Marcus Tavernier

Not saying forcing players, as you say you can’t. I keep to the view don’t keep a player in final year of contract in the prem. We clearly saw what happened when we went down last time re players knowing they would be in prem regardless of whether we stayed up / with the noticeable exception of ake of course.
I don’t think it’s that simple unfortunately. Take Lerma for example, even if we tried to offload him this summer what would be his incentive to leave now? He knows if he waits a year until he is a free agent that he will be able to negotiate a far better financial deal for himself. You see so many players running contracts down for this reason. Eddie even said after Fraser left, ‘how could we sell him when there were no offers?’

Am I the only one who thinks that Phillips would be a poor signing, didn’t think he that great even in the championship. From what I hear about VDB he seems like a very promising player though.
From what you've heard, not sure we can be taking that chance, we do know Phillips fitted in well with Kelly

Not sure VDB is higher up the pecking order than Phillips at Liverpool
I don’t think either of them are even in the pecking order for Liverpool lol ask any Liverpool fan who would be the better signing though, I can be fairly certain they’d say VDB. They rate him very highly and see him as a future first team player, with Phillips they are just desperate that we give them the money!

I don’t think either of them are even in the pecking order for Liverpool lol ask any Liverpool fan who would be the better signing though, I can be fairly certain they’d say VDB. They rate him very highly and see him as a future first team player, with Phillips they are just desperate that we give them the money!
Really how many first team games has he played for Liverpool, what are they basing that opinion on? Reserve team games?

BTW I don't know who the best player is, but clearly our preferred option is Phillips

I don’t think it’s that simple unfortunately. Take Lerma for example, even if we tried to offload him this summer what would be his incentive to leave now? He knows if he waits a year until he is a free agent that he will be able to negotiate a far better financial deal for himself. You see so many players running contracts down for this reason. Eddie even said after Fraser left, ‘how could we sell him when there were no offers?’

There’s always offers it is just about how much we want to hold out for. King leaving when he did shows that. We could have sold lerma when we went down.

Really how many first team games has he played for Liverpool, what are they basing that opinion on? Reserve team games?

BTW I don't know who the best player is, but clearly our preferred option is Phillips
I think our preferred option was Phillips, not sure it is anymore. Thankfully we didn’t just pay what Liverpool were asking for as no doubt they were asking for an inflated fee knowing them. a loan for Phillips wouldn’t happen until the end of the window either when they know they can’t sell so I can’t see us loaning him.

I assume they base it from watching him play at various youth levels, from the opinions of people close to the club, from watching him in reserve games and cup games, pre season friendlies and his loan spell at Preston.

There’s always offers it is just about how much we want to hold out for. King leaving when he did shows that. We could have sold lerma when we went down.
Yes, but you’re missing the fact that a player in the last year of their deal is nearly always better off from a negotiating perspective to let it run down. A free a agent can negotiate a higher wage due to lack of transfer fee/increased interest due to being free. Even Mbappe ran his contract down at PSG which forced them to give him a 100m to stay to fight off the advances of Real Madrid

Yes, but you’re missing the fact that a player in the last year of their deal is nearly always better off from a negotiating perspective to let it run down. A free a agent can negotiate a higher wage due to lack of transfer fee/increased interest due to being free. Even Mbappe ran his contract down at PSG which forced them to give him a 100m to stay to fight off the advances of Real Madrid
Am I missing the point or choosing another view? Don’t wait till the final year!!

I’m sure we’re negotiating hard. The board/Blake/whoever will be slaughtered for paying what people perceive to be over the odds but, understandably, folks are anxious about delay. Equally I’m not sure Parker’s recent comments have helped our negotiating stance.

Just because we might be getting this over the line first doesn’t mean we won’t be getting the centre backs next.

We will.
I think you are forgetting that our recruitment team is so bad that they can only negotiate one terrible deal at a time. Apparently.

Am I the only one who thinks that Phillips would be a poor signing, didn’t think he that great even in the championship. From what I hear about VDB he seems like a very promising player though.
No you're not the only one. I agree on both players with you.

No you're not the only one. I agree on both players with you.

I don't think Nat would be bad as such, but don't quite understand the hype over him. He did alright for us. Got better as time went on, which is important, but there are other, potential better offers given the 15 million fee. I also think VDB would be better from what I've read.

The trouble is, who’s available that’s better than Phillips for a similar price?
It’s all very well to say we should be aiming to bring in a better player.

Other clubs seem to be looking at players currently in Germany. This is where the network of scouts is very important. I can't believe that others aren't available. It's perhaps just that we haven't spotted them.

Other clubs seem to be looking at players currently in Germany. This is where the network of scouts is very important. I can't believe that others aren't available. It's perhaps just that we haven't spotted them.
Completely agree. I refuse to believe that there isn’t a centre half out there better than Phillips who we could get for a similar outlay. Notts Forest signed one of the best centre backs in Germany for 12.5m for example, no way should we be paying similar for a decent championship defender.

;