Mark Travers

Inclined to agree. There are ways to disagree and people do often bring him up. It's OTT I think. The forum guidelines also make it pretty clear that respect should be shown. Maybe Waz deals with football fear that we might lose by predicting that loss so he won't be disappointed by that loss. It's a bit pessimistic but I think we've all probably done that in life before. Anyway, his predictions are entertaining sometimes. Why not just laugh rather than be nasty? Life's too short, surely.

As for Travers, I wasn't sure he was ready at the start of the season. He seemed really edgy and didn't command the box that well well in pre season and the first couple of matches even though his shot stopping ability couldn't be questioned. He's just grown and grown, though and now oozes confidence and has a real commanding presence. I think having Cahill there early on probably helped him with his calming presence. Anyway, he was ready and I was wrong. Very glad I was:)
…respect works both ways.

We don’t know him. He might be a kid. He might be mentally unstable. Or he might be normal and just a tosser. I just don’t agree with piling on people who you don’t know. Too dangerous.
Once again you conveniently ignore the point about self responsibility. If somebody is of a certain disposition then they have a responsibility not to put themselves in a position they may find difficult for whatever reason…and Waz is more than capable of dishing it out!

I'm with Neil here. If he annoys you that much put him on ignore (I did). But the pack mentality against him is a bit OTT. The guy just needs to learn how to say "I think".

I don't think there's a 'pack mentality'.

People were mainly attacking his increasingly ludicrous posts, although he does also offer some good/interesting insights.

The persistence and tone of his posts meant it was highly likely he'd rub an increasing amount of posters up the wrong way. Including many who generally come across as decent well balanced, patient people.

He needs to look at his own conduct tbh, if he continues in a similar the vein, the 'abuse' will continue. He's basically alienated himself, it's not like it's happened for no reason.

People are of course free to post what they want, but to expect people in certain audiences (afcb forum) to just sit back over a prolonged period when posting that kind of stuff is naive imo.

Although you did mention him first post of the Forest Thoughts thread ;-)
First line of the first post actually! Fair point, I was referring to the fact that he's normally first to start up the post match threads after a loss.

I'm not a Waz apologist by any stretch, just think it reached a point where there are more threads about him than the team!

Mark travers has improved greatly this season.he has filled out his frame and has matured and is far more confident as a person on and off the field.watching someone like mark develop from a young age into the player he is now has been great to see.he was allways tall and very quiet when he was younger, but now he has filled his frame and can only get better.

Yep, certainly has more presence about him now. No doubt due to confidence and physical stature growing.

Good reason keepers don;t tend to reach their peaks until a few years after outfield players typically.

A big well done to "my mate Mark", although he looked a great prospect, I don't think many thought he would be the cornerstone of the best defence in the Championship, this season : )

Not only due to him and his obvious natural goalkeeping reflexes but I think there's some credit due to the goalkeeping coaches. His distribution, positioning and game management have come on leaps and bounds, as well as slow motion falling on a ball he's already got in his arms : )

I was a big fan of Neil Moss but from the first pre-match warm up I've been impressed with the new keeper coaches. The drills are more intense for the 3 keepers warming up. Not only physically but mentally as well, even when they're recovering, there's no resting. Someone's chatting to them all the time : )

Ps maybe more credit is due to the Super Scotty Parker Coaching Crew. Looking back to the last international break, we've played 10 matches in 5 weeks, won 6 drew 3 lost 1. That's impressive ( to me anyway ) : )

I get your point, but it’s one person disagreeing with you, give him it back as he entered the arena. That’s a lot different than a board pile on that could make you feel very isolated.

I'm sure it does, but why doesn;t he step forwards showing some humility, or something to endear him more to the people he's alienated?

He hasn;t shown any indication of being 'wrong' as far as I'm aware. Also the mental health thing has come up before during the course of the season with him, and from his responses, seems he's not in that boat at all.

As it stands from your comments, it seems everyone has to accommodate him, whilst he shows little to no indication that he's willing to play his part. Too many 'what if's' imo. What about posters who may be suffering issues, and driven away from an outlet by him... I guess theress' always the ignore button.

If he has mental health issues, perhaps its worth him pm'ing a few people, if he doesn;t want to share on the board. Or if too proud to put hands up and change ways, step away for a while, perhaps come back with a new ID, if not willing to 'toe the line' to certain degree, as is usually the case for fitting in with any community... or face being driven out. If he continues posting in the current vein, theres no way he's going to stop getting the sort of responses we've seen. That may be harsh, but thats the reality imo, good luck changing that dynamic any time soon.

Last edited:
The goalkeeper injury crisis at Newcastle at the start of the season did us a favour. Without doubt woodman would have been no 1 if he came then.
For next season we need an experienced no 2 who can be called upon if required, we have our young keeper. Someone like a Wayne Hennesey

A big well done to "my mate Mark", although he looked a great prospect, I don't think many thought he would be the cornerstone of the best defence in the Championship, this season : )

Not only due to him and his obvious natural goalkeeping reflexes but I think there's some credit due to the goalkeeping coaches. His distribution, positioning and game management have come on leaps and bounds, as well as slow motion falling on a ball he's already got in his arms : )

I was a big fan of Neil Moss but from the first pre-match warm up I've been impressed with the new keeper coaches. The drills are more intense for the 3 keepers warming up. Not only physically but mentally as well, even when they're recovering, there's no resting. Someone's chatting to them all the time : )

Ps maybe more credit is due to the Super Scotty Parker Coaching Crew. Looking back to the last international break, we've played 10 matches in 5 weeks, won 6 drew 3 lost 1. That's impressive ( to me anyway ) : )

We often see him stood calling out on the touchline when there is a set piece being taken, hear comments from fans what’s he on about now, as Burch is calling out to the players.

Maybe this piece from Jacob Tanswell will shed some light on it.

But the sight of Rob Burch, the 6ft 2in tall goalkeeper-turned-goalkeeping coach, striding towards the touchline is arguably the most periodic and purposeful of all. Almost unfailingly, Burch is called into action whenever Bournemouth are about to defend a set piece.

The moment a corner or free kick is ceded, an open invitation is given for Burch to have the technical area all to himself, where he can establish a spot best to mobilise the players. Deep free kicks are often followed by frequent shouts to those at either the front or back post, where he attempts to catch their attention before, similarly to a parent getting out of the car to instruct their their teenage child on how to back into a parking bay, furiously gesturing to the said player to adjust their position.

https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/football-news/touchline-trips-proposing-live-tv-5997632

Last edited:

Agree with this; two points that came to mind when I read the post, firstly the famous comment about not being able to win the league with kids and secondly when the young Mark was sent into the Lion's den against Spurs and stopped everything they could throw at us and we won, admittedly against nine men in the end but still.

As back up to Travers who has earned the number 1 shirt.

He has, but as much as we love him, theres always room for improvement.

Have to trust Parker, who sees him every day. Theres a chance he may feel PL is a bridge to far for Travers at this point in his career... he may not, but who knows.

Once again you conveniently ignore the point about self responsibility. If somebody is of a certain disposition then they have a responsibility not to put themselves in a position they may find difficult for whatever reason…and Waz is more than capable of dishing it out!
I’m not ignoring it. I’m not particularly just referring to Waz, more all types of on line pile ons. I’m probably particularly sensitive to mental health issues having them in my wider family.

It’s not as easy as saying don’t put yourself in the position. Some people can’t help it. If mental health was that simple then we could ask bulimics to not put themselves in the position of loads of cakes or alcoholics to not put themselves in the position of buying booze.

As you know I’m happy to post as ruthlessly as anyone on here but in an individual debate. Once people start playing the poster en masse, not the post individually it becomes playground bullying in my eyes.

So, I’m not saying Waz is one thing or another, never met him, I just read some of the gang ups and feel uncomfortable. Just my personal opinion.

Loads of great points to be made about Travers' game but one in particular is how good he is at booting it under pressure. Dare I say it but whenever he's given a pass back under pressure he hits it no problem whether it's bobbling around or not. He generally finds a man or at least puts it in a good area and very rarely directly out.

I’m not ignoring it. I’m not particularly just referring to Waz, more all types of on line pile ons. I’m probably particularly sensitive to mental health issues having them in my wider family.

It’s not as easy as saying don’t put yourself in the position. Some people can’t help it. If mental health was that simple then we could ask bulimics to not put themselves in the position of loads of cakes or alcoholics to not put themselves in the position of buying booze.

As you know I’m happy to post as ruthlessly as anyone on here but in an individual debate. Once people start playing the poster en masse, not the post individually it becomes playground bullying in my eyes.

So, I’m not saying Waz is one thing or another, never met him, I just read some of the gang ups and feel uncomfortable. Just my personal opinion.

Does the empathetic approach not apply to booing players? (whole team I know, not just one).

Loads of great points to be made about Travers' game but one in particular is how good he is at booting it under pressure. Dare I say it but whenever he's given a pass back under pressure he hits it no problem whether it's bobbling around or not. He generally finds a man or at least puts it in a good area and very rarely directly out.

His footwork is immense. Very much in the mould of modern era 'sweeper keepers'.

Actually you post ruthlessly about people who aren't going to hit back on here, like Tindall or Blake. Waz can reply any time he likes.

I don’t understand the talk about ganging up on Waz.
I post how I feel about his posts.
It’s on obvious a lot of others feel the same.
There’s been posters like Waz before. Redtower was one.
Constantly banging on how the club will be going bankrupt and we should model ourselves on Blackpool’s owners. That worked out well.
Max comes along and ‘whosh’ redtower disappeared.
Looks like Waz has done the same.

;