SImpson

H Wilson
Gosling
L Cook
Dobre

Solanke
Surridge

Subs: Boruc/Kilkenny/B Smith/Surman/C Wilson/Danjuma(?)/Ibe

I think Ake could be beneficial to Kelly's development in a back four...and Simpson did okay at LB v Luton....maybe rest S Cook (wrist), Franno (fatigue), Lerma(Bookings), Rico (fatigue) and Fraser(fatigue)?

Romania u21 defeated England in uefa u21 tournament in summer and looked technically very good. England had better chances but got heavily beaten. Not sure if Dobre was close to getting in to the squad or just too old?

Can't tell if you're joking but out 10 is Ibe, if you're not. ;)
He looked pretty underwhelmed to be there didn't he ? You get the feeling that he is very much on the naughty step ! Did some nice things without expending too much effort though, so definitely an asset for the U21s for as long as he's still here.

He looked pretty underwhelmed to be there didn't he ? You get the feeling that he is very much on the naughty step ! Did some nice things without expending too much effort though, so definitely an asset for the U21s for as long as he's still here.

thats exactly what i thought, which made me wonder if thats why dobre is looking good, because of the standard, but just like ibe looking good at that standard, cant make it in the full team

thats exactly what i thought, which made me wonder if thats why dobre is looking good, because of the standard, but just like ibe looking good at that standard, cant make it in the full team
Yes but to be fair I don't think that was one of the better teams they've played against in recent times, so maybe not the best yardstick to judge U21 levels in general. But certainly Ibe looked like he was playing with one leg tied behind his back and still looked pretty useful !

U21 to the first team is obviously a big step up, which is why we tend to test the U21s in cup games first. Not sure if we will do that against Arsenal though, since Eddie will probably be keen to use as many of the first team players as possible to keep some momentum going heading into the Villa game. Tough call for Eddie trying to balance the needs of the first team squad and the youth players. If he is not going to use the likes of Kilkenny and Dobre in the league, and for other reasons this year not in the cup either, then when will they get a chance to prove themselves at a higher level ? I suppose ideally their best chance is a PL appearance from the bench in a "less important fixture". Trouble is, we don't appear to have many "less important fixtures" between now and the end of the season :eek!:.
Probably a bit frustrating for our best youngsters to be so near to the first team yet in practical terms and due to current circumstances so far !

Makes you wonder why eddie doesn't play one of Kilkenny or Dobre. I think Dobre's 21 and he obviously wants to play, he turned down a loan deal, which is more than you can say for a few, it's not like the first teams on fire at the moment.

A bit annoyed dobres gone out in loan as I thought he could have been really useful and think he looks a quality player. But we've already seen Howe will do anything not to play the youth so I can't really blame him and hope he tears it up at Wigan

Not sure the battle ahead is the right time to blood the youth. Hopefully will get regular championship football and be ready either way if we go down or stay up next season.
Although pleased we kept Surridge as think he may well play a useful part in survival off the bench (hopefully not as late as 88th min though)

As long as he gets game time which lets face eddie wont give him he should go out on loan
Personally I think if Dom doesn't continue to perform he should go out on loan next year thats something we should have done with ibe but didnt

Funny thing is, their club’s live blog suggested right before the game that he could feature ... and then he’s not even on the team sheet. I was hoping to watch him too but no luck!

;