Nathan Ake

He should be playing instead of Surman in my opinion. Surman hasn't done anything wrong per se, but defensively he is lacking and I think Ake is an improvement on him. But saying that, what do I know, I don't see them everyday in training

cockbeard - 9/9/2016 11:17

DJ - 8/9/2016 20:28

I know there was a lot of conspiracy theories around at the time, but he didn't play because he was injured. I don't think Chelsea can hold a grudge on that one. :grin:

I assumed he was just no good

http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=420244

pedro3187 - 9/9/2016 07:50

He should be playing instead of Surman in my opinion. Surman hasn't done anything wrong per se, but defensively he is lacking and I think Ake is an improvement on him. But saying that, what do I know, I don't see them everyday in training
the one thing I would level at Surman and in no way am I advocating dropping him, but he seems to lack pace. When the opposition breaks and he is slightly out of position he seems to have trouble getting back to cover in time. May just be his style of running and it is just deceptive.

Not seen enough of Ake to say he would be a better option.

USCherry - 9/9/2016 13:26
the one thing I would level at Surman and in no way am I advocating dropping him, but he seems to lack pace. When the opposition breaks and he is slightly out of position he seems to have trouble getting back to cover in time. May just be his style of running and it is just deceptive.

Not seen enough of Ake to say he would be a better option.

I agree

Pace is likely Surman's main weakness. He certainly has bags of technical skills, but the mark of any player who makes it to the very top these days, it's technique married with pace. Surman would have had an even better career, established in the top flight throughout, if it wasn't for his lack of pace.

He was always one step ahead of everyone in the Championship. But the Premier League is two or three steps quicker than the Champ. And we do suffer when the opposition steal the ball from us and break through midfield.

Not that Surman shouldn't remain a regular and important player for us mind. Just that the composition of our midfield does need tweaking as we all knew it did, and now it will happen.

I like Surman..he does the simple thing well and has a great ability to read a game. I do also think is he in the camp of player we may need to change to get better.

It's not just pace, it's his one footedness that holds him slightly at the top level. He will always have to switch anything but the easiest pass into his left foot to play it and at this level that often means the moments gone or the players offside. Contrast that to an on form Arter who will pass or shoot instantly with either foot hence his better scoring/assist ratio.

Surman has a great pass completion ratio but for me most of these are short passes sideways or backwards.
When does he ever make a defence splitting through ball to a striker,or a cross field pass to set off the winger.
He has done great for us don't get me wrong but for me he is only useable in this league sitting deep in front of the defence breaking up play with say Arter and Wilshere/Cook in front of him.
If we play 4-4-2 I just don't think he has enough for this league...

In your brief spell with us you showed what an exciting talent you are. One of our best loan signings in a while and remember we have a great beach at Bournemouth much better than the sad looking kings road.

Absolutely. He should have been in from the start but still made a great impact when he finally got a look in. Still makes a lot of errors though so would have thought it would have been better to maximise game time with us this season than going back.,

A great little player with loads of potential.
Wish you could have stayed with us.
All the very best to you for the future.

He played well. He also coincided with our defensive record going to pieces. Wish him well but I'm not sure he's the Defoe level loan signing that people are suggesting.

SlowDownDerek - 8/1/2017 13:59

He played well. He also coincided with our defensive record going to pieces. Wish him well but I'm not sure he's the Defoe level loan signing that people are suggesting.
Totally agree
Maybe a permanent soon though?

One that EH 'got right'.

Huge potential from what I've seen.

Love to see him in a red and black shirt again.

In a strange way I'm sort of hoping he fails back at Chelsea.

Eddie let him down by taking so long to play him. Turns out hes quite a decent player. Too little too late from Eddie in my opinion. Doubt he'll be back....unless he's been recalled so we can sign gim permanently.

Thanks Nathan, good player with loads of potential and versatility. Humble guy too.

I hope we sign him permanently if he doesn't make it at Chelsea.

His message to AFCB fans: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPAXEu2A04w/

A lesson to be learnt I feel, these big teams expect their loanees to be played a high percentage of the loan period, obviously subject to fitness, performance and the manager's wanting to play them....

AlGard - 8/1/2017 14:27

Cheer yourselves Cherry fans..A bid has been made.

Is your source confident of getting him though? I think ake has potential but surprised if Chelsea did sell him now. Wonder if they could loan us zouma in the meantime?

;