Lloyd Kelly

Bristol City also have a sell on clause on any profit so that will eat into any money on the table.

In a way, given his contract situation, you'd hope that we'd been preparing for his departure. If Spurs come back in with a much bigger offer, maybe we can bring forward our plan

Yeah. Perhaps we're pushing/holding out for 25 mill. Difficult to turn thst down, even if he had more than 12 months left under contract.

Key thing is, do we have realistic targets we can do a deal with at this short notice? Would be crazy selling him and not having a decent replacement at both cb and lb...

I assume Kelly would be extremely interested with talking to spurs too. So there's also the possible Josh King angle that has to be considered here...

I've always been a Lloyd Kelly fan (just don't post much) and I'd be disappointed if we lose him. When playing with confidence, he is our best CB and has the most potential (I haven't seen enough of Zabarnyi to compare admittedly). At 24, he is still young for a CB and as with goalkeepers, they tend to get better with age (until the legs give up anyway).

I don't get the hate from some on here or the boos from some in the crowd, but it is all about opinions.

I think he is a better CB than a LB, but it would be interesting to see him play LB now - would he more attacking/play higher up the pitch? I know I saw Smith make more forward runs against West Ham than he did all last season, so perhaps Kelly's cautious play at LB was more to do with the managers.

The only reason I'd let him go now is if he's said he'll leave on a free in the summer.

Im not a hater...just think hes not a first choice for us as we have better. Would not like to see him go without replacing him though. Especially with Hill gone. Seems strange he was allowed out on loan without a replacement planned if they knew about this bid?

As I posted on the James Hill thread: I think the reality is that Spurs are desperate to offload dead wood, including Dier, and Kelly was one way to do so. If Spurs bought Kelly in exchange he’d then be stuck in the relatively cheap but not really wanted bucket that DJed Spence occupied last season. It would be a disastrous move for Kelly’s career.

I agree but you have to take into account the system the team want to play. If you want to press high you have to defend on the half way line else you get too stretched. Iraola has always played this way and is implementing it here. If you want to do that then we only have one quick centre back and he has to play. You can’t defend high up a pitch with slow centre backs.
I agree with Neil. It seems to me that Kelly's speed across the grass is far more important to the team this season than the money is to the club - although without knowing the financial situation and other factors it's a difficult one to properly judge.

I don't give a f√ck when he goes....but will support him while he is here.

F√ck MONEY......Football First for me.

How HE feels about things is important to him....that's wraps that up!
I’ve never not supported him and always will Hearn he’s here, I do give a fxck about the money as we will need to balance the books or we will end up like Everton, some that me clear on that!

At the end of the day it comes down to Kelly signing or not wanting to sign a new contract. If he's not interested (and I wouldn't blame him to be honest), then the club have to start seeing some money coming in, as well as going out. Someone posted higher up the thread as well, we cannot keep seeing big money players walking out the door for free.

Personally, I would like to see Kelly stay. I have not been his biggest fan of late, but that is more to do with his slow play than anything else... He's a decent CB and agree with others that comment on the fact he has pace. I'm hoping Iraola can coach him into a player more aligned in his style.

However, if Spuds come back with something around the £25m mark, and assuming we have players already earmarked (as every club should have, regardless of situation), then I would seriously consider letting Kelly leave...

I wonder if this bid had come in yesterday, we'd have let James Hill go out o loan...?

;