tipped in for an England cap in the future. At that time I never considered it would be as an AFCB player

Rose and McCarthy have dropped out of the squad now (no need for 4 goalkeepers anyway).

Will Smith get a deserved call-up? Or L. Cook? Probably not. Will probably be Bertrand or something absolutely insane like Declan Rice or something.

Dunk isn't good enough to wipe Steve Cook's boots.

Southgate got us to the semis of a World Cup. Yeah but he didn't come up against Spain, Germany, Portugal, France on the way. He had it all too easy. and he is now massively overrated by some.

Dunk isn't good enough to wipe Steve Cook's boots.

Southgate got us to the semis of a World Cup. Yeah but he didn't come up against Spain, Germany, Portugal, France on the way. He had it all too easy. and he is now massively overrated by some.
Agree...Once again our Press have got hold of an individual... Southgate this time...Juiced it up to Ridiculous levels and.......in years to come you will be able read how the fashion model David Beckham didn't see eye to eye with Gareth Southgate a over the cut of a waistcoat.....that's where we are at! The football itself is Chronic as shown in that Semi- Final!
We all got a bit carried away at the time. But when you look again now at the clips..it really wasn't too special. I mean look how Messi carved up Gareths little Darlings of Tottenham !

Last edited:
It’s going to be a strange experience for those that do play, as the game is behind closed doors against Croatia.

Mind you with the money each club gets in the Premier League from Sky etc, gate receipts are peanuts so we have read.

I wonder how the players would feel without fans for their league games, they will find out tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45786476

The gift that keeps on giving. I thought he was trying to score one of his own goal specials but actually managed to clear one. Never fear though, he soon made up for it afterwards.

Listening to Willo on Solent on the way back in the car from the game, he didn’t remember Dunk getting a first yellow,

As soon as the referee showed Dunk the yellow he just walked off the pitch, not sure he waited to see the red.

The first yellow was given for a foul committed by two players where either could have gone into the book. The ref chose Dunk.

Brighton fans seem convinced he was mistakenly booked in the first instance and are querying whether they can appeal the sending off as such.

Brighton fans seem convinced he was mistakenly booked in the first instance and are querying whether they can appeal the sending off as such.
There is no right of appeal against a yellow card - end of. It can only be rescinded if the ref does so himself a nd says he made a mistake and booked the wrong player. Can't see Dean doing that.
suck it up seaweed.

;